An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reading Suggestions For A Discerner?

InHisLove726

the lords sheep

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1933635' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:11 AM']I actually have that. :) A community (I can't remember which one; it was probably a Carmelite community) sent it to me with the packet of information. I read it in its entirety. :)) I always liked PJP2. I really miss him![/quote]

The RSMs like to give out this little book :) It's a beautiful little read. I've used it to pray in adoration.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1933791' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:33 AM']The RSMs like to give out this little book :) It's a beautiful little read. I've used it to pray in adoration.[/quote]

A priest friend gave one to me when he was still a deacon. I love it!

InHisLove726

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1933791' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:33 AM']The RSMs like to give out this little book :) It's a beautiful little read. I've used it to pray in adoration.[/quote]

That's probably where I got it then! ;) I wrote them last year and got a packet of information.

I would recommend When God asks for an Undivided Heart by Fr. Andrew Apostoli...

The Major Spiritual Writings of Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity (esp. her last retreat and the greatness of our vocation... those are in one volume... her letters are in another volume... you might like them, but I didn't find they helped me get a very good impression of her spirituality, and I was a little bored with them). I also read a good commentary once about her prayer to the Blessed Trinity. It was written by a Carmelite prioress in particular for Carmelites to deepen their devotion to their charism... I will have to look it up to find the name and author though.

I've heard the Hidden Face by Ida M. Gorres is a very good book about Therese, especially because it gives such an honest picture of her and her monastery. I haven't read it personally, but a lot of sisters at OLAM really thought it benefited them.

I've heard that Carmelites especially recommend Teresa of the Andes for discerners and those in formation. I was given a book of excerpts of her writings that was pretty good, though I didn't connect with her spirituality.

Edited by zunshynn

InHisLove726

I've already placed my order. I'll have to get the other books some other time. ;) Thanks anyways!

The document Starting Afresh from Christ is a must-read, if you ask me. It's inspiring... tells you exactly what the Church wants its religious to be. The document Verbi Sponsa is also an important read if you're discerning the cloister.

The document from the Congregation for the Clergy on Spiritual Motherhood is also good reading, though it's not specifically about religious...

the lords sheep

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1933931' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:54 PM']The document from the Congregation for the Clergy on Spiritual Motherhood is also good reading, though it's not specifically about religious...[/quote]

:yes:

[quote name='Noemi' post='1933769' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:25 AM']I think you should read once the "Following of Christ" (or sg like this, I did a mirror-translating from Hungarian) from Thomas Kempis.

Maybe a book from Saint John of the Cross? (e.g.:Spiritual Songs)[/quote]

The English title is "The Imitation of Christ" and yes, that book comes highly recommended!

Another book for discerners is [i]Religious Vocation: An unnecessary mystery[/i] by Fr. Richard Butler, OP. I realize he's not a Carmelite, and you've made your purchase already, but if anyone else is interested, go for it.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1934675' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:37 AM']Another book for discerners is [i]Religious Vocation: An unnecessary mystery[/i] by Fr. Richard Butler, OP. I realize he's not a Carmelite, and you've made your purchase already, but if anyone else is interested, go for it.[/quote]

I've read this, and I'd endorse it. I think, perhaps, sometimes he goes a little far in his discussion, but for the most part it is very helpful and he has some very good points.

loveletslive

this thread is *very* helpful! thank you all for your suggestions! my amazon shopping list is overflowing :)

Saint Therese

I would like to add [i]St. Teresa of Avila [/i]by [b]Marcelle Auclair[/b].

Edited by Saint Therese

DominicanPhilosophy

Ignacio Larranaga's "Come with Me" - a bit hard to follow at times because of deep philosophy and the translation from Spanish into English, but very good. It was recommended to me by a Nashville Dominican, who said the Novice Mistress of the congregation often recommended it to sisters in the community. It is especially good if you have/have had problems with anxiety, perfectionistic tendencies, etc.

As far as Archbishop Fulton Sheen's book on St. Therese, I actually just got that, so once I read it, I'll try to remember to post about it. It looks very good, though, and the cover pictures .. :love:

I would also recommend, at some point, Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons. It's humorous, but also serious and gives good advice and words to live by. I got it two years ago as a little going-away present for my school's March for Life trip, and I have to say, it was really helpful to read, as I was going through major spiritual changes at the time. It also set me on fire for Christ for the March! ;)

Let us know what books you picked on Amazon!

+JMJD