An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Extern Vocation

she_who_is_not

she_who_is_not

I've heard this described as a vocation within a vocation. Can anyone comment on the signs of an extern vocation?

You probably will like the idea of the cloister more than extern. :lol:

No, seriously... it is definitely a vocation within a vocation.

Granted I'm speaking as someone that thought she had a vocation to be an extern and did not. But I know for myself that being an extern was in many ways seemingly contradictory to what I thought "fit" for me. The cloister seemed more logical for me, because I tend to be shy and quiet, and very structured. But the Lord really did use extern life, in my case, to force me to grow, to come out of myself.

Sr. Catherine, when she was the vicar at OLAM, always was telling us that you should do the thing that is more demanding to you, that costs you more, because that's how you become a saint, in dying to yourself.

I had a hard time in the cloister because if you're not careful, it's easy to get self-absorbed, and I already have a tendency to do that... But no one is called to that, being focused on oneself. We are ALL called to give of ourselves, to sacrifice ourselves. Then there are some who wanted to be externs because they like people, they like that kind of activity, but the Lord called them to the cloister because it's a stretch beyond their natural inclinations.

There is a danger in someone leaning towards Extern life because they think it's less restricting than the cloister. Which is not really true. They both have their own demands. Externs have to be very flexible, especially with their time.

One of the important things to keep in mind about extern sisters is that they are not active religious, or even contemplative active religious. They are contemplatives that have a unique vocation to live as contemplatives without the aid of enclosure. They have to find that balance between being a friendly face to the outside world, and yet, having such a cloistered heart that they do not become friends with the world.

Sorry if I'm coming across all didactic... but I hope that helps answer some of your questions!

she_who_is_not

Zunshynn,
Thanks! You words are informative, not didactic. I really want to know. My deal is that I have a desire for the contemplative life but feel that God is calling me to (this part is explain) with my hands and words.

I think this is one reason I am so drawn to the Benedictine way of life. The charism of hospitality resonates with me.

I'm visiting an active community in the fall and hope that will help me answer some questions. I have complete trust that the path will be made clear.

I have time to keep discerning.

Digitaldame

Zunshynn's thoughtful answer rings true. A choir nun myself, I've always been impressed by the externs I've known. It certainly isn't an easier option. I've noticed that it often appeals especially to older entrants, perhaps because it allows the superior a little more flexibility with regard to individual needs than is sometimes possible within the cloister and because it may seem a less complete break with what is familiar. I think it's worth raising the question with the community you are interested in because not all communities have externs. We don't, for example, because we are small; and although no one can be made to go outside the enclosure againsther will to do the shopping or whatever (one frequent role of the extern), we all accept the need to keep the community going so currently share that sort of duty. Just to make you smile, I must add this definition of the role of an extern by Sr Marian "The principal duty of the extern nowadays is to drive the enclosed to the airport . . ." !

[quote name='Digitaldame' post='1897134' date='Jun 20 2009, 10:55 PM']Just to make you smile, I must add this definition of the role of an extern by Sr Marian "The principal duty of the extern nowadays is to drive the enclosed to the airport . . ." ![/quote]

:lol_roll: No comment!

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Digitaldame' post='1897134' date='Jun 21 2009, 07:55 AM']I must add this definition of the role of an extern by Sr Marian "The principal duty of the extern nowadays is to drive the enclosed to the airport . . ." ![/quote]

:D

So not being able to drive is a sure sign of not having an extern vocation? :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1897243' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:42 AM']:D

So not being able to drive is a sure sign of not having an extern vocation? :)[/quote]

Actually, I still don't have my license! :lol: And for much of my time as an extern I was one of the errand drivers! Not the one that does the driving... the one that accompanies the main driver when shopping. But still, that's kind of ironic. Like I said, it's often the opposite of what makes sense! Some of the cloistered sisters really MISS driving, believe it or not.

I was supposed to be working on getting my license, but it was so hard to find the time to practice. Although, interestingly, I've found practicing to be a lot better since I came home (as compared to before entering). I guess just being in the car so much, even though I wasn't actually driving, made me a lot more comfortable, more aware, or something.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1897481' date='Jun 21 2009, 06:01 PM']Actually, I still don't have my license! :lol: And for much of my time as an extern I was one of the errand drivers! Not the one that does the driving... the one that accompanies the main driver when shopping. But still, that's kind of ironic. Like I said, it's often the opposite of what makes sense! Some of the cloistered sisters really MISS driving, believe it or not.

I was supposed to be working on getting my license, but it was so hard to find the time to practice. Although, interestingly, I've found practicing to be a lot better since I came home (as compared to before entering). I guess just being in the car so much, even though I wasn't actually driving, made me a lot more comfortable, more aware, or something.[/quote]

That sounds like a plausible theory.

I can't tell the difference between left and right (especially under duress), so chances are I will never learn to drive (I can navigate when the instructor says "your side!" and "my side!" instead of "left" and "right", but traffic rules involving directions are problematic).

But, well, if walking worked for St. Dominic... :)

How did people generally react to seeing you "out and about"? And do the visitors at the Shrine know the difference between an extern and a cloistered sister? ([i][Fascinating/i] topic :D )

the lords sheep

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1897485' date='Jun 21 2009, 05:12 PM']That sounds like a plausible theory.

I can't tell the difference between left and right (especially under duress), so chances are I will never learn to drive (I can navigate when the instructor says "your side!" and "my side!" instead of "left" and "right", but traffic rules involving directions are problematic).

But, well, if walking worked for St. Dominic... :)

How did people generally react to seeing you "out and about"? And do the visitors at the Shrine know the difference between an extern and a cloistered sister? ([i][Fascinating/i] topic :D )[/quote]

I'm terrible at left and right, and I love driving. It just takes some time and practice. Sorry, complete hijack!!!

This is a fascinating conversation. I've never really though much about the extern vocation (mostly because I've never thought myself to have a contemplative vocation.) Keep the insights/experiences coming!

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1897485' date='Jun 21 2009, 09:12 AM']How did people generally react to seeing you "out and about"? And do the visitors at the Shrine know the difference between an extern and a cloistered sister? ([i][Fascinating/i] topic :D )[/quote]

Most of the time, surprisingly, pilgrims at the shrine seemed more shocked to see a nun than even people at the mall in Birmingham. :lol: Not that we went to the mall very often... but once we went trying to find a certain type of candle for a sister's solemn profession. Some guy called us "Chick Monks" though. That was weird. lol

Especially going to Birmingham, some days people would be very nice, very indifferent, or very rude. Rarely did I find too much of a mixture in one day. Once you start going out frequently though, you generally stop noticing if people stare. Plus, we generally go to the same stores, for the most part, so people would get used to us.

Like when we went grocery shopping in Cullman, they were really nice. They would ask questions while we unloaded our 2-3 very full carts, :lol: I don't know that they'd really remember us individually, but they'd notice when our veils changed, and that sort of thing. They liked to get us to break in new cashiers, :flowers: because even though we always had large orders that could be overwhelming to a new person, they knew we'd be nice to them. lol

Actually I felt really awkward at the airport... That was the first time I saw myself out of the habit, and I was like, "Sister, I look so weird!" They laughed and reminded me that everyone thought THEY looked weird. lol. But the whole trip I had this feeling that everyone was staring at me, which of course they weren't, but I just kind of expected it all of the sudden, which was funny because I didn't really feel like that in the habit.

The locals do know the difference between the cloistered sisters and the externs, and they're pretty good about letting us go about our business. Actually we used to joke that the externs were more cloistered than the cloistered sisters, because people were so used to seeing us that we just didn't interest them. But they get to meet someone in the parlor and they get all excited. Sr. Catherine always used to tell people meeting sisters in the parlor that they were fulfilling a corporal work of mercy... visiting the imprisoned!

Some pilgrims did know the difference, to some extent. It's funny though because often their understanding of the monastery and the sisters is not quite accurate, and when you try to clarify it its often as if they don't believe you, they're SO sure they know what they're talking about.

For the most part, the externs don't really talk to people at the Shrine unless they're approached because they have a lot of work to do, but of course, they always try to smile and create a warm atmosphere in that sense. There's a nice balance, as an extern, depending on your job, between working with others (especially driving and portressing) and working alone (like sacristy). Extern life has a lot of variety... cleaning toilets to changing altar cloths to buying half and half and so on! lol

she_who_is_not

If a cloistered sister feels called to serve as an extern, is it allowed? I remember reading a book about the Cleveland PCPA's where a sister left the cloister to be an extern, but I don't think she had professed solemn vows yet.

Edited by she_who_is_not

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1896801' date='Jun 20 2009, 06:36 PM']I've heard this described as a vocation within a vocation. Can anyone comment on the signs of an extern vocation?[/quote]

I have a page dedicated to the extern vocation on our main website: [url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/"]http://cloisters.tripod.com/[/url]

Click "The Cloisters" and then the extern vocation should be the top link on the left.

I know a Carmelite prioress with whom you can have an email correspondence on the subject. The Carmelites really love their externs because it allows the cloister nuns to focus on their own vocation.

OLAM must really be raking in the extern vocations. When we lived in AL, there was only one, and she got kindof upset when I told her my group supported cloistered vocations. (Upset as in, "where were you when I needed you?).

Anyway, there is some information out there regarding externs, but not a lot.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Gemma' post='1897545' date='Jun 21 2009, 10:55 AM']OLAM must really be raking in the extern vocations. When we lived in AL, there was only one, and she got kindof upset when I told her my group supported cloistered vocations. (Upset as in, "where were you when I needed you?).[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean... OLAM has had at least 3 externs since they moved to Hanceville in 2001... and I don't think any of the externs would be upset about someone supporting cloistered vocations. OLAM is, after all, a cloistered monastery. They don't want girls to enter as externs if they really feel called to be in the cloister.

But I wouldn't really say that they're "raking in" extern vocations at the moment... The last time someone entered was February of 2008... But they totally trust the Lord to send the right women at the right time. At the moment there are 4... Two perpetually professed and two juniors.

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1897535' date='Jun 21 2009, 10:47 AM']If a cloistered sister feels called to serve as an extern, is it allowed? I remember reading a book about the Cleveland PCPA's where a sister left the cloister to be an extern, but I don't think she had professed solemn vows yet.[/quote]

It can happen... The two juniors who are externs now both entered the cloister and did not come out as externs until after their canonical year (in one case after temp. profession). It's nice because the community discerns with you about changes like that, and in the past, they've always been open to letting sisters discern different things they feel like the Lord might be calling them to. One of the older externs became an extern after having left the cloister, when Mother Angelica decided to start having extern sisters.

And in certain circumstances perpetually professed Externs may later become cloistered. One of the older sisters who was an extern in Canton made solemn vows after she transferred to OLAM. However, after solemn vows one could not technically become an extern. If there is necessity, however, a solemn professed may be charged to do extern work, if she agrees, but she is still cloistered and maintains enclosure to the extent that she is able.