An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Extern Vocation

she_who_is_not

she_who_is_not

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1897535' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:47 AM']If a cloistered sister feels called to serve as an extern, is it allowed? I remember reading a book about the Cleveland PCPAs where a sister left the cloister to be an extern, but I don't think she had professed solemn vows yet.[/quote]

I made an apostrophe mistake in my post.

Mea Culpa.

The externs at a Dominican Monastery I know are the sweetest woman on the face of the earth. They always stop to speak to people, know the regulars to the monastery, and never seem to forget the intention you asked them to pray for. They pray in the benches with the people, and are always visible when people come into the chapel. During the day they are busy with their work, but often attend supper and recreation with the nuns. Dont worry about being on the outside, they are very close to all the nuns.
To me, it seems the best of all worlds. You spend time in prayer, are quite involved in the community life, but can drive, still go shop and meet and greet the public.
Read Mother Frances in a Right to Be Merry, I believe, when she expounds on the vocation of an extern. They are the jewels of any cloister.
My life was certainly enriched by my contacts with those externs.
AliceMary

she_who_is_not

Gemma,
The link on your site is broken. I think they have updated the website. I found the page here.
[url="http://www.carmelites.org.nz/becoming-carmelite/externsisters/"]http://www.carmelites.org.nz/becoming-carm.../externsisters/[/url]
God bless

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1897555' date='Jun 21 2009, 02:04 PM']I'm not sure what you mean... OLAM has had at least 3 externs since they moved to Hanceville in 2001... and I don't think any of the externs would be upset about someone supporting cloistered vocations. OLAM is, after all, a cloistered monastery. They don't want girls to enter as externs if they really feel called to be in the cloister.

But I wouldn't really say that they're "raking in" extern vocations at the moment... The last time someone entered was February of 2008... But they totally trust the Lord to send the right women at the right time. At the moment there are 4... Two perpetually professed and two juniors.[/quote]

OLD OLAM, dear, OLD OLAM! Down in BHM itself--actually east of there. We lived in AL from 1993-1995. When we first started visiting, they had no externs! Then the young lady entered, and like I said, she had a "where were you when I needed you" atttiude toward my apostolate.

So, in my book, now they're getting a lot of extern vocations--compared to monasteries around the country.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1897700' date='Jun 21 2009, 04:50 PM']Gemma,
The link on your site is broken. I think they have updated the website. I found the page here.
[url="http://www.carmelites.org.nz/becoming-carmelite/externsisters/"]http://www.carmelites.org.nz/becoming-carm.../externsisters/[/url]
God bless[/quote]

Thanks, I'll add it to the list of website changes I'm compiling.

Blessings,
Gemma

MissScripture

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1897485' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:12 AM']That sounds like a plausible theory.

I can't tell the difference between left and right (especially under duress), so chances are I will never learn to drive (I can navigate when the instructor says "your side!" and "my side!" instead of "left" and "right", but traffic rules involving directions are problematic).

But, well, if walking worked for St. Dominic... :)

How did people generally react to seeing you "out and about"? And do the visitors at the Shrine know the difference between an extern and a cloistered sister? ([i][Fascinating/i] topic :D )[/quote]
I totally need to adopt a "your side" and "my side" policy when getting instructions while driving! (Or giving, for that matter) I have NEVER, depsite my best efforts, been able to keep left and right straight. Given time to think, I can tell you, but otherwise I default to left, which is odd, because I'm right handed.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1897506' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:04 PM']Most of the time, surprisingly, pilgrims at the shrine seemed more shocked to see a nun than even people at the mall in Birmingham. :lol: Not that we went to the mall very often... but once we went trying to find a certain type of candle for a sister's solemn profession. Some guy called us "Chick Monks" though. That was weird. lol[/quote]
This reminds me of a story our priest told us. He went into a religion class at our parish one day (kindergartners, I think) and the teacher asked if anyone knew who he was. One little boy yelled out, "Isn't he the boy nun??" :hehehe:

Back on topic, I had always just assumed that the Externs were just told they were going to be the Externs and didn't have much say in the matter...but then, I haven't though about such things extensively, since I've only really been exposed to one cloistered order. This is really interesting to read about!

VeniteAdoremus

I actually tried to talk my community into letting me be an extern, for three great reasons (in random order):

1. the sisters' choir is perpendicular to the altar, and you sit in choir based on entrance date - the younger in religion, the nearer to the altar. This means they'd be looking at the back of someone a foot taller [i]for the rest of their lives[/i] unless they vote me prioress*.
2. I seem to have an uncanny knack for ribbons, missals and breviaries. Guests, as a rule, get mightily confused. Clearly it would help to be next to someone who can flip the right page up.
3. Sisters have pudding only on Sunday and Feasts**. Guests [i]always[/i] have pudding.

I think that, logically, everybody would agree I should be an extern.

Unfortunately we are apostolic which means there are no externs. And the sisters are remarkably stoic towards my pleas.

[quote]Back on topic, I had always just assumed that the Externs were just told they were going to be the Externs and didn't have much say in the matter...but then, I haven't though about such things extensively, since I've only really been exposed to one cloistered order. This is really interesting to read about![/quote]

This definitely differs from community to community and, moreover, changed in modern times. In many communities that still actually have them, externs take simple vows as opposed to solemn ones, and deciding whether that's your vocation goes beyond mere obedience, I would think.

I read a couple of books on the history of cloistered life, also mentioning the difference between choir nuns and... what's the term? Donate nuns? who also took simple vows as opposed to solemn. That was [i]definitely[/i] not always decided on basis of vocation. Rather unfair. Because of things like that, and things like girls entering because they don't want to marry some particular guy, I'm rather happy to become a sister in this day and age - where everybody in the community at the very least wants to [i]be[/i] there :)

I'm horribly off-topic again, sorry. Blame the 2AM. Eek, that means my history of science exam starts in 12 hours!

*:lol_pound:
** to be fair, Sr. Prioress sometimes suddenly "remembers" it's a Feast. On some calendar at least ;)