An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Need Your Thoughts On Idea I Had

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

Hello all. :) I had an idea tonight, and I wanted to get your opinion and thoughts on it. I thought it might be helpful to start a personal vocation fund through Blogspot where I could set up a link for those to help me pay off my debts and in return, I would give them the opportunity to let them enroll in my prayer intentions, kind of like what religious orders do. I have thought up what I might write, but it's still rough. I'm intending to explain my personal vocation story. If people do not desire to just give money without anything in return, I plan to link my eBay listings to the same site for the same purpose.

I'm still looking into possibly applying for help through the Laboure Foundation, but I was thinking that this other way might be better. I eventually want to ask the diocese to set up a vocation fund, and I hope to be involved in it's process. They really need to promote more vocations and a way to pay off any debts that are hindering their entrance to an order or seminary.

So, what do you all think? Should I do it? :cool:

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1923156' date='Jul 17 2009, 11:11 PM']Hello all. :) I had an idea tonight, and I wanted to get your opinion and thoughts on it. I thought it might be helpful to start a personal vocation fund through Blogspot where I could set up a link for those to help me pay off my debts and in return, I would give them the opportunity to let them enroll in my prayer intentions, kind of like what religious orders do. I have thought up what I might write, but it's still rough. I'm intending to explain my personal vocation story. If people do not desire to just give money without anything in return, I plan to link my eBay listings to the same site for the same purpose.

I'm still looking into possibly applying for help through the Laboure Foundation, but I was thinking that this other way might be better. I eventually want to ask the diocese to set up a vocation fund, and I hope to be involved in it's process. They really need to promote more vocations and a way to pay off any debts that are hindering their entrance to an order or seminary.

So, what do you all think? Should I do it? :cool:[/quote]

Well, have you been accepted to a community?

InHisLove726

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1923162' date='Jul 17 2009, 11:19 PM']Well, have you been accepted to a community?[/quote]

No, I still need to visit communities and that's one of the things I intend to list (that the money will also help me pay for visits). :)

loveletslive

i've been to a site before that was for a seminarian trying to pay off his debts.

the only kinda shady thing is people might be weary of giving you money if you haven't been accepted into an order. i know some religious communities do have benefactors that pay off small debts of incoming sisters. one of my friends would join the nashville dominicans right now if she could but she has $68k in college debt to pay off :(

InHisLove726

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1923251' date='Jul 18 2009, 12:19 AM']i've been to a site before that was for a seminarian trying to pay off his debts.

the only kinda shady thing is people might be weary of giving you money if you haven't been accepted into an order. i know some religious communities do have benefactors that pay off small debts of incoming sisters. one of my friends would join the nashville dominicans right now if she could but she has $68k in college debt to pay off :([/quote]

Hmmm, that's what I would worry about. I haven't even started making the page because I was worried that people might get the wrong impression. My debt is about $1,150. I have been unemployed since March 2007, and I've been looking actively for a job since November 2007. I am doing everything in my power to find a position, but nothing has come through yet. I've been on one interview last month, and that's the only good lead I've had so far, but I did not receive the job. I just signed up for a service I found out about through my former ARNP, and I meet for orientation on August 13, 2009. I do want to earn the money myself, but perhaps I'll go through Laboure Society to see if they can help.

Thanks for your help. I would still like to know what other people think about my idea. :)

Edited by InHisLove726

the lords sheep

I agree with Thomist-in-Training. Until you have been accepted into a community, you should not begin asking for people's financial assistance to pursue your vocation. It's much too premature at this point. If I am correct, you also cannot apply to the Laboure fund until you have been accepted into a community.

I am also uneasy with the idea of asking people to help you pay to go visit religious orders, especially because you have not yet discerned with any one group long enough to warrant a visit which requires cross-country travel, and more especially because you don't have the funds to embark on such a journey. Most people write with and speak with a community [b]over the course of a few months[/b] before making such a trip; some even have this communication for one year or more. To ask others for money (which they may give willingly, often without having sufficient funds to do so) before you have established such communication and have a direct invitation from the Sisters (which would hopefully be offered because they feel that you have a vocation to their community) is both premature and immature. It could appear as if you are just looking for a free trip out of this.

Another thing you must consider before asking people to assume your debt: if you do not enter (for whatever reason) or you leave at some point, how will you pay them back? Many people are willing to sacrifice some money to go to a good cause, but if you do not pursue your vocation, it would be a travesty to not repay that money, or at least not to be able to legitimately offer that money back.

I am not trying to be uncharitable, but I do want to be honest with you. The truth is, I've seen so many people who worked very hard to pay off substantial debt. One friend worked 3 jobs in order to be able to enter her community. If, by God's grace, He reveals to you that you have a religious vocation to a particular order, He will find a way to get your debt paid off so that you can enter.

Edited by the lords sheep

InHisLove726

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1923663' date='Jul 18 2009, 05:46 AM']I agree with Thomist-in-Training. Until you have been accepted into a community, you should not begin asking for people's financial assistance to pursue your vocation. It's much too premature at this point. If I am correct, you also cannot apply to the Laboure fund until you have been accepted into a community.

I am also uneasy with the idea of asking people to help you pay to go visit religious orders, especially because you have not yet discerned with any one group long enough to warrant a visit which requires cross-country travel, and more especially because you don't have the funds to embark on such a journey. Most people write with and speak with a community [b]over the course of a few months[/b] before making such a trip; some even have this communication for one year or more. To ask others for money (which they may give willingly, often without having sufficient funds to do so) before you have established such communication and have a direct invitation from the Sisters (which would hopefully be offered because they feel that you have a vocation to their community) is both premature and immature. It could appear as if you are just looking for a free trip out of this.

Another thing you must consider before asking people to assume your debt: if you do not enter (for whatever reason) or you leave at some point, how will you pay them back? Many people are willing to sacrifice some money to go to a good cause, but if you do not pursue your vocation, it would be a travesty to not repay that money, or at least not to be able to legitimately offer that money back.

I am not trying to be uncharitable, but I do want to be honest with you. The truth is, I've seen so many people who worked very hard to pay off substantial debt. One friend worked 3 jobs in order to be able to enter her community. If, by God's grace, He reveals to you that you have a religious vocation to a particular order, He will find a way to get your debt paid off so that you can enter.[/quote]

You offered several points that I had not thought of before, so I thank you. This was just an idea I had, and it seems it was a bad one. I think it just came from impatience in waiting for this poor economy to get better. There are some days where I am at my wit's end waiting for a door to open so I can get a job. Yesterday was one of them. I will [b]NOT [/b]post this page. You all have been most insightful.

I'm sorry if I appeared immature. That's something that I know I have to work on and I am everyday.

God bless you all. :)

It's OK InHisLove, you're just anxious to find out the Lord's will and that's understandable, just try to relax and let Him do His work! :) If He wants you in religious life nothing will get in His way to make it happen!! I'm so sorry about the economy right now, it really does stink, here in OH the unemployment rate is above 11%. One part of the market that tends to do OK even in down turns is food service. It is not ideal, especially since you are trained for something else, but if money really is tight it is a good option. Up here we have some places like Panera that are always hiring but are a little less greasy than say McDonalds or Burger King. You won't make much but the key is to build experience for your resume so then you can move on to something else later...

the lords sheep

I know the economy is rough: I see a lot of my friends suffering because of it too. Check any and all retail positions, especially now: as people go back to school in the fall (starting mid-august, really) a lot of positions tend to open up: retail, food service, cleaning work, libraries, bookstores, coffee shops, you name it.

You can even check your local hospital: if they don't have anything open in nursing, see if they do in food service there. Same with local nursing homes. If you build a good relationship there with the staff, when a nursing position opens up, you would more likely considered for the position.

Also check your newspaper ads, especially in the Catholic newspaper. Often there are families looking for someone to stay with/cook for/clean for/ assist their ailing family members. I know we hired someone to be with my grandmother for a year or two so that we didn't have to put her in a nursing home. Especially with your nursing degree, you would be desirable for this.

In the meantime, find somewhere to volunteer, even if it is only slightly related to your line of work (for example, volunteer in the activities department at your local nursing home). Even if this doesn't lead to a job (and it could), it will give you somewhere respectable to serve as a reference for you when you do start looking for jobs.

Hang in there, and continue being proactive, even if it seems like you're filling out an application for every single store/restaurant/office building/nursing home in your area. If you're flexible and willing to work hard, I am confident that something will come up eventually.

God bless you!

InHisLove726,

On these boards, you have dealt with constructive criticism with grace and humility. This is a rare trait and one much needed in religious life! Good on you!

[quote name='deusluxmea' post='1923791' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:17 PM']InHisLove726,

On these boards, you have dealt with constructive criticism with grace and humility. This is a rare trait and one much needed in religious life! Good on you![/quote]
I couldn't agree more!

Edited by Kathgirl

InHisLove726

[quote name='Maggie' post='1923745' date='Jul 18 2009, 12:36 PM']It's OK InHisLove, you're just anxious to find out the Lord's will and that's understandable, just try to relax and let Him do His work! :) If He wants you in religious life nothing will get in His way to make it happen!! I'm so sorry about the economy right now, it really does stink, here in OH the unemployment rate is above 11%. One part of the market that tends to do OK even in down turns is food service. It is not ideal, especially since you are trained for something else, but if money really is tight it is a good option. Up here we have some places like Panera that are always hiring but are a little less greasy than say McDonalds or Burger King. You won't make much but the key is to build experience for your resume so then you can move on to something else later...[/quote]

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1923761' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:37 PM']I know the economy is rough: I see a lot of my friends suffering because of it too. Check any and all retail positions, especially now: as people go back to school in the fall (starting mid-august, really) a lot of positions tend to open up: retail, food service, cleaning work, libraries, bookstores, coffee shops, you name it.

You can even check your local hospital: if they don't have anything open in nursing, see if they do in food service there. Same with local nursing homes. If you build a good relationship there with the staff, when a nursing position opens up, you would more likely considered for the position.

Also check your newspaper ads, especially in the Catholic newspaper. Often there are families looking for someone to stay with/cook for/clean for/ assist their ailing family members. I know we hired someone to be with my grandmother for a year or two so that we didn't have to put her in a nursing home. Especially with your nursing degree, you would be desirable for this.

In the meantime, find somewhere to volunteer, even if it is only slightly related to your line of work (for example, volunteer in the activities department at your local nursing home). Even if this doesn't lead to a job (and it could), it will give you somewhere respectable to serve as a reference for you when you do start looking for jobs.

Hang in there, and continue being proactive, even if it seems like you're filling out an application for every single store/restaurant/office building/nursing home in your area. If you're flexible and willing to work hard, I am confident that something will come up eventually.

God bless you![/quote]

I reiterated to my mom today that I am not being picky. Of course, my preference is not in fast food or delivering pizzas, but I can't afford not to have a job right now.

Today, my mom and I went to Zaxby's for lunch and I picked up an application there. What I do a lot is fill out the application and then copy it on my All-In-One printer and then take it to the place I picked the application up from and others in the same area. This takes the load off of filling out several different applications. ;) Basically anywhere I go now that I even have a slight interest in, I pick up an application. I picked one up from Chick-Fil-A when I was there this past week, and copied it to take to 3 other locations.

Panera is a good idea. I still have other places I haven't really thought of, so I am going to make a list and check off where I've applied to and go to where I haven't to pick up an application. :)

Thomist-in-Training, I like your suggestion on the PM. I will pray for St. Joseph to help me out. I can use all the help I can get!!! :wacko: LOL!

InHisLove726

[quote name='deusluxmea' post='1923791' date='Jul 18 2009, 02:17 PM']InHisLove726,

On these boards, you have dealt with constructive criticism with grace and humility. This is a rare trait and one much needed in religious life! Good on you![/quote]

[quote name='Kathgirl' post='1923826' date='Jul 18 2009, 03:29 PM']I couldn't agree more![/quote]

Thank you. You guys really lifted my spirits. God bless you! :D

tinytherese

You could also consider doing babysittting or becoming a nanny. Also, you can house sit for people or have a garage sale or yard sale.

InHisLove726

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1923929' date='Jul 18 2009, 05:41 PM']You could also consider doing babysittting or becoming a nanny. Also, you can house sit for people or have a garage sale or yard sale.[/quote]

I am thinking about passing out flyers in my neighborhood to do housekeeping or babysitting. I've got stuff on eBay right now that I'm trying to sell, too. I plan to have another garage sale when the weather gets a little nicer (not so hot :P ). :D