An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Heretics Be Burned?

Patrick

Exsurge Domine (1520)  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't believe some people think that burning heretics at the stake "has been morally acceptable" at times.

And Christianity is a peaceful, non-violent religion? Haha. What a joke.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1894893' date='Jun 17 2009, 10:54 PM']You are aware that St. Joan of Arc was burned at the stake for being a heretic, right?[/quote]
By the French monarchy, not the Church.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1894970' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:55 PM']I can't believe some people think that burning heretics at the stake "has been morally acceptable" at times.

And Christianity is a peaceful, non-violent religion? Haha. What a joke.[/quote]
:busted_red: Uhoh, my "newly 'freethinking' angsty anklebiter" alarm is going off!

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1894893' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:54 PM']You are aware that St. Joan of Arc was burned at the stake for being a heretic, right?[/quote]

St. Thomas Becket was murdered in his cathedral by soldiers. Maybe the United States government should get rid of its soldeirs because they might murder a clergyman. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Vasilius Konstantinos' post='1894897' date='Jun 18 2009, 12:06 AM']DO you personally think it was right for heretics, who breathed, lived and was given life by God to walk tis planet, to be then taken out of life for the act of disagreeing with the Church?[/quote]

The Church seems to think so, and I don't plan to disagree with her.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1894970' date='Jun 18 2009, 12:55 AM']I can't believe some people think that burning heretics at the stake "has been morally acceptable" at times.

And Christianity is a peaceful, non-violent religion? Haha. What a joke.[/quote]

Take it up with Pope Leo X.

Gregoriana of Nyssa

Um.... :blink:

What about "thou shalt not kill" and the adulteress who was saved from stoning? How did we go from that to church-sponsored murder? The burning of heretics is a terrible sin that should be repented of, no matter who okayed it!

Nihil Obstat

I haven't seen silliness like this in a while. Maybe I'm willfully ignorant.

Pay attention to what we're saying please. This is not the time or place for pop culture propaganda.

[/angryrant]

I also want to clarify that I AM NOT talking to... sorry, I can't remember your screenname off the top of my head..... our Eastern Orthodox guy. I respect the fact that you're asking honest questions and not operating from the point of silly pop culture that you hear from any run of the mill 15 year old agnostic.

EDIT: Vasilius. I need to learn to be clearer. That last bit was referring to your post. :)

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Wow. I leave the forums for one night going to Vespers, and already I have a reading list. There were some dense posts back there and it will take me a little bit to get up to speed.

Thank you Vasilius, for wording better than I did the reason I was shocked, and taking up the ethics question in fullness.

EDIT: Rather, [i]some[/i] of the reason I was shocked. The notion of it being officially condoned and proclaimed ex cathedra is the other part. I still need to wade through the document interpretation section, though.

Edited by Patrick

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1895027' date='Jun 18 2009, 12:01 AM']I haven't seen silliness like this in a while. Maybe I'm willfully ignorant.

Pay attention to what we're saying please. This is not the time or place for pop culture propaganda.

[/angryrant]

I also want to clarify that I AM NOT talking to... sorry, I can't remember your screenname off the top of my head..... our Eastern Orthodox guy. I respect the fact that you're asking honest questions and not operating from the point of silly pop culture that you hear from any run of the mill 15 year old agnostic.

EDIT: Vasilius. I need to learn to be clearer. That last bit was referring to your post. :)[/quote]

Nihil, I've read and reread your post several times now, and I still can't figure out what you're referring to by "silliness" and the phrase "pop culture propaganda". Could you be a bit more specific? I'm trying to figure out if I've offended you (sorry, if I have) and you're not talking to me anymore.

Edited by Patrick

[quote name='Patrick' post='1894470' date='Jun 17 2009, 02:43 PM']My question is regarding an official proclamation from the Roman Catholic church, not the practices of the governments of the time.

For example, is this proclamation still in effect?[/quote]

"On the 31st of December, [b]1869[/b], I forced the Rt. Rev. Bishop Foley, of Chicago, to swear before the civil court, at Kankakee, that the following sentence was [b]an exact translation of the doctrine of the Church of Rome as taught today in all the Roman Catholic seminaries, colleges, and universities,[/b] through the [b]"Summa Theologica" of Thomas Aquinas[/b] (vol. iv. p. 90).
"[b]Though heretics must not be tolerated because they deserve it, we must bear with them till, by a second admonition, they may be brought back to the faith of the church. But those who, after a second admonition, remain obstinate to their errors, must not only be excommunicated, but they must be delivered to the secular power to be exterminated.[/b]""
[b][url="http://www.biblebelievers.com/chiniquy/cc50_ch01.html"]Charles Chiniquy[/url][/b]

Edited by PeteWaldo

A heretic should only be burned if she's a witch. This can be scientifically determined by comparing her weight to a duck.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1894970' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:55 PM']I can't believe some people think that burning heretics at the stake "has been morally acceptable" at times.

Indeed it would be Kitty, if that were what being a Christian is about.

Mark 12:30 [color="#000080"]And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this [is] the first commandment. 31 And the second [is] like, [namely] this, [b]Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [/b]There is none other commandment greater than these.[/color]

Matthew 5:44 [color="#000080"]But I say unto you, [b]love your enemies[/b], bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;[/color]

John 13:35 [color="#000080"][b]By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.[/b][/color]

Edited by PeteWaldo

[quote name='PeteWaldo' post='1895135' date='Jun 18 2009, 08:40 AM']Indeed it would be Kitty, if that were what being a Christian is about.[/quote]

If, during the Middle Ages when prisons weren't as great as they are now, a violent band of murderders who could not be contained in a prison went all through the country murdering citizens daily, do you think it would contrary to Christian charity for the State to execute such men?

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1894902' date='Jun 18 2009, 01:10 AM']Spread of heresy can be a greater threat than most physical ones. Mass spread of heresy can lead to mass damnation of souls to hell forever.

Before it's asked of me, I personally agree with the Popes and Church on this matter.[/quote]

You believe that God would allow Person A to go to Hell because of Person B's or People B's heresies? That God's grip on eternal matters can be messed up by whether or not the Church executes heretics? That one Heaven-bound person can be re-routed by another person's sin, without which Heaven would remain as his destination?

Edited by Paddington

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Paddington' post='1895190' date='Jun 18 2009, 10:34 AM']You believe that God would allow Person A to go to Hell because of Person B's or People B's heresies? That God's grip on eternal matters can be messed up by whether or not the Church executes heretics? That one Heaven-bound person can be re-routed by another person's sin, without which Heaven would remain as his destination?[/quote]

Person A would go to hell if he followed and believed in the heresies of Person B and did not repent before death.