An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hmmmm... I've Been Thinking...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

If God doesn't want me to become cloistered, I think I may be drawn to the Salesian Sisters. I've been reading recently about the many holy people in the community over the past 150 years or so, and I'm amazed at their lives lived in such a holy way.

But as of right now, I still feel the draw to the Poor Clare Colettines, so we will see what He has in store for me! I must gather some courage to move forward. I'm kinda stuck in a rut with finishing my application.

Also, I just had a dental examination last month and forgot to bring the form for Mother Abbess. Do you think the dentist could use that past exam to fill out the form? It's just the basic condition and health of the teeth and gums and if there is anything that needs to be done. I'd like to avoid another visit and incur another expense if I don't have to. I'm planning on visiting the office come weekday, but I thought I would ask you all first.

InHisLove726

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1924240' date='Jul 19 2009, 12:05 AM']If God doesn't want me to become cloistered, I think I may be drawn to the Salesian Sisters. I've been reading recently about the many holy people in the community over the past 150 years or so, and I'm amazed at their lives lived in such a holy way.

But as of right now, I still feel the draw to the Poor Clare Colettines, so we will see what He has in store for me! I must gather some courage to move forward. I'm kinda stuck in a rut with finishing my application.

Also, I just had a dental examination last month and forgot to bring the form for Mother Abbess. Do you think the dentist could use that past exam to fill out the form? It's just the basic condition and health of the teeth and gums and if there is anything that needs to be done. I'd like to avoid another visit and incur another expense if I don't have to. I'm planning on visiting the office come weekday, but I thought I would ask you all first.[/quote]

I think that you should call your dentist up and ask him if you can bring the form for him to fill out. If you went just last month, then they won't schedule you again because you aren't due for cleaning for another 5 months. Just call them and bring the form to the office. You'll probably have to leave it and then come pick it back up. :)

I know what you mean about the Salesians. For me, I'm really drawn to the cloistered, contemplative life right now and the Visitation Nuns are grabbing my attention, but I am still very much drawn to the Carmelites. It's difficult to ascertain which cloistered order to visit first, LOL! :rolleyes:

I think you really should complete the application for the Poor Clares. I've heard that if you are in a rut, you really shouldn't make any important decisions. Just keep on going the same path that you've been taking. If later down the road, when you are feeling more attentive, you start to feel like God is leading you in a different direction, then you can make your move. Also, don't forget that you have many more years to decide if the Poor Clares are right for you before you make your final vows. ;)

I'll ask the Holy Family to guide you. May God bless you and be with you. :))

I'm sure the office would gladly fill out the dental form - and probably for free, based on what they learned during the last exam.

What's up with not finishing up the application? ... Fear? Lack of interest?

Not prying - just curious.

Sometimes, if you can name it...

When I was going to enter the PCPA I just went to my dentist and he filled out the form. I didn't need to have a special exam for the form. I'm thinking you won't either.

Good luck!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Luigi' post='1924272' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:23 PM']I'm sure the office would gladly fill out the dental form - and probably for free, based on what they learned during the last exam.

What's up with not finishing up the application? ... Fear? Lack of interest?

Not prying - just curious.

Sometimes, if you can name it...[/quote]

I'm slow with these things and not very organized. I've had the materials for a looooong time. It's kind of embarressing how long, but I cannot tell you how many times I've lost them and then times where I wasn't sure, and then I was so dead sure afterwards. I'm also a mighty good procrastinator and I do have a bit of fear from my mother (she isn't too happy with what God is calling me to do). I just need to charge on forward and just do it already!

[quote name='HisChild' post='1924273' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:23 PM']When I was going to enter the PCPA I just went to my dentist and he filled out the form. I didn't need to have a special exam for the form. I'm thinking you won't either.

Good luck![/quote]
Awesome :) Thanks!

if I may be so bold: the Now Habit is a great book about conquering procrastination. (if i only i ever finish it, oh the irony!)

Also love Salesian spirituality, I am reading Intro to Devout Life right now and it ROCKS. You read it?

InHisLove726

[quote name='deusluxmea' post='1924739' date='Jul 19 2009, 08:32 AM']if I may be so bold: the Now Habit is a great book about conquering procrastination. (if i only i ever finish it, oh the irony!)

Also love Salesian spirituality, I am reading Intro to Devout Life right now and it ROCKS. You read it?[/quote]

Hehe, I'm reading the exact same book. ;) Intro. is a great book! :))

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1924240' date='Jul 19 2009, 01:05 AM']If God doesn't want me to become cloistered, I think I may be drawn to the Salesian Sisters. I've been reading recently about the many holy people in the community over the past 150 years or so, and I'm amazed at their lives lived in such a holy way.

Also, I just had a dental examination last month and forgot to bring the form for Mother Abbess. Do you think the dentist could use that past exam to fill out the form? It's just the basic condition and health of the teeth and gums and if there is anything that needs to be done. I'd like to avoid another visit and incur another expense if I don't have to. I'm planning on visiting the office come weekday, but I thought I would ask you all first.[/quote]

The dentist shouldn't have any problem with filling out the form from the notes from your last visit. If you tell them it's for a convent, they might waive the fee if they have one. (One of my doctors will charge $15--or more--to fill out forms, depending on what it's for).

I would suggest a vocation retreat with the Visitation first, because the experience will give you a good feel for the cloistered life--at least the common threads that they have with all other cloistered orders--behind the wall; community life; common prayers, etc. The Visitation is a very sweet order, and other cloisters will have that too, but in a different way.

Then, if you feel you can deal with being behind the wall, go ahead with the Poor Clare Colettines. They make a vow of enclosure, so getting along with the life is essential to living out the vocation.

And, as always, when God calls, Our Lady bestows the graces--just keep that in mind.

Prepare for the retreat--ask to be open to the graces Our Lady will bestow upon you, esp. to learn the lessons about yourself and the cloistered life that you're meant to learn while there.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Noemi' post='1924755' date='Jul 19 2009, 11:19 AM']How strange customs in the USA... you should visit the dentist before moving into the cloister? Strange...[/quote]

Not strange at all. The monastery leadership has to know what your needs are before allowing you inside. If some of the health forms start showing something that hasn't been noticed by the proper medical authorities, the superior will ring back, saying, "Have you had this checked out?"

Being a foundress myself--even of hermits in their own homes--I still need to know about health conditions which could possibly interfere with their formation. I would take that into consideration, and make sure that if a condition flared up, that person would need more time for that particular part of the formation.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

Also, I would say it is wise, sensible and even courteous for a woman or man entering a religious order to make sure all of their heath and dental issues were seen to and taken care of before entrance. It is sensible for the entrant because while being formed into a very different life, (particularly the cloistered life) they should not have to deal with interruptions and distractions that may occur due to dental or health matters that might have been preventable with a little due diligence. Seems perfectly right to me, that an entrant make sure her cavities are filled and her older fillings are firm, that her gums are healthy and that her teeth have been cleaned and made free of built-up tarter. People don't always realize that dental health has a lot to do with the health of the body, as well; gum disease can directly affect the heart. - Get all your physicals and dental updates done before you enter, and you'll have a better chance of not having to interrupt your formation (or the routines of the house) for these matters (barring an emergency, of course.)

And this is a courtesy to the community, both spiritually and financially.

I don't see how thinking this way is a bad reflection on "Americans," btw.

the lords sheep

Finish that application! As someone who procrastinated it for a long time, it feels so great just to get it finished!
Take a Saturday (or a day off), go to Mass, ask for the grace to finish you application, then plop down at a coffee shop and don't leave until you're finished. Or, if you don't mind hand writing first and typing later, take your application to adoration, and offer that process as your prayer to the Lord.
Don't let your hesitations/questions stop you. Even after submitting an application, you can still decide that this is not where the Lord is calling you. I think you'll feel a weight lifted off your shoulders once it's finished, though, a real peace in your heart because you are moving forward in seeking God's will. At least that's what it was for me!

Good luck and God bless you!

Edit: PS- as far as your mother goes, [i]believe me[/i], I understand. But most likely, your mother's attitude is not going to change toward it until she sees you there and happy and fulfilled, so proceed with your application process and do what God is asking of you.

Re the whole dental thing: Dental care is not the same in Europe as in the US. For the most part, you go to the dentist only when there is a problem, not twice a year.

Edited by the lords sheep

I just saw this dental-thing first here, that's why I said "strange American customs". I didn't want to hurt anyone. Excuse me.

USA is different from Europe, especially from East-Europe. I know. :rolleyes:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1925555' date='Jul 20 2009, 05:11 AM']Finish that application! As someone who procrastinated it for a long time, it feels so great just to get it finished!
Take a Saturday (or a day off), go to Mass, ask for the grace to finish you application, then plop down at a coffee shop and don't leave until you're finished. Or, if you don't mind hand writing first and typing later, take your application to adoration, and offer that process as your prayer to the Lord.
Don't let your hesitations/questions stop you. Even after submitting an application, you can still decide that this is not where the Lord is calling you. I think you'll feel a weight lifted off your shoulders once it's finished, though, a real peace in your heart because you are moving forward in seeking God's will. At least that's what it was for me!

Good luck and God bless you![/quote]
Thanks, but my application is simply getting medical records, dental records, certificate w/ all my sacraments, a letter of recommendation from a priest, and a few questions asking if I am doing this freely and that I free from debt, or have the means to be eventually. I need to go out and do things, which makes it somewhat difficult.

[quote]Edit: PS- as far as your mother goes, [i]believe me[/i], I understand. But most likely, your mother's attitude is not going to change toward it until she sees you there and happy and fulfilled, so proceed with your application process and do what God is asking of you.[/quote]
I know. I've set my face like flint when it comes to dealing with rejection from my family. I need to do what the Lord asks of me. I can't let them hold me back, but its been difficult.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

It took me a while, but I dropped off the dental exam form! One less thing between me and the monastery! Now, I just need to set up a doctor's appointment and things should start rolling. I'm so excited I'm finally at this step. I hope I can get the rest finished just as quickly!
Thanks for all the help and advice and most importantly the prayers!