An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priesthood?

relientfoot08

relientfoot08

Ok, so I went to DCYC this past weekend and had a ton of people say to me that I would make a great priest. Now I have also been told this in the past as well. And you know I have been doing some thinking and praying about it and I might just do it. :)

I don't have any problems with becoming a priest except one......girls. lol. I like them. And I have many thoughts about marriage and how happy I will be. But maybe I am to marry the Church. Can anyone help me with my discernment?

I have 2 siblings that can carry on the family name. lol. So I have thought about that. Does anyone have any other questions I can ask myself? Trust me I have asked myself many questions. And nearly all point toward priesthood.

God is Love,
RB

Call the Vocations Director of your diocese. They know all the questions, and the answers as well. That's the best place to start.

Sister Rose Therese

Well, I'll tell you what most people here will tell you.
If you don't already have a spiritual director, look into getting one.
Look into the different options, your local diocese, other dioceses, religious life...
Then speak with some vocation directors.
Then pick some to visit.
And always, pray, pray, pray!
There are probably some here who will be able to give you suggestions about dioceses, orders and what not once you have a bit more of an idea what you are called to.
God bless you on your journey.

loveletslive

[quote name='relientfoot08' post='1919778' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:05 PM']I don't have any problems with becoming a priest except one......girls. lol. I like them. And I have many thoughts about marriage and how happy I will be.[/quote]

i know many priests/seminarians that were in serious relationships or engaged before entering seminary. liking girls and wanting to get married and have kids is perfectly normal. as for girls, liking boys and wanting to get married while considering the convent is normal :)

InHisLove726

I second CatherineM's advice. ;) It's wonderful that you are considering the priesthood, but don't think for one moment that your attraction to women is in any way a deterrent from you entering the seminary. :) You are a human man who has natural desires and attractions. God created men and women. The natural desire is to want to be married and have children. But God gives the selected few a chance to rise above the natural and shoot for the supernatural. It's a gift, not a right. But it's a great way to attain sainthood. :saint:

Those of us that are discerning are called to follow God closer than the average person. It's difficult to do it alone because of the temptations that come along with the call. Get yourself a spiritual director--someone you trust with the intimate details of your discernment--and start taking baby steps toward priesthood. The best way to discern if you have a genuine calling is by getting your hands dirty. Maybe start volunteering with the Church more often, or at charity events.

Something that I've found that helps me is spiritual reading and going on retreats. I've been on 2 discernment retreats. Your diocese should have a website which you can Google, and they should have a list of friary houses, monasteries, and convents in your area.

Do you think you have a calling to be a diocesan priest or a religious order priest? To understand the difference, here is something you might find helpful:

[url="http://www.the-journals.org/dah/difference.htm"]http://www.the-journals.org/dah/difference.htm[/url]

If you feel you are called to be a religious priest, then you would have to figure out which order attracts you the most (Carmelite, Dominican, Franciscan, Benedictine, etc).

It's good that you came here because those who are discerning (and those who are not) can help you find the information that you seek, especially for religious orders that you might be interested in. Get yourself a spiritual director and take it from there. God be with you!

relientfoot08

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have been talking to my Vocations Director but I have. lol.

Anywho, I think I would want to be a diocesan priest.

I am very active in the Church. I am the unofficial youth minister (post confirmation) for my parish. I have recieved the St. Timothy award from the diocese in 2007, which is the highest award that can be given to youth in our diocese. :) Don't mean to brag. lol. Just giving you an idea about how active I am.

I am wanting to transfer to a Catholic univeristy and study theology real bad. If anything I would like to be a youth minister. But I also think God may be calling me to a higher calling. You know looking back at my life. I never would have thought that I would even consider being a priest. lol. God truly works in mysterious ways, yes? lol. Love it.

God is Love,
RB

InHisLove726

[quote name='relientfoot08' post='1919872' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:43 PM']Sorry I forgot to mention that I have been talking to my Vocations Director but I have. lol.

Anywho, I think I would want to be a diocesan priest.

I am very active in the Church. I am the unofficial youth minister (post confirmation) for my parish. I have recieved the St. Timothy award from the diocese in 2007, which is the highest award that can be given to youth in our diocese. :) Don't mean to brag. lol. Just giving you an idea about how active I am.

I am wanting to transfer to a Catholic univeristy and study theology real bad. If anything I would like to be a youth minister. But I also think God may be calling me to a higher calling. You know looking back at my life. I never would have thought that I would even consider being a priest. lol. God truly works in mysterious ways, yes? lol. Love it.

God is Love,
RB[/quote]

It seems you have a very solid foundation of ministry, and that is always in your favor if you apply for the priesthood. It shows initiative and potential, especially with award. Keep talking to your VD and if he gives you the go-ahead, and lights are all green (no debts, no canonical impediments, etc), then I would say you have a calling. The greatest mistake one can make is to walk away from the calling. You'll always be wondering "What if?" if you don't at least check it out. You can always leave the seminary if you find out that it is not right for you. But if you get married, and find you still have the call, you can't do anything. Best to be safe rather than sorry, IMHO! ;)

If you signed up now, the diocese would pay for your theology degree. I realize that is a really bad reason to commit, but I go to school with a bunch of seminarians that get their whole way paid for, and they aren't sweating things like student loans.

relientfoot08

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1919885' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:50 PM']If you signed up now, the diocese would pay for your theology degree. I realize that is a really bad reason to commit, but I go to school with a bunch of seminarians that get their whole way paid for, and they aren't sweating things like student loans.[/quote]

See that is also some stuff that I would like to know. I mean I know the true reason I want to do it but I can't do it if I cannot afford it. lol. My VD has not emailed me back on some stuff. But then again I emailed him yesterday. lol.

InHisLove726

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1919885' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:50 PM']If you signed up now, the diocese would pay for your theology degree. I realize that is a really bad reason to commit, but I go to school with a bunch of seminarians that get their whole way paid for, and they aren't sweating things like student loans.[/quote]

Dang! I wish I could get a degree in Theology with it all taken care of! :P

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1919911' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:12 PM']Dang! I wish I could get a degree in Theology with it all taken care of! :P[/quote]

The seminarians from BC and from Manitoba also came with vans for them to use to drive back and forth. I have to take the bus. They get to run down to the cafeteria for cookies in the afternoon during breaks from class. At least they did in the old facility. We are in temporary digs while the new College and Seminary are being finished. The province decided to put a highway right through the chapel at the old facility.

relientfoot08

Ok sooooo, I mentioned I like girls. ha. anywho, There is this one girl that I really really like. People have told us that we would be amazing together. heres the catch....She moved away to another school to study there. We would probably have ended up in a relationship if she had not. When she moved away, I thought to myself maybe God has something else planned. I'll wait and pray and see what God does next. And then priesthood floods my mind a couple of months later (now).

To get to the point....I just texted her telling her that I was thinking about priesthood. And I realize now why i told her. I want her to tell me 'no don't do it, I want to be with you.' I am not real sure what to make of my thoughts. Trust me I am still praying. And I ma not real sure what I am looking for out of ya'll. I think I want to here that I am being called to priesthood. I guess I am getting impatient with God.

Forgive me Lord. Let it be done to me, according to Your will.

I've been told that the best Catholic spouses are those that have considered a religious vocation. The thinking being that they didn't just get married, but rather really discerned their vocation. I think that works the other way too.

FiereMargriet

[quote name='relientfoot08' post='1920015' date='Jul 14 2009, 07:27 PM']Ok sooooo, I mentioned I like girls. ha. anywho, There is this one girl that I really really like. People have told us that we would be amazing together. heres the catch....She moved away to another school to study there. We would probably have ended up in a relationship if she had not. When she moved away, I thought to myself maybe God has something else planned. I'll wait and pray and see what God does next. And then priesthood floods my mind a couple of months later (now).

To get to the point....I just texted her telling her that I was thinking about priesthood. And I realize now why i told her. I want her to tell me 'no don't do it, I want to be with you.' I am not real sure what to make of my thoughts. Trust me I am still praying. And I ma not real sure what I am looking for out of ya'll. I think I want to here that I am being called to priesthood. I guess I am getting impatient with God.

Forgive me Lord. Let it be done to me, according to Your will.[/quote]

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm discerning the contemplative religious life, God-willing, and I'm at the point where I want to tell more people. Especially this guy I used to be in love with, or thought I was in love with. I HOPE I'm not telling him with subconcious ulterior motives, but I want to be sure.

I have such a great desire for married life and children, and you do have to acknowledge those feelings, but a wise nun also told me that it's so natural to want such a relationship that in and of itself doesn't mean anything. I used to think it was scarce comfort when people would say, "But you'll be married to Jesus and you'll have spiritual children," but now I think I know what they mean. And it is comforting. And I think that if you get to a point where you embrace and welcome being married to the Church, then that's a good indication it might be your vocation. You sound very open and levelheaded--good for you! I wasn't at first. I'm still much more stubborn than I should be.

Whatever you do, don't bottle up your feelings. See if your diocese has a vocations retreat--I just went on one, and it helps so much. Write in a journal or talk to a trusted friend. See if you can visit seminaries or even monasteries just for a few hours of prayer. And I'll pray for you! Like I said, you sound like you're thinking about this really well!

How wonderful that in this Year of the Priest you are considering this great call. I believe if you ask God to TELL you what he wants you to do, he will do that. Your idea of going to a Catholic University is a good one - you'll meet plenty of nice Catholic girls and plenty of guys thinking about the priesthood, so you'll really in "in the soup" and ready to listen. I will pray for your intention!