An Old School Catholic Message Board

Natural Vs. Supernatural Vocations

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

I had a great idea for a topic--

[b]What would you want to do or be doing if you weren't called to a religious or priestly vocation?[/b]

I often envisioned myself having a husband and 6 children, living in the country somewhere, with a big house and a wrap around porch. Lots of animals, of course, because I am an animal-lover (especially dogs!).

If I could have any job in the world, though, I'd love to be an animal researcher/veterinarian working with mammals at a zoological garden and/or Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, FL. I have been watching Big Cat Diary obsessively lately and my love for big cats has resurfaced. I especially adore lions. :D

[img]http://students.ou.edu/W/Wesley.R.Wolverton-1/african-lion-closeup.jpg[/img]

So, how 'bout you?? ;)

Edited by InHisLove726

VeniteAdoremus

Oh, I like this!

Well, I promised a priestly friend that I'd be his housekeeper :) Really, he's so thin, I wonder how his chasuble keeps on!

And otherwise... If I leave the convent, I'd probably teach physics for a while, study theology part-time, find out which guy is so incredibly lucky as to be called to marriage with me, and probably not have a gaggle of children, although I'd like to (girls with my height history usually need IVF), and do parish work. I'd love to marry a future permanent deacon!

My dream job? I'd need a personality transplant for it, but I'd love to earn enough money singing to be able to do nothing else. Join a professional opera choir somewhere.

Maria Faustina

Well..... I would want to go to a major college, play volleyball and basketball for four years there, then either play professional beach volleyball or women's professional basketball. After, if I felt called, I would probably become a lay Dominican. Then, I would probably go to graduate school and pursue a theology masters degree. As far as a job, I would like to work for my Diocese, teach religion at a Catholic school, or work for a parish. I want to have A TON of kids and I wouldn't mind marrying a permanent deacon ;) haha!

My kids' first and middle names would be: John Thomas Armour, Ave Maria Regina, Seraphina Caeli, Benedict Ambrose, Anna Grace Cecilia, Lucette Marie, Faustina Zita, Thomas Aquinas, Dominic Augustine, Michaela Shekinah, and Bonaventure Xavier.

Of course, I will have a ton of money from my professional sports career left over to send them all to Catholic schools and college ;)

Thomist-in-Training

You're not naming no kid Ave Maria Regina! She'll get beat up! :)

Wait, where did 'Shekinah' come from?

Anyhow I would have studied Latin harder and then I would be a badly paid linguist of some sort, probably involving the Middle Ages. And I would look just like one of my college professors whom I already look like on rushed days.

My "plan B" is medical school. I was all set to continue ignoring my vocation and apply for medical school this fall-- until I mustered enough nerve to actually visit a convent!
But, seriously, I was all set to start medical school and had planned to then move to Mexico (after paying off my loans of course) and provide free/ really cheap medical care with a nurse friend of mine.

Edited by Agnes

InHisLove726

I'm lovin' the responses! :D I did have several names picked out for my children as well:

Henry Michael
Agatha Christie (yes, I love the author)
Agnes Clare
Andrew Charles
Matthew John
Mary Elizabeth
Samantha Therese

Looking back, I guess I was prepared for if I had twins (my mom is a fraternal twin, and it skips a generation). A.C. for three of the initials. :rolleyes:

I probably would have gone to a local university to get my pre-med degree in biology or zoology, and then Athens University in Georgia to get my doctorate in Veterinary Medicine. I debated for years to get my veterinary technician diploma, but no one in my area offers the program. :(

Edited by InHisLove726

johnnydigit

if i couldn't become a saint in religious life, i'd have to figure out how to become a saint in the secular world. if i were to marry, i'd have to figure out how to get us both and our kids there as well!

whether i'd move to a quieter countryside or stay in the suburbs, i'd want to live as close to Jesus in the tabernacle as possible, in a Church, monastery or convent. :) i'd want to work there, or maybe teach at a Catholic school. it doesn't matter what the job is.. janitorial, handy-man, whatever, as long as i can serve our Church and be around people who share the faith and journey, and support my family reasonably. if not, maybe teaching at a secular school or some kind of city job, so that i can have regular hours to spend with my family and do some kind of ministry, maybe with young adults.

who knows what God has in store for us, as long as we stick by Him and follow with all our heart, soul, and mind :)

Maria Faustina

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1917075' date='Jul 10 2009, 11:50 PM']You're not naming no kid Ave Maria Regina! She'll get beat up! :)

Wait, where did 'Shekinah' come from?[/quote]

Hahaha!!!! Well, I would name my kid Ave Maria, but just call her Maria for short.

Haha Shekinah probably sounds sooo ghetto! This is from a webite I found, not my own writing,

"Shekinah (alternative transliterations Shechinah, Shekhina, Shechina) is the English spelling of the Hebrew language word that means the glory or radiance of God, or God resting in his house or Tabernacle amongst his people.

It is derived from the Hebrew verb 'sakan' - 'to dwell'.

The Greek word 'skene' - dwelling - is thought to be derived from 'shekinah' and 'sakan'.

The term is not used in either the Old or New Testaments, but both are full of references to God coming in glory."

I would actually choose Sister Shekinah or Sister Maria Shekinah as a religious name :)

TeresaBenedicta

I basically have a life-crush on two of my professors (who are married), so I think I would probably try and mimick their life, lol.

Both have doctrates in Philosophy (I'd probably go for Theology, though) and they live about five minute's walking distance from my university. Dr. Mr. is now the Dean of our liberal arts college, and Dr. Mrs. teaches about two courses each semester, both in the seminary and at the college. They make sure to have different class times so they can pass off the children between each other. They bring the entire family to daily Mass on campus...

It's perfect. That's what I would do. I'd want to teach at the university/seminary, live near by, and raise my children!!!

As for children's names... I have a thing for J's, for guys at least...

James
Jonathan
Jeremiah
Joseph
and William (not J, I know...)

I never thought too much about girls names. Elizabeth, Mary, etc.

the lords sheep

I would continue my studies at the Angelicum (or another pontifical university) and get my Doctorate of Sacred Theology, and then hopefully work for a seminary/Catholic University and write and research for the rest of my life.
If God called me to it, I would love to get married, and I would take as many children as God blessed me with, although I've never been drawn to having a big family.
Who knows, maybe this will still end up being my path...