An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smarty Pants

Lilllabettt

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1939722' date='Aug 3 2009, 01:00 PM']I too have a Buckley fangirl crush. I find most of my fangirl crushes revolve around deceased brainiacs.[/quote]

*happy dance* Dante, Dante, Dante!
I think there's another too but I actually can't remember at the moment. Well, St. Thomas, but I think there's another.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1940226' date='Aug 4 2009, 06:59 AM']*happy dance* Dante, Dante, Dante!
I think there's another too but I actually can't remember at the moment. Well, St. Thomas, but I think there's another.[/quote]

Chesterton :love:

1. he was a genius
2. he was (well, almost) my height
3. I love to cook, he loved to eat

I found the book [b]Chesterton[/b] wrote on [b]St. Thomas Aquinas[/b] when I was at the convent last month. Do you want me to repeat that? [i]Chesterton on St. Thomas[/i].

My mind went to a very happy place for a minute when I saw the title page.

I think you should commence considering methods for incorporating this endearing aspect of your personality into your religious appelation. My humble suggestion follow forthwith, replete with optional prepositional surnames. Feel free to rearrange the roots and suffixes to suit your taste.

Sr. Mary Lexica of the Everlasting Word
Sr. Mary Vocabula of the Tower of Babel
Sr. Mary Word Nerd of the OED
Sr. Mary Very Long Word Incarnate of the Collegiate Vocabulary
Sr. Mary Semantica of the Logophilia
Sr. Mary Gospel of the Good Spelling

And last, but certainnly not least...

Sr. Mary In the Beginning Was the Word of the Gospel of St. John the Evangelist

InHisLove726

[quote name='Luigi' post='1940677' date='Aug 4 2009, 09:06 PM']I think you should commence considering methods for incorporating this endearing aspect of your personality into your religious appelation. My humble suggestion follow forthwith, replete with optional prepositional surnames. Feel free to rearrange the roots and suffixes to suit your taste.

Sr. Mary Lexica of the Everlasting Word
Sr. Mary Vocabula of the Tower of Babel
Sr. Mary Word Nerd of the OED
Sr. Mary Very Long Word Incarnate of the Collegiate Vocabulary
Sr. Mary Semantica of the Logophilia
Sr. Mary Gospel of the Good Spelling

And last, but certainnly not least...

Sr. Mary In the Beginning Was the Word of the Gospel of St. John the Evangelist[/quote]

[quote name='Luigi' post='1940679' date='Aug 4 2009, 09:07 PM']OH! I forgot the one that sprang to mind first, which inspired all the others ---

Sr. Mary Smartypants![/quote]

:lol_pound:

Lilllabettt

Sr. Mary Word Nerd.

The best.

Do you know, when I was a postulant I was informally named "Sr. Mary Absalom,"

You know, how Absalom got his hair caught in the boughs of an oak tree? Well I had Epic Postulant Hair, eg., thick, unruly and too short for a ponytail.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1940754' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:02 PM']Sr. Mary Word Nerd.

The best.

Do you know, when I was a postulant I was informally named "Sr. Mary Absalom,"

You know, how Absalom got his hair caught in the boughs of an oak tree? Well I had Epic Postulant Hair, eg., thick, unruly and too short for a ponytail.[/quote]

Hahahahaha! Poor thing.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1940754' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:02 PM']Sr. Mary Word Nerd.

The best.[/quote]

Hmmm... I'm partial to the Latin myself......
Sister Maria Verbosa
Sister M. Verbum Sapienti
Sister M. Loquatious
:wacko:

[quote name='stlmom' post='1941088' date='Aug 5 2009, 08:58 AM']Hmmm... I'm partial to the Latin myself......
Sister Maria Verbosa
Sister M. Verbum Sapienti
Sister M. Loquatious
:wacko:[/quote]

This is hysterical! I thought about adding a sentence saying "You can Latinize any of these, too," but I thought it was too lame, and I had already written too much, and you did a better job of providing Latin examples than I would have anyway.

When I was growing up, I kept being told not to be smart, so in obedience to that I am really very stupid. Nevertheless, I love words. Back when I used to write poetry, I would sometimes scour dictionaries and thesauruses (Thesauri?) in search of the word that had just the right nuances I was looking for, even if it fell out of common usage 400 years ago. I would also drive some of my fellow students in senior undergrad and graduate courses in History. I would come up with the occasional one third page long latinate sentence, with an Ablative Absolute and a few dependant clauses, that was grammatically flawless. Even with the occasional sesquipedalian sentence, I still could write clearly. It is not hard; it just takes practice.

Ps to VA: Whilst there still is time, look up Samuel Johnson. He was one of the finest prose stylists in the English Language. He also had total recall, possessed an occasionally terrifying intelligence, and wrote the first dictionary of the English language that wasn’t little more than a word list. He wrote a short story called Rasselas, which has been called the wisest and saddest work in all literature, with the sole exception of Ecclesiastes. He wrote it in the evenings of one week in order to cover the costs of his mother’s funeral.

I LOVE this thread! LOL! I can't stop laughing.

Seriously Lillabett, should you be a wordsmith, that is a talent, not to be hidden under a bushel basket. I hope to not sound uncharitable but perhaps that particular sister was intimidated by a 'mere' postulant who had a more profound vocab than her? I understand your unwillingness to humiliate another, but she very well could have been annoyed by your thick hair, or your height/weight. Who knows?

As for humiliation? I love Eleanor Roosevelt's quote: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

God bless you.