An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Saint Has Influenced Your Vocation Most?

InHisLove726

Mary, Mother of Sorrows, our Seven Holy Fathers (they were in as huge unity as the apostoles!), Saint John apostole (I got my vocation on the feast of St.John. We call him "the first servita" as he did what we also should: accept Mary to our house!), Saint Julianne, Saint Therese of the Infant Jesus and the Holy Face, Saint Francis of Borgia (Jesuit friar, I was baptised on his feast day and I'm attending to a Jesuit school).

WisdomSeeker

I am still in the process of discerning my vocation but for me it is;

Our Lady of Lourdes,
St Therese,
St Padre Pio,
St Joseph,
St Bernadette.

littlesister

Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal ("Come to the foot of the altar. Grace will be given you in abundance.")
St. (almost) Jeanne Jugan
St. Catherine Laboure

ooh! like [b]littlesister[/b]

01. Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal
02. St. Vincent de Paul
03. St. Catherine Laboure
04. St. Pio
05. St. Therese
06. St. Teresa of Avila
07. St. Faustina
08. St. Camillus de Lellis
09. St. Thomas Aquinas
10. St. Bruno

Although not a saint (but a very saintly woman) Mother Angelica has inspired e in pursuing religious vocation.

RosaMystica

My #1 isn't a saint but my devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus was extremely instrumental in making me realize my vocation
Our Lady
St. Cecilia
St. Rose of Lima (the first time a visited a community, I came out of there saying that I wanted to be Sr. Cecilia Rose. That community was actually the DSMMEs :love: )
St. Mary Magdalen
St. Therese
St. Faustina
St. Catherine of Siena
St. Dominic
Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity

InHisLove726

[quote name='MandyKhatoon' post='1939499' date='Aug 3 2009, 12:31 AM']My #1 isn't a saint but my devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus was extremely instrumental in making me realize my vocation
Our Lady
St. Cecilia
St. Rose of Lima (the first time a visited a community, I came out of there saying that I wanted to be Sr. Cecilia Rose. That community was actually the DSMMEs :love: )
St. Mary Magdalen
St. Therese
St. Faustina
St. Catherine of Siena
St. Dominic
Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity[/quote]

Sr. Cecilia Rose is a very beautiful name! Do you think you might still use it? How does DSMMEs choose the new religious names? :)

[quote name='MandyKhatoon' post='1939499' date='Aug 3 2009, 12:31 AM']My #1 isn't a saint but my devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus was extremely instrumental in making me realize my vocation
Our Lady
St. Cecilia
Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity[/quote]

That REMINDS me, Mandy, I had a dream about you about a week ago, that you were clothed as a novice with the DSSME's and your name was Sr. Maria Sharbel. Turned out that was his feastday, so you know, my subconscious was probably aware of that.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charbel"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charbel[/url]

When do the novices learn their new names, btw, do you know?

RosaMystica

DA! I know it was just a dream but I can't deny that hearing that gave me great joy! :D

I'm going to answer your question and IHL's question at the same time. Oh and by the way, IHL feel free to use that name (Cecilia Rose) if you'd like, I probably won't use it anymore ;). About a week or so before the postulants receive the habit, they write down three names that they like and in the order in which the like them. They submit that to Mother and then Mother chooses from those three. There has been an incidence or two where Mother actually didn't pick the name from the list but gave the new novice a name she thought suited her better. The new novice ended up liking that name much more than the ones she put down :). I think I already know the three names I would put down :love:. The postulants receive the habit on August 5th. There will be final profession tomorrow (the 4th) and first profession on the 6th. I will be at both of those because I am so blessed to live so close to the Motherhouse :D.

RosaMystica

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1939528' date='Aug 3 2009, 02:08 AM']That REMINDS me, Mandy, I had a dream about you about a week ago, that you were clothed as a novice with the DSSME's and your name was Sr. Maria Sharbel. Turned out that was his feastday, so you know, my subconscious was probably aware of that.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charbel"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charbel[/url]

When do the novices learn their new names, btw, do you know?[/quote]

Oh my goodness! That actually reminds me of something! Two years ago I wrote the monastery where St. Charbel lived and died and they sent me his biography, his novena, a couple holy cards and relics, and some incense, and I think some oil as well! Wow, I forgot all about that. I haven't read the biography they sent me yet.... maybe I should do that :)

TeresaBenedicta

I'm actually a little bit surprised nobody has mentioned JPII. I mean, granted, he's not yet canonized... but, ya know... I've heard that he's to have been very influential for a lot folk.

StGiannaismyhero!

[color="#9932CC"]St Therese has been the most influential in my vocation. Recently St Monica and St Gianna have both been influential.

JMJ+
~Betsy

Totus tuus Maria![/color]

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Spence06' post='1940181' date='Aug 4 2009, 06:00 AM']John Vianney, I spent a few days in Ars in March and it was absolutely amazing![/quote]

Happy Feast day :)