An Old School Catholic Message Board

Unusual Vows

Thomist-in-Training

Thomist-in-Training

Whilst looking something up for a thread in Open Mic, I read that St. Peter Julian Eymard made a "Vow of Personality," offering up all his own interests and will. St. Gabriel of the Sorrowful Mother made a fifth vow of Marian consecration and to spread devotion to her, I'm not sure of the exact wording. Do you know of any others like this?

Some religious orders also have extra vows like Total Consecration to Mary, education, devotion to the Passion etc. I think those are interesting too but in this thread I'm especially interested in those made by individuals, like the examples about. (I was inspired by VA's thread and the Blue Habits thread to post a wildly specific theoretical topic. :D)

TeresaBenedicta

I don't remember exactly, but didn't St. Therese make herself some sort of "victim" to... I don't remember, victim of love or something or another.

Vow of Victim Love or Zeal for Souls, made by the Good Shepherd Sisters, Intercessors of the Lamb and other orders related to St. John Eudes

InHisLove726

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1935972' date='Jul 30 2009, 10:48 PM']I don't remember exactly, but didn't St. Therese make herself some sort of "victim" to... I don't remember, victim of love or something or another.[/quote]

She made the [b][url="http://www.rc.net/org/therese/actof.htm"]Act of Oblation to Merciful Love[/url][/b]. A beautiful formula.... :love:

mariaassunta

Some communities take an extra vow as it is something there founder had e.g.

Little Sisters of The Poor- Vow of hospitality

and many more are out there, the list is too long to write, but the above is one example, which Jeanne Jugan there foundress really put into the Order. She will be proclaimed a SAINT in October!

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='angelofmary' post='1937220' date='Jul 31 2009, 08:51 PM']Some communities take an extra vow as it is something there founder had e.g.

Little Sisters of The Poor- Vow of hospitality

and many more are out there, the list is too long to write, but the above is one example, which Jeanne Jugan there foundress really put into the Order. She will be proclaimed a SAINT in October![/quote]

Cool, so what does the vow of hospitality mean? Is it mostly a way of treating people, or does it also mean that they welcome people onto their grounds like the Benedictines?

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1937259' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:51 PM']Cool, so what does the vow of hospitality mean? Is it mostly a way of treating people, or does it also mean that they welcome people onto their grounds like the Benedictines?[/quote]

Here's one way in which in their hospitality showed...

During my Easter break, the sisters graciously took me in, gave me a room to stay in, meals, and then packed me a "college goodie" bag, which consisted of tooth brushes, tooth paste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. All the kind of goodies that college students are too poor to go and buy very often.

And they refused to accept a donation afterwards.

The Missionaries of Charity have a fourth vow of "Whole-hearted and Free Service to the Poorest of the Poor"

VeniteAdoremus

But we're looking for [i]personal[/i] vows made by [i]individual[/i] religious, right?

C'meon, the collective nerdiness of Vocation Station hasn't failed before ;)

InHisLove726

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1937771' date='Aug 1 2009, 04:15 AM']But we're looking for [i]personal[/i] vows made by [i]individual[/i] religious, right?

C'meon, the collective nerdiness of Vocation Station hasn't failed before ;)[/quote]

:hehehe:

Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity made an [b]Act of Oblation to the Trinity[/b]

[quote]O my God, Trinity whom I adore! Help me to become utterly forgetful of self, that I may bury myself in Thee, as changeless and as calm as though my soul were already in eternity . . . O my Three, my All, my Beatitude, Infinite Solitude, Immensity wherein I lose myself! I yield myself to Thee as Thy prey. Bury Thyself in me that I may be buried in Thee, until I depart to contemplate in Thy light the abyss of Thy greatness![/quote]

It was made in November 1904 when her community was renewing their vows.

Edited by InHisLove726

Saint Therese

Saint Teresa of Jesus made a vow to do always what is most perfect and pleasing to God, as did ( I think) Bl.Teresa of Calcutta.

Nihil Obstat

I feel so out of post on the Vocation Station, but Bl. Mother Teresa made a personal vow to, under pain of mortal sin, never refuse Jesus anything.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1938509' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:41 PM']I feel so out of post on the Vocation Station, but Bl. Mother Teresa made a personal vow to, under pain of mortal sin, never refuse Jesus anything.[/quote]

Oh, yeah, that was it!