An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Should I Do?

InHisLove726

osapientia

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1911738' date='Jul 5 2009, 03:45 PM']They are credit card debts, not school loans. Does anyone know of any programs or missions that help people pay off personal debts so they can enter a religious order? I only know of the ones that pay for school loans. I also need to find a way to get a job so I can afford to make trips to some monasteries that I want to visit.[/quote]

Although the bulk of their aspirants are paying off educational debt, The Laboure Society DOES take on aspirants with PERSONAL debt. Have you looked at their web site? Perhaps you can contact them? It's not the easiest way to go you must do the actual work yourself, but someone on this board who entered recently did VERY WELL with them. I know that others have not had it work out for their personal situation and I respect their experience....but perhaps you might try anyway, it might work for you as it has for some others.

Peace

InHisLove726

[quote name='osapientia' post='1912664' date='Jul 6 2009, 01:10 PM']Although the bulk of their aspirants are paying off educational debt, The Laboure Society DOES take on aspirants with PERSONAL debt. Have you looked at their web site? Perhaps you can contact them? It's not the easiest way to go you must do the actual work yourself, but someone on this board who entered recently did VERY WELL with them. I know that others have not had it work out for their personal situation and I respect their experience....but perhaps you might try anyway, it might work for you as it has for some others.

Peace[/quote]

I'm rather hesitant to contact them since my debt is so small. It's just a little over $1,000. I don't want to take money that others could use more than I could, especially those who have way more debt. I would rather find somewhere where I could work to pay off my debt. I don't want an easy way out. I made the debt, so I want to be the one to pay it off. :)

osapientia

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1912698' date='Jul 6 2009, 03:04 PM']I'm rather hesitant to contact them since my debt is so small. It's just a little over $1,000. I don't want to take money that others could use more than I could, especially those who have way more debt. I would rather find somewhere where I could work to pay off my debt. I don't want an easy way out. I made the debt, so I want to be the one to pay it off. :)[/quote]

I can understand how you feel because your debt is so smal, but you did ask in your original post if anyone knew an programs or missions that took on personal vs educational debt...that is why I offered the information.

Also, working to fund raise for Laboure is hardly the easy way out - just ask anyone who has tried it. With the way that Laboure works, the aspirant does the work to pay off the debt, though the money might not be earned via a "job" one earns every penny of what is paid off and a portion of what is raised goes to continue the work of the foundation.

*edited for typo

Edited by osapientia

InHisLove726

[quote name='osapientia' post='1912737' date='Jul 6 2009, 02:55 PM']I can understand how you feel because your debt is so smal, but you did ask in your original post if anyone knew an programs or missions that took on personal vs educational debt...that is why I offered the information.

Also, working to fund raise for Laboure is hardly the easy way out - just ask anyone who has tried it. With the way that Laboure works, the aspirant does the work to pay off the debt, though the money might not be earned via a "job" one earns every penny of what is paid off and a portion of what is raised goes to continue the work of the foundation.

*edited for typo[/quote]

I didn't know this. Sorry! I really do appreciate the help. ;) I was reading the website further before replying back to you and discovered that a list of possible candidates and organizations has to be provided by the aspirant. Is that really difficult?

FiereMargriet

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1911798' date='Jul 5 2009, 04:53 PM']As far as the job search goes, the key is to annoy, annoy, annoy. Wait 3 days after you submit an application and then call them. Say: "I submitted an application a few days ago, and I'd like to come in for an interview." If you go on an interview in the morning, put a thank you note in the mail that same afternoon. If you don't hear back a couple weeks after your interview, call them and ask about the status of your application. If the answer is no, make them tell you no. Make it incredibly hard for them to get rid of you. A lot of employers will want to take the easy way out and just not contact you. Don't let them get away with it.[/quote]

YES YES YES. This is wonderful advice. I'm still in-between childhood/high school and college, but this is how I got my first real part-time job, which ended up being a great experience. In fact, I'm on pretty good terms with my employers (Deo gratias), so it's fun for us to reminisce about how persistent I was in getting the job. (I came back three times and gave my number to three different people before they called me in for an interview.)

InHisLove, check out some restaurants. They are always hiring, even in this economic clime. I'm a hostess in a restaurant and it was/is fun sometimes (depending on your coworkers--look for nice family-owned places, although those might pay less). However, I'm probably one of the most sensitive people ever, so the nights when customers complain are VERY hard to weather sometimes. (The first few months at said job were FANTASTIC...until my second day back at work after my exchange semester, which was a disastrous New Year's Eve.) If you're moderately thick-skinned and like people, go for it! If serving doesn't appeal to you, look for hostessing or food-running positions (although you have to be pretty physically strong/coordinated for the latter). Prayers for you!

osapientia

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1912748' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:09 PM']I didn't know this. Sorry! I really do appreciate the help. ;) I was reading the website further before replying back to you and discovered that a list of possible candidates and organizations has to be provided by the aspirant. Is that really difficult?[/quote]

Well it depends upon what you think is difficult.....not that I mean to be difficult now. PM me and I'll go through some things with you...BUT....I have to say you might do just fine if you can get a good contact from the Knights of Columbus as you really do not have to pay off much debt....Laboure could be "overkill" for you....but please do feel free to PM me and we can chat more. The thing that makes Laboure such a great idea is that whoever contributes gets a tax benefit because they are a 501©(3) corporation...some folks (many I'm sure) would give to an official non-profit before they gave to an individual....in other words I think it helps to have the legitimacy/official standing of a "real" non-profit behind you.

Peace

I think that any community would want you to be working and earning a living. How can you enter a community if you dont have successful work experience? I believe that is a good indication of your commitment ability.
I offered advice on applying for a cna position, since that is the work that I do(am a nursing educator, not a cna), but you were not interested. There are alot of cna positions out there, and especially in your state.
You need to be working right now. Pursuing a vocation is wonderful, but communities need to see your work history, and you need to improve that.
Again, I do not mean to sound uncharitable, but you need to take care of your debt.

Lilllabettt

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1912629' date='Jul 6 2009, 01:23 PM']"Ah, you have a college degree in ____? Why aren't you looking for something in that field rather than applying for crummy jobs like this one?" or "What are your long-term plans with ___?"[/quote]

Your friend's advice sounds pretty good. IF the job you're applying to is in fact pretty "crummy." Many low level jobs like waitressing, housekeeping, cashiers, etc., are occupied by students and younger people "in transition" anyway. Training is minimum and turn-over is high. They don't expect most of their people to make a career out of it.

If you are interviewing for a low level job, telling people that you have plans to enter religous life may actually work in your favor in a big way, in terms of your dependability/trustworthiness.

Of course, there's a difference if you're entering a community in like, 3 months .. as opposed to say, a year. When I was in a situation where I just needed to make a some money before moving on, I found it easiest to go through a temp agency ... that way there's no commitment on either side.

Edited by Lilllabettt

InHisLove726

[quote name='alicemary' post='1912809' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:58 PM']I think that any community would want you to be working and earning a living. How can you enter a community if you dont have successful work experience? I believe that is a good indication of your commitment ability.
I offered advice on applying for a cna position, since that is the work that I do(am a nursing educator, not a cna), but you were not interested. There are alot of cna positions out there, and especially in your state.
You need to be working right now. Pursuing a vocation is wonderful, but communities need to see your work history, and you need to improve that.
Again, I do not mean to sound uncharitable, but you need to take care of your debt.[/quote]

I have applied everywhere I can think of as a Nursing Assistant, though, in my area. Do the places you know of have a relocation package? I can't afford to move with financial assistance. I have no money at all. I am even applying at low-end places like Burger King and McDonalds, even though I don't want to work there. It's a little bending of my will, at this point. Because of my past mistakes, I don't have any references, which I realize is not good, but I have to find someone willing to give me a chance before I can even think about paying off my debts. That's hard to come by in this rough economy with so many more people having more experience and good references than I do.

I do want to reiterate that I am NOT looking for a handout. I am owning up to my previous mistakes. I made them and I have every intention of making things right before entering a community. God has showed me the hard way that I am not ready for entering a community right now because I don't have everything in order.

I will PM you, alicemary. In all honesty, I forgot about your PM because I read it and then closed it out, planning to come back to it later, however, since I could not find an option to mark it unread for later reply, I forgot it was there. I do appreciate the help, tremendously, and I am praying for all of you. You have been a great help when it was needed. :) I hope I can return the favor someday!

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1912841' date='Jul 6 2009, 05:33 PM']Your friend's advice sounds pretty good. IF the job you're applying to is in fact pretty "crummy." Many low level jobs like waitressing, housekeeping, cashiers, etc., are occupied by students and younger people "in transition" anyway. Training is minimum and turn-over is high. They don't expect most of their people to make a career out of it.

If you are interviewing for a low level job, telling people that you have plans to enter religous life may actually work in your favor in a big way, in terms of your dependability/trustworthiness.

Of course, there's a difference if you're entering a community in like, 3 months .. as opposed to say, a year. When I was in a situation where I just needed to make a some money before moving on, I found it easiest to go through a temp agency ... that way there's no commitment on either side.[/quote]

See, the problem is that the time I enter is partly a function of when I get a job. But tomorrow--cross your fingers--I have an interview for a three-month library parttime job, which would be fantastic. We'll see, but I might look at temp agencies if I don't have luck. Thanks!

she_who_is_not

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1913103' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:24 PM']See, the problem is that the time I enter is partly a function of when I get a job. But tomorrow--cross your fingers--I have an interview for a three-month library parttime job, which would be fantastic. We'll see, but I might look at temp agencies if I don't have luck. Thanks![/quote]

Temp agencies are great way to get by while still looking. I really like temping because it's temporary. I can do anything for a fixed period of time. I had a really hard time finding a job when I graduated from college. I was unemployed for 4 months and then temped for one. In the one month I temped I was offered full time employment at 3 of the organizations I worked for and received offers at two places I had interviewed with previously.

You are in my prayers!!

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1913113' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:30 PM']Temp agencies are great way to get by while still looking. I really like temping because it's temporary. I can do anything for a fixed period of time. I had a really hard time finding a job when I graduated from college. I was unemployed for 4 months and then temped for one. In the one month I temped I was offered full time employment at 3 of the organizations I worked for and received offers at two places I had interviewed with previously.

You are in my prayers!![/quote]

Thank you!

kavalamyself

Ignore the uncharitable nay-sayers. God will handle all. Pray to your guardian angel and ask your angel to take care of this problem.

Take gentle care,
Kavala