An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dose Your Hair Have To Be Long To Be A Carmelite Nun?

carmelite15

InHisLove726

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1916013' date='Jul 9 2009, 04:22 PM']If I remember correctly, nunsense first entered at Wolverhampton, and also received her new name upon entrance there.

What about St. Theresa of the Andes? Of course the only things I know about her life was what I saw on the youtube videos, so I'm not going to claim real knowledge based on that :)[/quote]

I don't know about what happened at Wolverhampton, I'm afraid. :idontknow: But did St. Teresa of the Andes take her name right at entrance as a postulant? Her birthname is Juana Fernández Solar. Anyone know?? I'm searching for information.

Edited by InHisLove726

Lilllabettt

[b]This is what Annie said on March 16, 2009 in [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=91590&hl="]this thread[/url] "where are you in your religious discernment." As you can see, she is under the impression that Carmelites get their name when they enter[/b]:
[quote]In Carmel, one is given a name in religion upon entering. The only changes might be before Clothing or Profession - if one wants or needs to add or change something. St Therese scholars can correct me if I am wrong here, but I think she added "and the Holy Face" to her original title of Therese of the Child Jesus - either at her Clothing or her Profession - I am not sure which. The Prioress gives one their religious name, but they often ask for input such as favorite saints or affinities. I told Reverend Mother Sheffield that St Michael was a strong advocate for me and that Our Blessed Mother brought me to Jesus through the Rosary so would like both their names if possible. I did ask her if I could use "of the Cross" because St John is my mystical spiritual director, but she said that every sister who took this title had left! So she gave me "of God" instead. At Wolverhampton I was asked to take the name of Teresa of Jesus because they hadn't had a Teresa in awhile and Mother WV wanted me to have that name. I do love St Teresa, so I felt honored, but I always felt it was a bit too important a name for me.[/quote]

InHisLove726

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1916045' date='Jul 9 2009, 04:59 PM'][b]This is what Annie said on March 16, 2009 in [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=91590&hl="]this thread[/url] "where are you in your religious discernment." As you can see, she is under the impression that Carmelites get their name when they enter[/b]:[/quote]

It makes me wonder if it varies from country to country then? Here in America, the postulants keep their name until they become novices. I've only ever discerned with the Carmelites in the U.S. I thought it was the same in every Carmel. :idontknow: Hmmmm... I wish Margaret Clare was here to set us straight! :bigthink:

Edited by InHisLove726

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1915945' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:17 PM']It depends on the order, but it's about 6 months to a year of postulancy.

Their religious name is always received when they receive the habit and become a novice. :)[/quote]

I don't think this is always the case. At least in the past I know they usually recieved their name at entrance. Like Elizabeth of the Trinity actually knew what her name was going to be before she even entered. Of course, she just was given a title, they kept her name.

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1916017' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:28 PM']I don't believe I've seen a Carmelite order that gives out religious names except in special cases. I know some of them might call the new postulant "Sister" but they usually attach it to her birth name. This is usually only amongst the cloistered orders.[/quote]

do you mean at entrance or in general? Because I've always been under the impression that Carmelites almost always recieve religious names. Like they say, even God doesn't know how many Carmelites are named Teresa!

[quote]The Carmelite orders are very close knit by what I've witnessed. Any time a Sister has to leave because of illness or discernment, it creates disappointment amongst the community. They pray for each other and become family to one another, so I am sure that's why the Sister you are speaking of included everyone in her count--postulants, novices, and professed.[/quote]

I think that's probably true for most contemplative orders.

InHisLove726

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1916056' date='Jul 9 2009, 05:12 PM']I don't think this is always the case. At least in the past I know they usually recieved their name at entrance. Like Elizabeth of the Trinity actually knew what her name was going to be before she even entered. Of course, she just was given a title, they kept her name.

do you mean at entrance or in general? Because I've always been under the impression that Carmelites almost always recieve religious names. Like they say, even God doesn't know how many Carmelites are named Teresa!

I think that's probably true for most contemplative orders.[/quote]

I'll look into it a bit later. I'm getting ready for my first Latin Mass ever with my Young Adult group! Peace and all good! :)

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1915744' date='Jul 9 2009, 08:36 PM']One thing that surprised me was how long it took me to get ready in the morning as a postulant, just because I had to figure out how to put my hair up. (How the sister who had hair down to her knees did it I can't even fathom.) Then when I got the habit, I was thinking with so many more pieces of clothes it would take me forever to get ready, but it actually only took about 7 minutes to get ready because I had very little hair to worry about! Who would have thought it would make such a difference!

Now I have to think about my hair again. Don't like that.

I :love: the PCPA habit, by the way.

How long of a postulancy do Carmelites have these days? And do they recieve their name at entrance or investiture now?[/quote]
There are easy and fast ways to put up long hair.:) My hair is below my waist and it doesn't take long in the morning.

I get how knowing what you're going to wear every day is great. I stand in front of the closet in the morning with a dumb look on my face for a while.:P

mariaassunta

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1916047' date='Jul 9 2009, 04:03 PM']It makes me wonder if it varies from country to country then? Here in America, the postulants keep their name until they become novices. I've only ever discerned with the Carmelites in the U.S. I thought it was the same in every Carmel. :idontknow: Hmmmm... I wish Margaret Clare was here to set us straight! :bigthink:[/quote]

In reply to the names in Carmel, as all Carmelite Monasteries for the most part are autonomous. It is upon the decision of the community if a postulate will attach Sister to her name. But the rule is waived sometimes in special cases e.g. like Annie's where in her case they could know there name already. But in my experience and having accessed the Carmelite Rule It is usually upon investiture as a novice of the Carmelite order that you receive your new name with Sister and are then beginning religious life for real. therefore you are now considered an official member of the order and community. Hope this helps if any more questions arise i will try my best answer them. :rolleyes: :saint: :saint:

The maximum number of nuns is 21 not 13. St Teresa of Avila orginially had planned to have only 13 (see her Vida) but after the nuns lived the discalced reform for awhile, she increased the number to 21. Sometimes that does not include the extern sisters, and exceptions to the number limit are made when a new foundation is planned- as happened recently when the Carmel of Jesus, Mary and Joseph in Nebraska had 28 or 29 in the community and they now have sent 10 of them to re-inhabit the Carmelite monastery at Elysburg PA.

The thing about names must vary by monastery- many customs do vary by monastery, although the Carmels out of the Mexican line share some, those of the French line share others. The traditional discalced carmelite monastery where I did a live-in did not give the religious name and title until the beginning of the novitiate when you received the habit.

The postulancy can be 6 months to 1 year, with a possibility of up to 18 months, I think. Most Carmels in the US have a 1 year postulancy.

kavalamyself

The first monastery I entered (not Carmelite), I was asked to let my hair grow so it could be "shorn for my Beloved." It was a beautiful ceremony.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1916056' date='Jul 9 2009, 06:12 PM']I don't think this is always the case. At least in the past I know they usually recieved their name at entrance. Like Elizabeth of the Trinity actually knew what her name was going to be before she even entered. Of course, she just was given a title, they kept her name.[/quote]

So did St. Teresa de los Andes.

It just depends on the traditions of the particular Carmel. The Carmel in Dallas gives you your religious name upon entrance. It just depends on the Carmel.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1915744' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:36 PM']One thing that surprised me was how long it took me to get ready in the morning as a postulant, just because I had to figure out how to put my hair up. (How the sister who had hair down to her knees did it I can't even fathom.) Then when I got the habit, I was thinking with so many more pieces of clothes it would take me forever to get ready, but it actually only took about 7 minutes to get ready because I had very little hair to worry about! Who would have thought it would make such a difference!

Now I have to think about my hair again. Don't like that.[/quote]

I remember thinking the same thing after receiving my habit, "If putting on a mere blouse and skirt took this long as a postulant, how much longer with the habit take??" :lol: The lack of hair TOTALLY makes the difference! :twothumbsup:

I agree with you about having to think about your hair again... let's just say pomade became my new friend... :shock: really short hair needed it in my case. :blush: Oy vey! Praise God it's grown out!!!

Picking out clothes again was also rather frustrating. Le sigh. Oh well, God's will! I live in hope of having one outfit again and no hair!! :sign: