An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mixed Order?

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

[quote name='Maggie' post='1895959' date='Jun 19 2009, 12:15 PM']Honey I hope you don't think I'm raining on your parade :) But don't worry about founding a new order right now. It's fun to daydream about it, but put the notebook with your ideas away for now, in a place where you can always come back to it. It would be great to visit the Franciscan Sisters! But just keep things informal, casual with them. At the present moment I think you should just enjoy your life and the prospect of an exciting new job! Just relax and take life slowly... the lady who runs my Bible study once told me when I was getting myself worked up, "God is never in a hurry and neither should you be." Good advice! If God is calling you to found a new order or enter religious life He will still be calling in a year or two :) Enjoy the day that He has given you![/quote]

I don't see it happening right now, anyway. I'm still growing spiritually very much and so I am too immature to take on such a stressful project. I will just continue to write things down as they come to me and then, someday, if I feel called to it, it will help me. Just not now. It doesn't feel like the right time. I'm planning to go on a Vocation retreat with the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal as soon as I get the time and money to do so. I've always been a little too quick with these things, especially new things, and I'm trying to slow down and take one step at a time. :))

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1895564' date='Jun 18 2009, 10:05 PM']I honestly believe it would be a worthwhile endeavor. I do have the entrepreneurial spark in me and I always thought it would be quite interesting to start an order that has roots in both Carmelite and Franciscan spirituality. I don't want to do it unless Jesus asks me, though. Maybe I should jot these ideas down on paper with collective ideas as they come to me.

I imagine that the order would be active/contemplative and would serve both the poor (since St. Therese wanted to be a missionary, and St. Francis loved the poor), and be contemplative. The horarium would not be too difficult, but I think I'd have trouble writing a rule and doing the other necessary things.

We'll see. I'll pray about it, but I still want to discern with the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. :D[/quote]

In His Love,
If you need a "slightly older" postulant to round out your start-up sisters count me in. Especially if you want a sister heavy on the contemplative and a little lighter on the actice side of things :notworthy2: I could take the Adoration hours in the middle of the night and joyfully keep Him company in the chapel all day long.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1895515' date='Jun 18 2009, 09:55 PM']Does anyone know of an order that is both Carmelite and Franciscan? I'd be very interested to check it out. I know that the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word is combined Dominican and Franciscan, so I was wondering if there was anything of the sort for someone drawn to both Carmelite and Franciscan orders?

Thanks in advance! ;)[/quote]

Here's an order that shares Carmelite and Franciscan spirituality:

[url="http://www.cmswr.org/member_communities/SMMI.htm"]The Sisters Minor of Mary Immaculate[/url]

[quote]We are an international Franciscan Religious Congregation of Women who follow the spirituality of St. Maximilian Mary Kolbe, OFM Conventual, in an active-contemplative life founded on his Total Consecration to the Immaculate. We are also spiritual daughters of Saint Therese of Lisieux...[/quote]

:)

mariaassunta

This is wonderful as it sounds, yet being a founder is a very hard thing, its not all easy, carries with it the FULL CROSS as you see from many old and recent founders of communities. What God wants, God will bring into being though. Just like to comment Ireland remains a very strong country of the faith and we have fairly new communities who have already made foundations here e.g. Sisters of the Incarnate Word, Community of St John and the friars of the Renewal. I know the Sisters are looking to make a Foundation here or in England now for the past few years too. So keep it in your prayers as well as all the religious men and women because an abuse report was released which is affecting us in many ways. Yet the church is young and strong with youth! (www.youth2000.ie)

God Bless!

InHisLove726

[quote name='Kathgirl' post='1895971' date='Jun 19 2009, 12:37 PM']In His Love,
If you need a "slightly older" postulant to round out your start-up sisters count me in. Especially if you want a sister heavy on the contemplative and a little lighter on the actice side of things :notworthy2: I could take the Adoration hours in the middle of the night and joyfully keep Him company in the chapel all day long.[/quote]

:D I'm sure that if God calls me to do this, I will let the Phatmassers know. There are several people on here that have revealed a pull to both Carmelite and Franciscan orders.

the lords sheep

[quote name='laetitia crucis' post='1895979' date='Jun 19 2009, 06:54 PM']Here's an order that shares Carmelite and Franciscan spirituality:

[url="http://www.cmswr.org/member_communities/SMMI.htm"]The Sisters Minor of Mary Immaculate[/url][/quote]

I know one of these Sisters in Italy. They're great! Maybe you should add them to your Franciscan discerning list, InHisLove...

InHisLove726

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1896480' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:16 AM']I know one of these Sisters in Italy. They're great! Maybe you should add them to your Franciscan discerning list, InHisLove...[/quote]

Perhaps I will. ;) The only thing I am not certain about is whether or not God is calling me to work with children in an apostolate. Everything else is great. We shall see! ;)

Edited by InHisLove726

[quote name='Gemma' post='1895557' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:56 AM'][url="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Founders_and_Friends/"]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Founders_and_Friends/[/url]

Sounds lovely--please be open to its development.

Need rule, constitutions, horarium, formation program, novitiate, remunerative work, stable source of habit parts and four persevering members before one can get a bishop's approval. [b]Running straight to the bishop with the idea is very premature--the charism has to develop, and be lived.
[/b]
Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

can't get the bold part of the post. As I understand it, do not tell first your bishop?
When we discern vocation, the advice is always, get a spiritual director.
Now founding communities (or what) is a very special vocation, so the bishop's help is badly needed right? After all, bishops are human, not robots. They can understand. They will let you live the charism under his supervision. Just a thought.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='tnavarro61' post='1897138' date='Jun 21 2009, 07:58 AM']can't get the bold part of the post. As I understand it, do not tell first your bishop?
When we discern vocation, the advice is always, get a spiritual director.
Now founding communities (or what) is a very special vocation, so the bishop's help is badly needed right? After all, bishops are human, not robots. They can understand. They will let you live the charism under his supervision. Just a thought.[/quote]

You're totally right, but I think she meant there is a right time to go to your bishop, and when you just have a piece of paper might not be the right time. Discerning your charism goes way beyond writing down what you think you like, and you can't very well tell your bishop what you want to do if you don't know it yourself yet :)

After that, indeed, get thee to thy bishop and do as he tells you.

InHisLove726

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1897340' date='Jun 21 2009, 06:31 AM']You're totally right, but I think she meant there is a right time to go to your bishop, and when you just have a piece of paper might not be the right time. Discerning your charism goes way beyond writing down what you think you like, and you can't very well tell your bishop what you want to do if you don't know it yourself yet :)

After that, indeed, get thee to thy bishop and do as he tells you.[/quote]

I think it would be very helpful to have a portfolio of the ideas and sketches of the habit. Someone who was starting an order would have to have a Rule determined as the most important thing is how the community will live. Then I think the second most important is what the spirituality would be like and the ministries. Since I have the kind of habit in mind, I'm thinking about making a sketch of one (very rough since I can't draw worth a flip) and keep it for future reference. :D

• 11 years later...

There are The Little Friars and Little Nuns of Jesus and Mary. They are in Louisiana and are both Carmelite and Franciscan. They evangelize through hitchhiking across the country and spreading the Gospel to those they meet along the way. 

• 2 months later...
graciandelamadrededios
On 6/18/2009 at 8:55 PM, InHisLove726 said:

Does anyone know of an order that is both Carmelite and Franciscan? I'd be very interested to check it out. I know that the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word is combined Dominican and Franciscan, so I was wondering if there was anything of the sort for someone drawn to both Carmelite and Franciscan orders?

Thanks in advance! ;)

I though you are referring to double monasteries.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios
etc

• 2 weeks later...
srmarymichael

Just found this thread . . . I have met many a CarmaFranciscan.  Or a Francarmelite.  I forget how she said it....

For example, when I entered our Franciscan Community, my classmate had just spent years as a lay Carmelite and was in a Carmel as a novice before transferring to our Community.  She of course shared with me all of the great teachings of Teresa (of Avila) and Theresa (Little Flower).  We even had retreats by Fr. Thomas Dubay on Contemplation, etc.  I later fell in love with Edith Stein and Elizabeth of the Trinity.  

St. Francis lived the Gospel and contemplation, but he did not write much about it. So the Carmelite saints are important for us to understand and learn the beauties and deep truths of Carmelite spirituality.  In my travels, I have met many other Carmelites that are "also" Franciscan and vice versa.  God is SO good!