An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines Of Mary, Queen Of Apostles

Maria_Faustina

Maria_Faustina

The Benedictines of Mary in Kansas City, MO had several sisters profess vows this past winter (beautiful pictures [url="http://kansascatholic.blogspot.com/2009/01/benedictines-of-mary-queen-of-apostles_07.html"]here[/url] in case anyone didn't see them...but getting back on topic :) ), and I know I read somewhere then that this summer there would be a profession of vows and a couple being invested, I believe. I live in the area and would love to go (they say the Divine Office and have the Mass in Latin--and their profession ceremonies as well!). I've looked but can't find where I read that formerly. Does anyone have any information about it? The date may have already passed, but that's okay. Thank you for your help!

Pax Christi
JMJFC+

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1906326' date='Jun 30 2009, 09:00 PM']Oh, true...I guess that would give me a definite answer too. :)[/quote]

It definitely says something about VS that you come here first :)

[quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1905886' date='Jun 29 2009, 11:53 PM']The Benedictines of Mary in Kansas City, MO had several sisters profess vows this past winter (beautiful pictures [url="http://kansascatholic.blogspot.com/2009/01/benedictines-of-mary-queen-of-apostles_07.html"]here[/url] in case anyone didn't see them...but getting back on topic :) ), and I know I read somewhere then that this summer there would be a profession of vows and a couple being invested, I believe. I live in the area and would love to go (they say the Divine Office and have the Mass in Latin--and their profession ceremonies as well!). I've looked but can't find where I read that formerly. Does anyone have any information about it? The date may have already passed, but that's okay. Thank you for your help!

Pax Christi
JMJFC+[/quote]
as I am an aquaintance of M_F, I am similarly curious to hear the answer to this question. :)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1913876' date='Jul 8 2009, 02:57 AM']I think their age limit is a bit restrictive.[/quote]

Remember that they still are in the starting up process.

kavalamyself

True, certainly don't want to judge too rashly. Look at me, I've gotten turned down at two places because of my weight, and a woman in my diocese applied to an order and was turned down very gently. She was told she most likely wouldn't fit in because she was an African American. At least they were honest about her cultural needs, but it still hurts.

Gentle care is always the way to go.

VeniteAdoremus

Because of your weight? That's weird. Unless it's really giving you health trouble.

kavalamyself

I don't have health problems, in fact I exercise daily and have low blood pressure. There are discriminations on many levels in life, so I am particularly sensitive to this issue. I have been heavy since I was a child and it has not stopped me from having a successful education and work experience. However, there are some communities that are very concerned about appearances, however counter-religious that might seem. They are easy to pick out just by viewing their vocation pages. Since my first "failure" (or "life-experience" as my SD calls it), I have learned to do research before jumping in. Websites are great for this. I know it is "weird" but it is my experience. If you are really interested, I would be happy to give the private details of what I encountered, but I have no doubt a careful viewing of websites will confirm any doubts you might possibly have.

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1913926' date='Jul 7 2009, 08:02 PM']True, certainly don't want to judge too rashly. Look at me, I've gotten turned down at two places because of my weight, and a woman in my diocese applied to an order and was turned down very gently. She was told she most likely wouldn't fit in because she was an African American. At least they were honest about her cultural needs, but it still hurts.

Gentle care is always the way to go.[/quote]

Wow. That is so disappointing to read.

Also disappointing to read that there are still houses refusing women because of weight issues, unless there are specific health factors. I know that the FSGM's don't have such restrictions, and I've noted with some of the "blogging" orders (both active and contemplative) that chronicle their sisters journeys that the "chubby" ones tend to get pretty thing once they move into the structured community life. Perhaps some orders have had experiences where weight issues have been symptomatic of other problems?

I've struggled with my own weight and would hate to be turned away because of it. But perhaps negative community experiences have colored some as to their entrance requirements.

Thomist-in-Training

So, any news about summer professions or investments at the Benedictines, Maria Faustina?

Maria_Faustina

Not yet...gosh, do I really have to call them? :) It's much better now but I still get nervous talking to religious sometimes (especially cloistered contemplatives--what do you know, since I'm pretty sure that's my vocation. I feel like I'm disturbing their contemplating every time I make the phone ring with my call! :rolleyes: ). Oh well, good (however small) opportunity to get our of my comfort zone for Jesus. :love:
I'll let you know.

Today (July 11) is the big official feast day of St. Benedict. Bet this could be the day for their ceremonies :saint: .