An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hermits

HisChild

sistersintigo

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' date='13 July 2009 - 03:37 AM' timestamp='1247467027' post='1918574']
I have thought about this as a vocation. I think I have mostly looked into the Carthusians as a life of hermit-spirituality. However, there are not any American nun Carthusians. I have written to one of the houses in Europe and while I did get a great answer back, one has to speak the language (of the country) fluently.

I have also looked into the Bethlehem Sisters, too as well as the Carmelites in Port Tobacco because they have individual hermitages.
[/quote]

I learned second- or third-hand of a recent thing. It seems that Ireland has had numerous women go to continental Europe to try the charterhouses for Carthusian women, and I did hear of one who entered, and stayed, in Italy. What I didn't know was that there were so many Irish women who tried the Carthusian life, then when the culture clash and so on was more than they could tolerate, turned around and left the Carthusian monasteries. So much so, that there is at least one prominent Carthusian monk at Parkminster who wants to have a community of Carthusian women in Ireland. That perked up my ears!

[quote name='sistersintigo' date='05 June 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1275792766' post='2124419']
I learned second- or third-hand of a recent thing. It seems that Ireland has had numerous women go to continental Europe to try the charterhouses for Carthusian women, and I did hear of one who entered, and stayed, in Italy. What I didn't know was that there were so many Irish women who tried the Carthusian life, then when the culture clash and so on was more than they could tolerate, turned around and left the Carthusian monasteries. So much so, that there is at least one prominent Carthusian monk at Parkminster who wants to have a community of Carthusian women in Ireland. That perked up my ears!
[/quote]

That is very interesting. Please do keep us informed on this!

It is very interesting reading through this thread.

I noticed that the most obvious omission from the discussion are the Camaldolese Benedictines who are the most ancient eremitical Order of the Church. The monks are divided into two congregations - the Camaldolese Benedictines and the Camaldolese Hermits of Monte Corona - and both of them have houses in the US. The Camaldolese nuns also have a US house in Windsor, New York.

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to spend a week staying within the cloister in the monastery at Camaldoli. The monastery has been there for almost a thousand years and has a stunning setting in the forests of the Appenine mountains. It was an absolutely incredible experience and I had a real sense of the timeless and seamless life of prayer of the Church.

I am not sure if anyone has read the book 'Nazarena: An American Anchoress'. It tells the story of an american woman who spent many years living as a recluse in the Camaldolese nuns monastery in Rome. She lived in one room within the monastery for many years with just a small window that allowed her to see the altar in the Church below the room. If you do get a chance to read it, I would certainly recommend it as it is an amazing and inspiring story.

Mary Veronica

[quote name='ortus' date='08 June 2010 - 04:12 AM' timestamp='1275984757' post='2125579']
It is very interesting reading through this thread.

I noticed that the most obvious omission from the discussion are the Camaldolese Benedictines who are the most ancient eremitical Order of the Church. The monks are divided into two congregations - the Camaldolese Benedictines and the Camaldolese Hermits of Monte Corona - and both of them have houses in the US. The Camaldolese nuns also have a US house in Windsor, New York.

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to spend a week staying within the cloister in the monastery at Camaldoli. The monastery has been there for almost a thousand years and has a stunning setting in the forests of the Appenine mountains. It was an absolutely incredible experience and I had a real sense of the timeless and seamless life of prayer of the Church.

I am not sure if anyone has read the book 'Nazarena: An American Anchoress'. It tells the story of an american woman who spent many years living as a recluse in the Camaldolese nuns monastery in Rome. She lived in one room within the monastery for many years with just a small window that allowed her to see the altar in the Church below the room. If you do get a chance to read it, I would certainly recommend it as it is an amazing and inspiring story.
[/quote]

And people question why few are drawn to priestly/religious life? It seems that it takes a lot of heart to live in a room with a small window and ever-gazing at Our Lord. only by God' grace, sigh....well, God Bless our future saints and those who love them <3

• 5 months later...
sistersintigo

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1256590815' post='1991691']
Regarding Sr. Irene Gibson:
get a look at this!
http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/4933#
[/quote]

The former County Mayo hermit now sells her icons from Dublin on EBay.

[url="http://myworld.ebay.ie/srirene2010/"]Icons written by Sr. Irene[/url]