An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Saint Has Influenced Your Vocation Most?

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

I believe I owe my vocation solely to the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Therese's intercession. I'm incredibly moved by Therese's life story. She is not only my patron saint, but my best friend, and has given me much comfort and peace in times of hopelessness and fear. Not only did she lead me to my vocation in Carmel, but she led me back to it when I abandoned it in search of my vocation elsewhere. She has such love for God's children and is a very faithful friend. ;)

I hope, when I become a religious (God-willing) in the Carmelite order, that I can take her name. Something like:

Sr. Therese Marie of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

:love:

Edited by InHisLove726

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Mary Immaculate and St. Teresa of Avila for sure, but so many others in many different ways. I love the Communion of Saints :)

Our Lady, naturally, because she not only raised the Son of God, but did it perfectly and as a good wife. St. Monica because of her commitment to prayer and to the spiritual welfare of her husband and Augustine--she never gave up on them, even when things were grim. There's also my patron, Maria Goretti, for her selflessness, purity, and simple trust in God.

TeresaBenedicta

Our Lady, for sure. She brought me to her mountain for college, which has been a place of immense growth and maturing in my faith and discovery of my vocation.

St. Monica & St. Augustine were huge in my conversion to the faith.

St. Dominic Savio inspired me to seek after holiness.

St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross is my hero.

St. Margaret of Scotland. She wanted to be a nun, but ending up marrying a rough man that she had to civilize.

VeniteAdoremus

1. Mary
2. Mary
3-10. Mary*
11. St. Dominic

What finally, completely, utterly, beyond-doubtly-dragged me over the edge was a talk on the Immaculate Conception and how Mary's sinlessness gave her the grace to say "yes" when Gabriel came calling. At that point, I thought Mary=full of grace=able to give life to the Saviour. Me = at least trying = able to do what's asked of [i]me[/i] -> bring it on!

I was already discerning at that point, and reading about the Order, and how St. Dominic's spirituality fit mine to a tee had given me the feeling that this is [i]real[/i], not something that happens only to other people.

*(AND NOW I GET TO BE PART OF HER BIRTHDAY PRESENT OMG *drops over*)

Thomist-in-Training

Our Lady, an attraction and great fondness for St Thomas led me to believe, mistakenly, that I had a Dominican vocation so I don't know how that fits in; St Anthony REALLY jumped in there to help me and rolled up his sleeves. As it were. I'm just starting to appreciate St. Joseph.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1936974' date='Jul 31 2009, 06:12 PM']1. Mary
2. Mary
3-10. Mary*
11. St. Dominic

What finally, completely, utterly, beyond-doubtly-dragged me over the edge was a talk on the Immaculate Conception and how Mary's sinlessness gave her the grace to say "yes" when Gabriel came calling. At that point, I thought Mary=full of grace=able to give life to the Saviour. Me = at least trying = able to do what's asked of [i]me[/i] -> bring it on!

I was already discerning at that point, and reading about the Order, and how St. Dominic's spirituality fit mine to a tee had given me the feeling that this is [i]real[/i], not something that happens only to other people.

*(AND NOW I GET TO BE PART OF HER BIRTHDAY PRESENT OMG *drops over*)[/quote]

By the way VA you are SO awesome.

1. St. Francis of Assisi, Franciscan, because he was very impetous and determined to be a saint. I love his spirituality. He finds God in everything and is willing to do all for him.
2. St. Francis Xavier, Jesuit, because he was a missionary. He's the odd Jesuit out!
3. St. Clare of Assisi, Poor Clare, because she was the first Poor Lady.
4. St. Anthony of Padua, Franciscan.. He just keeps popping up in my life. I go to a church named for him now and I will again after I enter the Franciscans.. He's everywhere. And we're close.. I lose too much stuff!
5. St. Bonaventure, Franciscan, because he was a doctor of the Church and writes beautifully.
6. St. Agnes of Assisi, Poor Clare, because I like her name and she was St. Clare's little sister.
7. The Novice who received the Franciscan Crown (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04540a.htm) because he gave us the Franciscan crown!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I think I first came to know my vocation through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and I confided in Our Lady with the many obstacles that it presented. I was quite influenced by St. Faustina by reading her diary several years back and then later, I left St. Anthony in charge of my vocation. Mother Abbess began praying to him for me, and I have followed suit! Mother knows best! ^_^