An Old School Catholic Message Board

Writing Carmelite Communities

InHisLove726

The Pittsford Carmel is very prayerful and serious. I cannot tell you the number of people who knew of the Schenectady sisters, all over the world. They moved to Pittsford when the Pittsford community became small and very elderly.

InHisLove726

[quote name='Vin' post='1942780' date='Aug 7 2009, 02:00 PM']The Pittsford Carmel is very prayerful and serious. I cannot tell you the number of people who knew of the Schenectady sisters, all over the world. They moved to Pittsford when the Pittsford community became small and very elderly.[/quote]

Their website really speaks to me. :) I want to go and visit them if they will permit me when I have the money.

InHisLove726

Unfortunately, I missed a phone call from Sr. Corinne earlier today (10:30ish) from the San Antonio, TX Carmel. :( Fortunately for me, she said she'd call back later. She said she wanted to talk to me about my letter. :)

Ah, that's cute.

When I call from my work phone you'll get "Catholic church" if you look it up. I think that's kind of funny.

So you'd be barefeet then?

InHisLove726

[quote name='Hilde' post='1945687' date='Aug 10 2009, 07:10 PM']Ah, that's cute.

When I call from my work phone you'll get "Catholic church" if you look it up. I think that's kind of funny.

So you'd be barefeet then?[/quote]

Technically, "discalced" does mean "shoeless." When the order started out, the nuns made their own rope sandals (I don't know the actual name of the sandals; it starts with an "a") to reflect the austere life they desired to live. Leather shoes were of the rich, rope sandals for the poor of the streets. ;)

The orders that follow the 1990 Constitutions still wear the rope sandals (which look like espadrilles, only less fancy and without the heel), but most of the 1991 Constitution Carmels wear regular sandals, and sometimes regular shoes (for working in the garden or other tasks).

Carmel has a very intriguing history. ;)

InHisLove726

Well, I just got off the phone with the Sister (Sr. Corinne) after chatting about 30 minutes about the letter and just my vocation discernment in general. She asked me a few questions and I asked her a few too (about 3 or 4). At the beginning, I was just plain nervous (and told her so, while laughing :blush:) but as time wore on, I became comfortable and was just happy to talk to her.

At the end, she told me she would like to keep in contact with me and I could either call them, or write them a letter with questions and she'll call me if I'm more comfortable with that. Since I don't know their horarium, I'll probably do the latter.

She was very nice. I'm so glad she called back. :)) If I ever get a job, I hope I can go visit with them in person. I trust God will provide! ;)

InHisLove726

After getting a positive response from San Antonio, I feel motivated to write other cloisters. I'm including these:

[url="http://www.carmelitenuns.org/"]Ada (Parnell), MI[/url]
[url="http://www.carmelitenunsstjoseph.org/Trav.htm"]Traverse City, MI[/url]
Brooklyn, NY (no webpage)
[url="http://www.carmelitenunsstjoseph.org/Phil.htm"]Philadelphia, PA[/url]
[url="http://www.stormpages.com/mtcarmel/"]St. Louis, MO[/url]
[url="http://users.erols.com/carmel-of-port-tobacco/"]Port Tobacco, MD[/url]

I am still looking at other websites, and I'll probably write more. Does anyone know about the Louisville, KY Carmelites? Apparently, they have no website, but I saw their address on the OCD website. Do they have the traditional habit?

Also, if anyone knows of any other Carmelite nuns that I failed to mention that have a solid prayer life, please let me know. ;) God bless!

I'm wondering... if you got such a favorable response from the first Carmel, why are you writing more? Was it the first community you'd written ever? Do you have a good spiritual director that's helping you?

When I started discerning religious life, my wonderful spiritual director told me, when she saw my list of those I wanted to write (I went through the Guide to Religious Ministries and just started marking away), "Sometimes when you chase too many rabbits, you catch none."

InHisLove726

[quote name='HisChild' post='1946109' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:12 AM']I'm wondering... if you got such a favorable response from the first Carmel, why are you writing more? Was it the first community you'd written ever? Do you have a good spiritual director that's helping you?

When I started discerning religious life, my wonderful spiritual director told me, when she saw my list of those I wanted to write (I went through the Guide to Religious Ministries and just started marking away), "Sometimes when you chase too many rabbits, you catch none."[/quote]

It's the first Carmel that I've written in a long time. I have no intention of applying anywhere right now and I just started communication with San Antonio. I want to look at my options before settling on just one.

I've wanted to send a letter to Ada (Parnell) for a long time, but I never did for some odd reason. :blush: I think they are beautiful. Maybe I'll just send one to them and wait on the others. ;)

I pray I didn't come across as criticizing. It was my own nosey curiosity. God reward you on your journey.

InHisLove726

[quote name='HisChild' post='1946364' date='Aug 11 2009, 04:38 PM']I pray I didn't come across as criticizing. It was my own nosey curiosity. God reward you on your journey.[/quote]

Nope, you didn't. :D That was good advice. Sometimes we can be too overzealous in our discernment (I'm guilty of that more times than I can count). God bless you. ;)

InHisLove726

After going back and reading some old posts on the phorum about discernment, I have decided I am going to wait to send out anymore letters. ;) I am very happy about the San Antonio Carmel and I want to see what becomes of it.

Edited by InHisLove726