An Old School Catholic Message Board

Solemn Profession Olam

DameAgnes

Thanks for the information on Sr. Allesandra. Please note I had NOT asked for any of the particulars as that is certainly none of my business.

I will continue to pray for her as I do for you and for all of our phatmassers and other friends who have "come out" of religion, whether willingly or not, but most especially for those who are clearly hurting - even some years later - as they continue to try to find God's will for them in their lives. I honor and respect all of you for your faithful seeking.

I was told that about half of the new ones decide to leave before solemn vows. Is that about normal for cloisters? It probably varies a bit from cloister to cloister. In most of the active orders I know, about 1/3 decide to leave at some time during formation. I'm just glad they at least give it a try. So many young people I know don't even give religious life a passing thought.

Like Dame Agnes, I find myself supporting vocations in a number of ways, by prayer and as a regular contributor to the Mater Ecclesiae Fund for vocations. As a result, I do like following updates as a community's formation program grows. It's great when you can read that a community has accepted x number of postulants or that another clothing or first profession has taken place, with a few details added. But there is no need to go beyond that.
As a mother myself, I'd be a little uncomfortable if my daughter entered the convent and her picture and activities were on view for all to see. I think people in formation are entitled to some privacy, as we know all too well, that many of them find their way back to the "civilian world".
Having said all that, I think it very appropriate when a solemn or perpetual profession ceremony takes place, that it is made public in a tasteful, joyful way. After all, this person's life is now a great gift to the Church.
Just my 2 cents.

VeniteAdoremus

stlmom and Dame Agnes, you rock.

Personally, I wouldn't like having pictures taken when I receive the habit or take my vows (deo volente). Around that, during the ceremony... well, okay, maybe :) There are certainly good arguments in favour of it, especially as I will be joining a non-cloistered community. And before and after is certainly OK.

The moments themselves are so personal, I really wouldn't like to have it over the internet for all to do... whatever they do with it. And, hey, the photographer is supposed to be praying for me at that time, not trying to find the best angle ;) (This is also why I dislike pictures of the Consecration.)

I totally understand people choosing to do have theirs published for the exact same reason, by the way. It depends on your personal feelings, I think. And if my superiors like to have them, I would let them and not think about it.