An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Saint Has Influenced Your Vocation Most?

InHisLove726

Maria_Faustina

Our Beautiful Lady of Guadalupe--wow, will she do everything in her power (which is saying a lot) to bring you to Jesus and your vocation in Him. Of course, Our Blessed Mother is always amazing, no matter what title. Everyone should still read the [url="http://www.sancta.org/nican.html"]account[/url] of her appearing Juan Diego.

St. Therese, with her Story of a Soul.
St. Faustina, with her amazing trust and childlike faith in Jesus in Divine Mercy in My Soul.
St. Francis of Assisi, for being such an awe-inspiring example of perfect imitation of God's joy and of Jesus Himself, even to recieving the Holy Stigmata.
St. Joseph is just awesome--can you imagine what a wonderful man he was?
St. Rose of Lima--talk about mortification all for love of God.
Bl. Teresa of Calcutta, with her ridiculous determination and faith through everything she went through.
Sts. Mary Magdalene and Margaret of Cortona.

I hope we weren't supposed to narrow it down. :)

InHisLove726

[quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1940529' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:24 PM']Our Beautiful Lady of Guadalupe--wow, will she do everything in her power (which is saying a lot) to bring you to Jesus and your vocation in Him. Of course, Our Blessed Mother is always amazing, no matter what title. Everyone should still read the [url="http://www.sancta.org/nican.html"]account[/url] of her appearing Juan Diego.

St. Therese, with her Story of a Soul.
St. Faustina, with her amazing trust and childlike faith in Jesus in Divine Mercy in My Soul.
St. Francis of Assisi, for being such an awe-inspiring example of perfect imitation of God's joy and of Jesus Himself, even to recieving the Holy Stigmata.
St. Joseph is just awesome--can you imagine what a wonderful man he was?
St. Rose of Lima--talk about mortification all for love of God.
Bl. Teresa of Calcutta, with her ridiculous determination and faith through everything she went through.
Sts. Mary Magdalene and Margaret of Cortona.

I hope we weren't supposed to narrow it down. :)[/quote]

LOL, you'll be disqualified, along with everyone else who gave more than one answer, but then I would be too. ;) I just love hearing who influenced whom. :D

I'm starting to really be influenced by St. Teresa of Avila. I just love her writings now, which is funny considering how much I used to dislike them. I used to see her as some staunch foundress, but through reading about her troubles, I have come to see her human side and I adore her. Though I would never like another saint as much as I love my spiritual friend, St. Therese. ;) I adore her so much.

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Luckily, in my case, it's not St. Monica. For me, personally, St. Matilda and St. Margaret of Scotland.

I can answer for my daughters - I believe for both of them reading "A Story of A Soul" had a profound impact and inspired them to delve into religious life.

Pax,

TradMom

InHisLove726

[quote name='TradMom' post='1940644' date='Aug 4 2009, 07:32 PM']+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Luckily, in my case, it's not St. Monica. For me, personally, St. Matilda and St. Margaret of Scotland.

I can answer for my daughters - I believe for both of them reading "A Story of A Soul" had a profound impact and inspired them to delve into religious life.

Pax,

TradMom[/quote]

St. Therese has that effect on young women! :lol_roll:

Maria Faustina

My Confirmation saint, St. Veronica, first led me to think about serving the Lord more in daily life. St. Faustina's diary and intercession directed me toward Christ and caused me to realize how much He really loves me and expects of me. The Queen of Heaven oicked up from there and taught me humility, purity, and true love. Saint Thomas Aquinas brought everything full circle with my love of studying and encouraged me to practice purity and to give everything I did for God's glory. I guess he's the one responsible for my Dominican vocation :)) .

St. Thomas really is like a brother to me. In fact, my nickname at school is Aquinas :)

RosaMystica

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1941087' date='Aug 5 2009, 09:55 AM']St. Thomas really is like a brother to me. In fact, my nickname at school is Aquinas :)[/quote]

That's really cool. :)

Sr Marianne

I was thinking about religious life from an early age but when it came to the crunch - time to actually apply (I was 19 years old) I kept thinking of reasons to wait. Maybe I was too young, maybe I was just called to be an active life, maybe I should wait until I was really REALLY sure, maybe I was not worthy.....
Then I read St Therese of Liseux's autobiography and was struck by her total focus on her vocation - she knew that was the most important thing and let nothing stand in her way. I felt such a strong confirmation I went ahead. Many years later I discovered one of the Sisters who was praying for me was at that moment making a novena to St Therese for me.

That was 18 years ago and I am now gratefully and joyfully living as a Franciscan Sister Minoress in Derbyshire. Thanks be to God.

I had also taken M. Kolbe as my confirmation saint and can now see why, as a Franciscan and lover of Our Lady as well as full of courage, faith, zeal to spread the Word...

laetitia crucis

1. Mary, Mother of Sorrows -- I gave her my vocation when I first started discerning. :love:
2. St. Ignatius of Loyola -- His zeal, his love for Our Lady, his heart! Ah!
3. St. Louis Marie Gringon de Montfort -- He opened my eyes to Our Lady. Hello, True Devotion!
4. St. Pio of Pietrelcina - there aren't even words for this one.
5. St. Anthony of Padua - ditto above!

• 4 weeks later...