An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summit Dominicans

VeniteAdoremus

VeniteAdoremus

It's [url="http://nunsopsummit.org/"]here[/url] and it's gorgeous.

Please pray that their new postulant Janlyn gets her visa sorted and can enter on the Feast of St. Dominic!

kavalamyself

I like this page. [url="http://nunsopsummit.org/history/"]http://nunsopsummit.org/history/[/url]

How come some of the nuns wear scapulars that are dark.

Also, that is Mother Mary Francis! RIP

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1913765' date='Jul 8 2009, 12:57 AM']I like this page. [url="http://nunsopsummit.org/history/"]http://nunsopsummit.org/history/[/url]

How come some of the nuns wear scapulars that are dark.

Also, that is Mother Mary Francis! RIP[/quote]

The nuns with the dark scapulars are the equivalent of the still-existing "cooperator brother". The nuns with the white scapulars (and, after profession, black veils) are "choir nuns". The black scapulars, while also vowed and contemplative, concentrated more on keeping the convent running so the choir nuns could spend more time in prayer. With the Dominicans, there's no difference anymore. I think only the Carthusians kept it.

kavalamyself

Thanks, Venite. Is that like an "Extern" nun or more like an "Oblate" or "Donate" ? Also, did anybody see how much money they raised?! Holy moly!
TIA,
Kavala

Edited by kavalamyself

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1913817' date='Jul 8 2009, 01:54 AM']Thanks, Venite. Is that like an "Extern" nun or more like an "Oblate" or "Donate" ? Also, did anybody see how much money they raised?! Holy moly!
TIA,
Kavala[/quote]

Well, Donates and Oblates make promises, not vows, so that would make them more like externs. But not all "lay" sisters were externs (although I would hazard all externs were "lay" sisters).

And yes, they're true mendicants, they got the begging down :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1913797' date='Jul 7 2009, 07:28 PM']The nuns with the dark scapulars are the equivalent of the still-existing "cooperator brother". The nuns with the white scapulars (and, after profession, black veils) are "choir nuns". The black scapulars, while also vowed and contemplative, concentrated more on keeping the convent running so the choir nuns could spend more time in prayer. With the Dominicans, there's no difference anymore. I think only the Carthusians kept it.[/quote]

Random fact related to all of this:

It was beginning with the Cistercians that any sort of division occured between "choir monks" and what they called '[i]conversi[/i]'. [i]Conversi[/i] were "lay monks" who worked the land and took care of the day to day jobs of the house, giving "choir monks" more opportunity for prayer.

I was also reading about this sort of division in the beginnings of the Order of Preachers... St. Dominic wanted the "choir monks" to be able to focus on prayer and study and preaching... but he recognized that the necessities that life brings and that most likely his preachers would have to attend to them.

kavalamyself

Thanks for the clarification. I like the black scapulars.

As for their fundraising, what an accomplishment. I am sure St. Dominic would be thrilled with them. I know they have many devoted fans, so I would think their fans are rejoicing in knowing how well things are going!

Has anyone tried their soaps?

Edited by kavalamyself

VeniteAdoremus

I have! They are really, really good.

My favourite is Cloister Garden. I like soft flowery soap. But I've also tried honey, and Natale is very nice... they're excellent gifts.

Oh, and seriously, their hand creme is the best ever.

kavalamyself

Does anybody else here miss the old habits with the guimpe? Why did they change?

As for their soaps, I think I will try the grapefruit. I love the fresh, clean smell of grapefruit, especially Creed's!

Edited by kavalamyself

FiereMargriet

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1914375' date='Jul 8 2009, 02:26 PM']Does anybody else here miss the old habits with the guimpe? Why did they change?

As for their soaps, I think I will try the grapefruit. I love the fresh, clean smell of grapefruit, especially Creed's![/quote]

I believe that the upkeep of the guimpe became too much after they made a foundation and lost several sisters (it would get yellowed in summer and had to be properly taken care of which took a lot of time). There was actually a thread some ways back about this very subject. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

I love Summit. :love: Wonderful, wonderful place, with a gorgeous chapel. I'm fortunate enough to be able to take the train there (well, two trains) and it's pretty high on my lists for both discernment and general admiration.

FiereMargriet

Ah, found it. [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/lofiversion/index.php/t57433.html"]The thread[/url] is actually talking about the wimple/coif so I guess that's different from the guimpe (is it? pardon my ignorance--is it that the guimpe is the kind of collar around/below the neck and the wimple is around the head?) but it's very interesting, and well-reasoned.

I must say when I first started discerning an OP vocation I thought the white habits were not as aesthetically pleasing as the brown and white of the Carmelites or Franciscans, two orders whose habits looked very well "balanced." Now that I feel more Dominican, however, I appreciate the tradition and beauty of the white habit! Let's just hope I can keep it clean!

VeniteAdoremus

Yes, the clean part is also a thing I worried about :) But as you can see in the pictures, the sisters have all kinds of tricks to deal with it, with over-sleeves, aprons... :)

To be honest, I find the Dominican habit w/old fashioned guimpe to be a bit fussy and bundled looking; frumpy. I think all of the Dominican sisters look really fine in their "modern" veils.

The soaps and lotions are all great. I esp. love the oatmeal soap - great for my oily skin and it has a lovely scent - and the rosarium mariae, which smells like...roses!

Edited by DameAgnes

Thomist-in-Training

It's fun to tease Cistercians by telling them they look like Dominican lay-brothers! :D

Of course, only so many people have this wonderful opportunity...