An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Novice At St. Walburga's

DameAgnes

As a Benedictine Oblate, I am so happy to see a third novice begin her canonical year at St. Walburga's Abbey in CO. Prayers for Sr. Judith (in this community names-in-religion are given at First Vows)

[url="http://www.walburga.org/Novitiate.html"]http://www.walburga.org/Novitiate.html[/url]

Look at how happy they all look! What a glowing novitiate!

Yay! Yay! More pray-ers in a world that needs prayers so desperately!

Yay for the Bennies (well, I MUST put up some little resistance to all you Dominicans!)

Edited by DameAgnes

VeniteAdoremus
:D

I love their veils.

My, I AM shallow tonight :(

Sr. Raisa looks like she just pulled a prank! I approve. :)

Thanks Dame Agnes, and I'm with you on the Bennies. I don't understand why people bother to go elsewhere! :bigthink:

kavalamyself

I believe all of us here on PM can appreciate a beautiful habit. I know one woman who longs for the days of the Daughters of Charity and their bountiful headpieces, but like those above me, I too love the look of the Benedictine habit in all of its glory. The wimple really completes the "look" (and yes, I too will accuse myself of being shallow)!

These nuns truly look divine!

Edited by kavalamyself

Maria_Faustina

So pretty! In a shallow, physical way as well as a spiritual, eternally-directed way. :) (After all, habits are gorgeous because they represent something more). Always so wonderful to know habited, contemplative orders are getting new vocations!

DevotedtoHim

I think this a great community! Kavala, I also know someone who wants that cornette (coronette?) back! Funny how small the internet is! Anyway, these Benedictines really are beautiful women - inside and out! I think the outside just reflects completely what is inside!

the lords sheep

Yay for vocations! (Even if they are Benedictine... ;) ) They all look absolutely radiant. For all you Bennies: who is Saint/Blessed Lioba?

As far as the DoC Cornette goes: I've been told by Daughters that they were beautiful but horrible! In order to stay up like that, the cornettes were heavily starched, and all those harsh chemicals rubbing on the face cause the Sisters to get ulcers under their veils around their ears.
While I love a beautiful habit as much as the next girl, there's something to be said for practicality. (Sorry for the :hijack:!)

VeniteAdoremus

St. Lioba was a sister of St. Boniface (Bonifatius) and a Benedictine abbess. They converted much of what is now Western Germany and the North-East of the Netherlands.

And I fully agree on the practicality part :) I also heard that a DoC in the rain is a sad sight indeed... :)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1934916' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:21 PM']St. Lioba was a sister of St. Boniface (Bonifatius) and a Benedictine abbess. They converted much of what is now Western Germany and the North-East of the Netherlands.

And I fully agree on the practicality part :) I also heard that a DoC in the rain is a sad sight indeed... :)[/quote]

fsvo "sister" - I learnt that she was a cousin (the Bonifatial family came from more or less the same part of England as I do).

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1935062' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:36 AM']fsvo "sister" - I learnt that she was a cousin (the Bonifatial family came from more or less the same part of England as I do).[/quote]

See? This is why you should not run off to rub shoulders with priestly internet celebrities all the time.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1935098' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:13 AM']See? This is why you should not run off to rub shoulders with priestly internet celebrities all the time.[/quote]

niet snap :(

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1935455' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:28 PM']niet snap :([/quote]

I meant that you should stay around to correct my factual errors. :)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1935468' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:07 PM']I meant that you should stay around to correct my factual errors. :)[/quote]

lolz ;)

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1934911' date='Jul 29 2009, 05:16 PM']Yay for vocations! (Even if they are Benedictine... ;) ) They all look absolutely radiant. For all you Bennies: who is Saint/Blessed Lioba?

As far as the DoC Cornette goes: I've been told by Daughters that they were beautiful but horrible! In order to stay up like that, the cornettes were heavily starched, and all those harsh chemicals rubbing on the face cause the Sisters to get ulcers under their veils around their ears.
While I love a beautiful habit as much as the next girl, there's something to be said for practicality. (Sorry for the :hijack:!)[/quote]

IMHO, they could have gone to a white veil with pointed coif, like what the Marian Missionary Sisters and Medical Mission Sisters had Pre-VatII.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1934440' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:20 AM']So pretty! In a shallow, physical way as well as a spiritual, eternally-directed way. :) (After all, habits are gorgeous because they represent something more). Always so wonderful to know habited, contemplative orders are getting new vocations![/quote]

That's what Cloister Outreach is here for! [url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/"]http://cloisters.tripod.com/[/url]

The site's in the process of being updated.

Blessings,
Gemma