An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priesthood?

relientfoot08

relientfoot08

Just to be clear. I should continue to discern my vocation as a priest. Right? I should not rule it out just yet. Correct?

Quote: "And I realize now why i told her. I want her to tell me 'no don't do it, I want to be with you.' "

You'd be better off to make the decision yourself rather than have her make it for you. I realize that, at this point, you're not actually making a decision - you're just putting your thoughts out there to her. And that's a very natural - even thoughtful - thing to do. But in the long run, you can't let anyone else make the decision for you - not the people who are telling you "You'd make a great priest" (even if it's true), not a person of the opposite gender, not your parents (you haven't mentioned them, but some parents do lean on their children and some children comply), not even your spiritual director, and perhaps surprisingly, not even God. Even if God is calling you, you're the one who has to make the decision to respond. You might be unhappy if you don't respond, but God does leave the response up to us.

relientfoot08

[quote name='Luigi' post='1920048' date='Jul 14 2009, 07:03 PM']Quote: "And I realize now why i told her. I want her to tell me 'no don't do it, I want to be with you.' "

You'd be better off to make the decision yourself rather than have her make it for you. I realize that, at this point, you're not actually making a decision - you're just putting your thoughts out there to her. And that's a very natural - even thoughtful - thing to do. But in the long run, you can't let anyone else make the decision for you - not the people who are telling you "You'd make a great priest" (even if it's true), not a person of the opposite gender, not your parents (you haven't mentioned them, but some parents do lean on their children and some children comply), not even your spiritual director, and perhaps surprisingly, not even God. Even if God is calling you, you're the one who has to make the decision to respond. You might be unhappy if you don't respond, but God does leave the response up to us.[/quote]

You know...you are right. (I know...DUH of course you are right!!! :topsy: lol.) I have to make this decision myself. I guess I am afraid of the unknown. But who isn't?...

For some reason I don't really talk about my parents. Don't know why. They are not bad parents. They are great as a matter of fact. Hmmm...Not sure.

They are behind me 110%. Ha. I joined the US Army before I went to college. They helped me out and now I am thinking about becoming a priest. They were behind me when I committed to the Army and are now that I chose not to join. You know what?...That is all my mom said to me when I told her about my discernment. "It is a big committment son, I'm behind you 100%. That is something that you have to work out with God. Pray about it." Ha, maybe I should listen to my mom huh?...

[quote name='relientfoot08' post='1920015' date='Jul 14 2009, 04:27 PM']Ok sooooo, I mentioned I like girls. ha. anywho, There is this one girl that I really really like. People have told us that we would be amazing together. heres the catch....She moved away to another school to study there. We would probably have ended up in a relationship if she had not. When she moved away, I thought to myself maybe God has something else planned. I'll wait and pray and see what God does next. And then priesthood floods my mind a couple of months later (now).

To get to the point....I just texted her telling her that I was thinking about priesthood. And I realize now why i told her. I want her to tell me 'no don't do it, I want to be with you.' I am not real sure what to make of my thoughts. Trust me I am still praying. And I ma not real sure what I am looking for out of ya'll. I think I want to here that I am being called to priesthood. I guess I am getting impatient with God.

Forgive me Lord. Let it be done to me, according to Your will.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
there's a book i'm reading, called "The New Men" by Brian Murphy. it chronicles 6 first-year seminarians at the NAC (they're called new men) and their ongoing discernment process. I think it would be helpful for you. i got mine cheap (4.95)

Hey, I am in my fourth year of the College Seminary at a Catholic University studying theology.

I'll tell you now, when I talk to my SD about girls and how I wish sometimes I really want a girlfriend since I did a lot of dating before I entered three years ago, he said he would be worried if I didn't. That is very normal and is NOT a sign that you are not called to be a priest. I will quote from the Bishop when I had dinner with him, he told me first my problem will be the girls and to stay a little back from them. And second he said his best priests, were the ones that would make the best husbands and fathers to their children. So don't fret over that. If you'd make a great priest, you'd make a great husband. The qualities are almost the same!

If you want to message me or something we can chat, I'd be more then willing. A lot people don't know what to expect especially in that unknown discerning part.