An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reading Suggestions For A Discerner?

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

Hi again! I am asking your assistance, please. :) I received a $50 gift card for Books-a-Million for my birthday yesterday and I didn't have any luck finding anything in the physical bookstore. The card is good online, but I don't know what to buy! :idontknow:

I really want to get some books for spiritual reading as I have been trying to do a lot of that lately since I don't currently have a spiritual director. I've already bought and/or read:

Story of a Soul
Introduction to the Devout Life
The Interior Castle
The Diary of St. Faustina
The Imitation of Christ
The Imitation of Mary
Prayers and Meditations of St. Therese of Lisieux

I was thinking of something by St. Therese or another Carmelite saint like Bl. Elizabeth. I already looked up "He Is My Heaven", but they don't have it! :sadder: I doubt they will have "God: The Joy of My Life."

Does anyone have any really good suggestions for a young Carmelite discerner? Your help is most appreciated! :saint:

InHisLove726

I was just looking at the selections that are available on St. Therese of Lisieux. It's mind-boggling how many there are! :wacko: I was thinking about buying:

[url="http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781928832287?id=4487369685065"]I Believe in Love: St. Therese of Lisieux[/url]

Has anyone read this? What do you think?

What about:

[url="http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781593250959?id=4487369685065"]Everything is a Grace[/url]

???

Thanks so much for your help!! :)

Edited by InHisLove726

TeresaBenedicta

I Believe in Love is a wonderful book and I highly recommend it to everyone who has a special devotion (or even slight interest!) in St. Therese. I've read it twice, in two very different times in my spiritual growth, and it has been very insightful and inspiring both times.

InHisLove726

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1933354' date='Jul 27 2009, 07:59 PM']I Believe in Love is a wonderful book and I highly recommend it to everyone who has a special devotion (or even slight interest!) in St. Therese. I've read it twice, in two very different times in my spiritual growth, and it has been very insightful and inspiring both times.[/quote]

Ok, I'll definitely order that one then. :D I believe my friend, Elizabeth, read it too, but she's hard to get in touch with these days. :rolleyes:

Thanks, TeresaBenedicta!

Now, I just need to figure out what else to buy. :saint:

TeresaBenedicta

You mentioned not currently having a spiritual director, right?

I would also recommend "Seeking Spiritual Direction" by Father Dubay. I haven't read it personally, but I've only heard good things about it. "Fire Within" is another good one by him.

I just finished reading two books on praying by Thomas Green, S.J. called "When the Well Runs Dry" and "Drinking from a Dry Well", which are very good, if not easy and quick reads. He relies heavily on Ss. John of the Cross and Teresa of Avila.

And, if you haven't read anything on Edith Stein, aka St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (guess where I got my screen name from hehe), I would also highly recommend a biography on her life. She's absolutely wonderful.

the lords sheep

"and you are Christ's" by Fr. Thomas Dubay is a great read about the call to consecrated virginity. The call to consecrated virginity is at the heart of every vocation to the monastery or religious life, so it's an imperative read (IMHO).

"Maurice and Therese: The Story of a Love" by Patrick Ahern is a really wonderful read, as well.

Happy reading!!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1933359' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:15 PM']"and you are Christ's" by Fr. Thomas Dubay is a great read about the call to consecrated virginity. The call to consecrated virginity is at the heart of every vocation to the monastery or religious life, so it's an imperative read (IMHO).

"Maurice and Therese: The Story of a Love" by Patrick Ahern is a really wonderful read, as well.

Happy reading!![/quote]

I concur. *nod*

InHisLove726

I haven't seen "Maurice and Therese" on Books-A-Million online. :sadder:

They do, however, have some books that you mentioned by Fr. Dubay. I will look at them and decide.

I also decided on buying "Lift Up Your Heart: A Guide to Spiritual Peace" by Archbishop Fulton Sheen. He is one of my favorite modern Catholic leaders. :)

I've got $25 left. :)

Deus te Amat

I was looking up books on Amazon and I found this.... :unsure:

[quote]SIX MONTHS IN A CONVENT, OR, THE NARRATIVE OF REBECCA THERESA REED, WHO WAS UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE ROMAN CATHOLICS ABOUT TWO YEARS, AND AN INMATE OF THE URSULINE CONVENT ON MOUNT BENEDICT, CHARLESTOWN, MASS., NEARLY SIX MONTHS IN THE YEARS 1831-2.[/quote]

Sounds like someone was doing drugs and ended up in jail.... :unsure:

InHisLove726

Has anyone read this?

[url="http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781930314092?id=4487369685065"]Archbishop Fulton Sheen's St. Therese : A Treasured Love Story [/url]

InHisLove726

Alright! I placed by order. ;) Here's what I am getting:

[b]The Way of Perfection[/b] by St. Teresa of Avila

[b]Seeking Spiritual Direction[/b] by Fr. Thomas Dubay

[b]I Believe in Love[/b] by Jean Du Coeur De Jesus D' Elbee

[b]Lift Up Your Heart: A Guide to Spiritual Peace[/b] by Fulton J. Sheen

Thank you all SO MUCH for your suggestions! I can't wait to get my new books! :))

Edited by InHisLove726

tinytherese

There's also a booklet based on what Pope John Paul II wrote called "The Meaning of Vocation."

Edited by tinytherese

InHisLove726

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1933555' date='Jul 27 2009, 11:16 PM']There's also a booklet based on what Pope John Paul II wrote called "The Meaning of Vocation."[/quote]

I actually have that. :) A community (I can't remember which one; it was probably a Carmelite community) sent it to me with the packet of information. I read it in its entirety. :)) I always liked PJP2. I really miss him!

I think you should read once the "Following of Christ" (or sg like this, I did a mirror-translating from Hungarian) from Thomas Kempis.

Maybe a book from Saint John of the Cross? (e.g.:Spiritual Songs)