An Old School Catholic Message Board

Birth Control!

vianney

So are you saying that it is ok for doctors to prescribe the pill for medical reasons or not?

Vianney,

She was saying that the above (having long, short cycles) are NOT valid medical reasons to take the Pill - it is not a medical reason at all actually. Having a long, short, heavy, light cycle is nothing life threatening. Prescribing the Pill for those reasons would be like prescribing the Pill to cure headaches. Sheesh, almost everyone has non-perfect cycles. The people that have the exact 28 day cycle are in the minority.

Hemophiliacs and other actual diseases/disorders that can ONLY be cured by the Pill are the only valid medical reasons.

I believe her post was trying to lay out what is not a valid medical reason and what is.

cmotherofpirl

If it is a valid medical treatment it is permissible. It depends if you will be on it permanently or just a short time. If you are unmarried it is no problem. But if you are married and on the pill, every month you coiuld be aborting your own child.

Think about the implications of that.

Ohh yah i definately agree with you guys dont get me wrong here. I am just trying to find out EXACTLY what is legite and what isnt. So my friend has ovarian sists. Is this an acceptable form of birth control?

cmotherofpirl

There is no acceptable form of birth control.

The pill is accepted for medical treatment when the goal is treatment of a medical condition. But if you are having sex you must worry about aborting your children. She should ask her docter for other options as well.

Ohh yah i definately agree with you guys dont get me wrong here. I am just trying to find out EXACTLY what is legite and what isnt. So my friend has ovarian sists. Is this an acceptable form of birth control?

It depends. She would have to talk to her doctor and see if that is the ONLY medication that is able to cure her problem. If is not, she needs to take another medication that does not act as an abortifacient. If it is the only medication available, then it is permissible.

The sure way to find out is: 1-talk to the doctor and get ALL the facts, 2-talk to a priest to make sure it is legit.

This is a pretty big issue and is not something to be glossed over or taken lightly. All the facts need to be known.

Is your friend trying to treat her cysts with hormonal birth control? Or is she using the birth control to prevent pregnancy? You should recommend that your friend try to find an NFP-only doctor (check out http://www.omsoul.com/ ) who will look for alternative treatments to this problem. Is your friend overweight? Does she suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)? Many women with PCOS have found that a modified low-carbohydrate diet helps tremendously. Is your friend married? There is no moral issue for a chaste, single women to take the Pill to treat cycle problems, though it is much more healthy and beneficial to seek out other treatments.

--Jessica

No she is not married and is NOT sexually active so that isnt it. She said bc is the only medical method that cures her ovarian sists.

Well, if she isn't married and isn't sexually active, then there's nothing morally wrong with her using the Pill to control her cysts. Still, I would recommend eventually seeking an NFP-only doctor to find a better way to treat this.

--Jessica

Sometimes there are no easy answers. I'd be happy to give you my POV from experience in IM, vianney ... but not here. Even I know when to keep it out of the phorum. LOL