An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Community?

kavalamyself

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' date='18 August 2009 - 07:09 AM' timestamp='1250604561' post='1951832']

So yes, I would discourage people who are starting their discernment to look at emerging charisms, until they have taken a good long look at existing communities. There [i]are[/i] communities that take women of higher ages. There [i]are[/i] communities that take women with physical difficulties. You might have to look beyond the borders, but that's not limited to people of "special needs". I know of two Dutch novices in France, four simply professed in Rome, two aspirants in England (not counting myself)... all under 35.

I do believe that there are people with a genuine call to the hermit life. I consider one of them a good friend. And I mean no disrespect to those who have difficulty finding a community that fits them. But then I read for example about how happy Sr. Michael Maria is, and I can't help but think some people are missing out. Which is something that upsets me, hence the passionate post. I'm truly sorry if I upset anyone, and I might eat my words later, but I do stand behind them.
[/quote]

I believe in my heart that I am called to Carmel. Whether that's as a Lay Carmelite, a Carmelite hermit, or within an existing community who's to say? I'm not actively looking with much zeal yet as I have debt and still in my initial prayer stages in discerning again. In the past, I've been the foolish bride, trying to mold my vocation to what *I* want, rather than listening to God and giving myself unreservedly (and for the most part, it was unconscious, but done nonetheless). I've always known I've been called to Carmel, but have been a bit too afraid to make that jump. I'm a very intelligent woman, but apparently in this arena, my (listening to God) learning curve has been steep. In the past year, I've finally accepted His saying to me to do HIS will instead of my own.

For me I don't feel a call to eremitic life because I can't find a community to fit me. I do feel called to a more eremitic existence than most cenobitic communities, including many Carmelite communities, allow. On paper many profess to do their work in their cell, pray in their cell to be alone with the Great Alone. In practice many say with the running of the monastery and the various times a day they meet in common, that semi-eremitic existence isn't as profound as one would think. With my previous postulant experiences, I can attest that sometimes it's difficult to 'hear' God amidst even the noise of other sisters (and I don't simply mean the noise of conversation or rattling the pots and the pans).

I have no issue with traveling to another country to enter Carmel. My thought is, with my advancing age (in my late 30s) by the time I'm debt free, I won't be accepted to most communities here. And I know I'm not unique. My ideas of foundation include wanting to bring about a community that isn't so rigid in age requirements here in the States to include those in the same boat as myself. And to be quite honest, I have read some superiors' words that with age comes 'too much independence' which is why they have those restrictions. Actually with age comes (one hopes) a deeper spiritual maturity that, for some, was not there when they were young... that stripping away of romantic notions of what religious life is about, etc. and only the desire to be set aside for our Lord alone remains.

When Annie/Sr Michael Maria left for Carmel in the UK, some posters commented about the US losing another vocation. Can we not be a sign of our times and change that? Actually, and it's in its very infancy, but I met up with a woman who, along with a couple others, are attempting to do just that. I don't know how many but a few were in Carmel, left because of some political unrest within the community and are trying to found a more eremitic Carmel, one that among other things is a little more lenient on age requirements. I don't know how that will fare, so I keep them in prayer.

I'm still waking so I may not have made sense. And now I'm off to work. Have a blessed day.

[quote name='HisChild' date='18 August 2009 - 11:19 AM' timestamp='1250605197' post='1951838']
Gemma,

I read this message, thank you for posting it. Where does it come from? Is it from Canon Law, the Catechism, etc?
[/quote]

The purpose of the canonist is to interpret canon law. I got the Seven Pillars from our canonist, and the groundwork is what other founders, including myself, have gone through. I passed it by my SD, who, like I said, was involved in the leadership portion of the FERC, and he had no objections to what I wrote.

Fr. Gambari's book also has things spelled out, but you have to read his work very slowly and allow it to digest, or it makes no sense whatsoever. My only objection to his book is that he doesn't give any concrete examples.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Gemma' date='18 August 2009 - 07:55 AM' timestamp='1250607315' post='1951853']

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

What is "HTH"? I've come up with a ton of acronyms that I'm sure do not match what you mean by yours.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='HisChild' date='18 August 2009 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1250608104' post='1951861']
What is "HTH"? I've come up with a ton of acronyms that I'm sure do not match what you mean by yours.
[/quote]

I think it means "Hope this helps." ;)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' date='18 August 2009 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1250604561' post='1951832']
I have a strong preference for new foundations that come out of old ones, cf. the Missionaries of Charity, the new Franciscan communities, the Ann Arbor Dominicans, and the founding sisters of the Adoratrices. Or, like the Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel's Hope now and the Brothers of St. John in the 70's, a year-long novitiate with an existing community. Starting entirely "on your own" is something for dire circumstances only.

Of course the Holy Spirit moves in people, and the Lord often equips the called rather than calling the equipped, but there is a reason why hermits have always been an important but small part of the religious life. For the overwhelming majority, formation under a novice master/mistress is what we need.

There are hundreds of communities in the Church, with hundreds of charisms, and much variation within communities (I can take my own future community as an example, which has sisters ranging from Charismatic to Chartres-walking).

So yes, I would discourage people who are starting their discernment to look at emerging charisms, until they have taken a good long look at existing communities. There [i]are[/i] communities that take women of higher ages. There [i]are[/i] communities that take women with physical difficulties. You might have to look beyond the borders, but that's not limited to people of "special needs". I know of two Dutch novices in France, four simply professed in Rome, two aspirants in England (not counting myself)... all under 35.

I do believe that there are people with a genuine call to the hermit life. I consider one of them a good friend. And I mean no disrespect to those who have difficulty finding a community that fits them. But then I read for example about how happy Sr. Michael Maria is, and I can't help but think some people are missing out. Which is something that upsets me, hence the passionate post. I'm truly sorry if I upset anyone, and I might eat my words later, but I do stand behind them.
[/quote]

Spiritual directors usually steer their directees away from emerging charisms, until they see exactly what's going on.

In our conditions for application for the Cloisterite hermits, I state specifically that a perusal of other orders is required before making application with us. This will help with their future training in getting familiar with other charisms. I also encourage other founders to suggest this to their vocational inquiries.

Charisms emerge because there is need of them. Because of the dearth of vocational opportunities for women over 30, emerging charisms are where they're going. This is the main reason for the OSMM.

The biggest obstacle to overcome with an emerging community is getting the first aspirant band trained. Those who train to be hermits usually make arrangements with another hermit to receive the particulars of hermit life. They can also spend some time in a cloister. We have to establish a novitiate, but as to whether or not that is before or after the initial aspirant band receive their hermit-specific formation is beyond me at this time.

The four basic tenets of Cloisterite life are: reparation with Mary and "in her place"; the cloisters and their vocations; emerging charisms and their vocations (which includes eremitical--each hermit is their own charism unless it's a charism like ours); and the work of Cloister Outreach.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='18 August 2009 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1250608234' post='1951863']
[/quote]

Yes, it does. Thanks, MM.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='18 August 2009 - 08:10 AM' timestamp='1250608234' post='1951863']
[/quote]

Ahhhh, that wasn't one I was thinking. Thank you.

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

I have not yet read through this entire thread properly...in fact, I just finished scanning it. However, I would like to add my one cent.

We as a Church continue to evolve, just as we as a people do. I find this conversation fascinating.

Pax!

TradMom

Thomist-in-Training

When St. Louis de Montfort realized that he needed to found the Daughters of Wisdom, he saw clearly that Sr. Marie Louise was to be the first. So he told her what kind of dress to make and what work to do, and for eight years or so she was the first Daughter of Wisdom all by herself while he was traveling France preaching. That's a fairly unusual way for a religious community to begin, it seems to me, but she had been living with a group of women in the poorhouse who practiced a horarium of prayer and works of charity before that, and St. Louis [i]knew [/i]by inspiration that she was to be the first sister. Isn't that interesting? I read that last month in a chapter book, "St Louis: Our Lady's Slave."

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='HisChild' date='18 August 2009 - 11:46 AM' timestamp='1250606776' post='1951848']
I believe in my heart that I am called to Carmel. Whether that's as a Lay Carmelite, a Carmelite hermit, or within an existing community who's to say? I'm not actively looking with much zeal yet as I have debt and still in my initial prayer stages in discerning again. In the past, I've been the foolish bride, trying to mold my vocation to what *I* want, rather than listening to God and giving myself unreservedly (and for the most part, it was unconscious, but done nonetheless). I've always known I've been called to Carmel, but have been a bit too afraid to make that jump. I'm a very intelligent woman, but apparently in this arena, my (listening to God) learning curve has been steep. In the past year, I've finally accepted His saying to me to do HIS will instead of my own.

For me I don't feel a call to eremitic life because I can't find a community to fit me. I do feel called to a more eremitic existence than most cenobitic communities, including many Carmelite communities, allow. On paper many profess to do their work in their cell, pray in their cell to be alone with the Great Alone. In practice many say with the running of the monastery and the various times a day they meet in common, that semi-eremitic existence isn't as profound as one would think. With my previous postulant experiences, I can attest that sometimes it's difficult to 'hear' God amidst even the noise of other sisters (and I don't simply mean the noise of conversation or rattling the pots and the pans).

I have no issue with traveling to another country to enter Carmel. My thought is, with my advancing age (in my late 30s) by the time I'm debt free, I won't be accepted to most communities here. And I know I'm not unique. My ideas of foundation include wanting to bring about a community that isn't so rigid in age requirements here in the States to include those in the same boat as myself. And to be quite honest, I have read some superiors' words that with age comes 'too much independence' which is why they have those restrictions. Actually with age comes (one hopes) a deeper spiritual maturity that, for some, was not there when they were young... that stripping away of romantic notions of what religious life is about, etc. and only the desire to be set aside for our Lord alone remains.

When Annie/Sr Michael Maria left for Carmel in the UK, some posters commented about the US losing another vocation. Can we not be a sign of our times and change that? Actually, and it's in its very infancy, but I met up with a woman who, along with a couple others, are attempting to do just that. I don't know how many but a few were in Carmel, left because of some political unrest within the community and are trying to found a more eremitic Carmel, one that among other things is a little more lenient on age requirements. I don't know how that will fare, so I keep them in prayer.

I'm still waking so I may not have made sense. And now I'm off to work. Have a blessed day.
[/quote]

Dear His Child:

Praised be Jesus Christ!

I just came upon your post and read it with great interest. Myself with two other sisters are in the process of forming a Laura type Carmelite Monastery That will be open not only to younger and healthy vocations, but also to the more mature and those with less than perfect health. We have petitioned the Bishop through the Vicar of Religious to become a fledgling community as an Association of the faithful, the first step i being recognized as a community. The Vicar in our original talks was very encouraging.

Two of us have been in Carmel but like you we were looking for a greater eremitical expression while retaining a healthy communal aspect. Right now we have in place a basic daily horarium which we are slowly implementing. Slowly because we must go out for daily Mass and this involves going to different parishes as we are in the bible belt with few priests and catholic churches. This often require a bit of travel throwing the schedule off.

The way we have set up our horarium is in such as way that it will be neither to the detriment of either the younger vocations or those who are more mature or with some limiting disability. We are following the primitive rule of Saint Albert and adopting the Teresian constitutions. However, there would be two hermit days a week and for the rest of the week we would say Matins, Lauds, Vespers, and Compline in community while reserving the little hours to be said in the hermitage. The two hours of formal prayer although done at the same time, may be done in choir or the hermitage or outside. Recreation instead of the traditional two hours a day would be only one hour in the evening prior to Compline.

Each sister would live in a separate hermitage which the rule allows for. A frugal breakfast would be taken in the hermitage example bread and a hot drink. Dinner would be in common in silence while listening to spiritual reading and evening supper or collation depending on the time of year,would again be in the hermitage. Work would ideally be in the hermitage or outside the hermitage if needed example the cook, or those doing gardening etc.. but always alone except in a great need. Sundays, would be a day when we come together after Mass for chapter in common. We intend to maintain Papal enclosure and wear the traditional habit of Carmel. We wish to be traditional but flexible. However in safeguarding the hermit life there would be no TV or radio etc... As from experience in Carmel i have found these things to slowly creep in and become detrimental to the silence, prayer and the solitude of the hermitage.

We wish to be a little Carmel judging none and accepting of all, our vocation is to be alone with the Alone in silent supplication and immolation for priests and the world at large; a world that has all but forgotten the pre-eminence of God in it's life. And so we are to be silent witnesses of God by our life, love and example. This is the prophetical aspect of the Carmelite vocation to witness the kingdom of God.

The spirit of Carmel is one of simplicity and great detachment in order to cleave to God alone. However, this cleaving to God is a life long practice and so each day we put one foot in front of the other in often dark faith as we each walk our particular paths to the holy mountain. Yes it all sounds good on paper but it is in reality a very intense and sometimes difficult journey. However for the true Carmelite soul it is pure beauty, for he or she desires with deep longing to be tranformed into her beloved. It is a life time of humble silient immolation hanging on the cross with her beloved offering herself like Him for the ransom of many.

In order for such a community to be successful, first we need to follow the promptings of the spirit with abandoned hearts knowing that if it is God's will we will give it our all and if not we should be able to abandon it into his arms with a silent fiat to God's will just as Our lady uttered her fiat.

What is essential for a vocation like this is First and foremost to have the Call to Carmel and all that it involves, the ability to be teachable no matter what age one is even if it may take a little longer for some, to be able to live alone as well as in community, To desire to live in true love and humility in community and a great respect and forebearance for each other. To be loving but truthful with each other in charity.

It may be that many times it will be easier for a more mature vocation to adapt to the solitude of the hermitage. While those with some health problems may offer to God a sweet offering of praise in bearing their infirmities with love and patience. I have said many times before, we all get old, sick and eventually die but rather than being an obstacle, for the true contemplative these are but stepping stones to union with God.

The young will find no less of a challenge as they with joyful hearts walk the path of Carmel each day striving for greater union with Him whom they love. A carmelite is known from within, all other outside things are accidentals, a means to obtain that union with God.

On a more practical level, We have already spoken with our Vicar of religious who is going to set up a meeting with Our Bishop. We have in place already a basic formation program decided on with the help of our Carmelite Fathers both O.C.D.'s and O. Carm's. Right now we are living in my little house, little by little converting it into a monastery, laughing in miniature and i do mean miniature ! Yes we are starting in Poverty but are learning formally skills which will help to support us. An OCD Priest who founded one of the Father's deserts is helping us. The first thing he told me was not to get discouraged as the diocese often tries by fire new endeavors like this; such was His experience years ago. Finally, God won out!

I am sure i left a lot of things out especially about the spirituality of Carmel but this letter is long enough. One last word. I have recieved multiple requests for a community such as this. Eight women so far and also a number of men desiring the same lifestyle of the nuns. I have contacted two men interested in starting the male branch as I have my hands full already with the women and all the red tape involved. Also I am aware of one or two who know of this who are trying to derail this community but if it is God's will it will somehow succeed. I pray they may have a change of heart.

I gently ask the prayers of each of you that God may bring this little endeavor to fulfillment if it be his will.

tenderly in Our Mother of Carmel,

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='20 August 2009 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1250792335' post='1953264']
Dear His Child:

Praised be Jesus Christ!

I just came upon your post and read it with great interest. Myself with two other sisters are in the process of forming a Laura type Carmelite Monastery That will be open not only to younger and healthy vocations, but also to the more mature and those with less than perfect health. We have petitioned the Bishop through the Vicar of Religious to become a fledgling community as an Association of the faithful, the first step i being recognized as a community. The Vicar in our original talks was very encouraging.

[/quote]

Hello Indwelling Trinity!

Praised be Jesus Christ!

Wow. It's funny how Providential our dear Lord is. I had typed out that post and almost closed out of Phatmass altogether without posting. That's so exciting about your petition. Once you're accepted as an Association of the Faithful, will you then be able to start accepting vocations?

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='20 August 2009 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1250792335' post='1953264']

Two of us have been in Carmel but like you we were looking for a greater eremitical expression while retaining a healthy communal aspect.

[/quote]

How many of you are there already?

Right now we have in place a basic daily horarium which we are slowly implementing. Slowly because we must go out for daily Mass and this involves going to different parishes as we are in the bible belt with few priests and catholic churches. This often require a bit of travel throwing the schedule off.

The way we have set up our horarium is in such as way that it will be neither to the detriment of either the younger vocations or those who are more mature or with some limiting disability. We are following the primitive rule of Saint Albert and adopting the Teresian constitutions. However, there would be two hermit days a week and for the rest of the week we would say Matins, Lauds, Vespers, and Compline in community while reserving the little hours to be said in the hermitage. The two hours of formal prayer although done at the same time, may be done in choir or the hermitage or outside. Recreation instead of the traditional two hours a day would be only one hour in the evening prior to Compline.

Each sister would live in a separate hermitage which the rule allows for. A frugal breakfast would be taken in the hermitage example bread and a hot drink. Dinner would be in common in silence while listening to spiritual reading and evening supper or collation depending on the time of year,would again be in the hermitage. Work would ideally be in the hermitage or outside the hermitage if needed example the cook, or those doing gardening etc.. but always alone except in a great need. Sundays, would be a day when we come together after Mass for chapter in common. We intend to maintain Papal enclosure and wear the traditional habit of Carmel. We wish to be traditional but flexible. However in safeguarding the hermit life there would be no TV or radio etc... As from experience in Carmel i have found these things to slowly creep in and become detrimental to the silence, prayer and the solitude of the hermitage.

[/quote]

I absolutely agree about the TV and radio. Even watching the news can be so distracting to silence. I've experienced watching TV once in the monastery. It seemed so loud and almost gaudy after the comparative silence.

We wish to be a little Carmel judging none and accepting of all, our vocation is to be alone with the Alone in silent supplication and immolation for priests and the world at large; a world that has all but forgotten the pre-eminence of God in it's life. And so we are to be silent witnesses of God by our life, love and example. This is the prophetical aspect of the Carmelite vocation to witness the kingdom of God.

The spirit of Carmel is one of simplicity and great detachment in order to cleave to God alone. However, this cleaving to God is a life long practice and so each day we put one foot in front of the other in often dark faith as we each walk our particular paths to the holy mountain. Yes it all sounds good on paper but it is in reality a very intense and sometimes difficult journey. However for the true Carmelite soul it is pure beauty, for he or she desires with deep longing to be tranformed into her beloved. It is a life time of humble silient immolation hanging on the cross with her beloved offering herself like Him for the ransom of many.

In order for such a community to be successful, first we need to follow the promptings of the spirit with abandoned hearts knowing that if it is God's will we will give it our all and if not we should be able to abandon it into his arms with a silent fiat to God's will just as Our lady uttered her fiat.

What is essential for a vocation like this is First and foremost to have the Call to Carmel and all that it involves, the ability to be teachable no matter what age one is even if it may take a little longer for some, to be able to live alone as well as in community, To desire to live in true love and humility in community and a great respect and forebearance for each other. To be loving but truthful with each other in charity.

It may be that many times it will be easier for a more mature vocation to adapt to the solitude of the hermitage. While those with some health problems may offer to God a sweet offering of praise in bearing their infirmities with love and patience. I have said many times before, we all get old, sick and eventually die but rather than being an obstacle, for the true contemplative these are but stepping stones to union with God.

The young will find no less of a challenge as they with joyful hearts walk the path of Carmel each day striving for greater union with Him whom they love. A carmelite is known from within, all other outside things are accidentals, a means to obtain that union with God.

On a more practical level, We have already spoken with our Vicar of religious who is going to set up a meeting with Our Bishop. We have in place already a basic formation program decided on with the help of our Carmelite Fathers both O.C.D.'s and O. Carm's. Right now we are living in my little house, little by little converting it into a monastery, laughing in miniature and i do mean miniature ! Yes we are starting in Poverty but are learning formally skills which will help to support us. An OCD Priest who founded one of the Father's deserts is helping us. The first thing he told me was not to get discouraged as the diocese often tries by fire new endeavors like this; such was His experience years ago. Finally, God won out!

I am sure i left a lot of things out especially about the spirituality of Carmel but this letter is long enough. One last word. I have recieved multiple requests for a community such as this. Eight women so far and also a number of men desiring the same lifestyle of the nuns. I have contacted two men interested in starting the male branch as I have my hands full already with the women and all the red tape involved. Also I am aware of one or two who know of this who are trying to derail this community but if it is God's will it will somehow succeed. I pray they may have a change of heart.

I gently ask the prayers of each of you that God may bring this little endeavor to fulfillment if it be his will.

tenderly in Our Mother of Carmel,

Indwelling Trinity
[/quote]

That would be a blessing if a male community were nearby. Then you wouldn't need to go out for Mass... or at least, you wouldn't need to go far. With all the inquirers and you living in your own home still, how are you able to allow for vocations, or is that not feasible at this time? Have you imagined how you will be financially self sustaining or have you not gotten that far in the planning process? I'm sorry to hear about the detractors and will keep them in prayer that their hearts be turned.

It certainly sounds like a wonderful endeavor that our Lord will bring to fruition, if it be His Holy Will. You've certainly piqued my interest! As an aside, I have come across several women who are either consecrated hermits or are starting the process of forming lauras. It's a sign of the times, isn't it? The more technologically savvy our country, our world becomes, the more they push God out of their hearts and lives, the more there are those who wish to withdraw into the desert and pray for the salvation of the world.

I watch with love and hope as your plans flourish. I will certainly pray for you and ask for your prayers as I discern our Lord's Will to draw me deeper into Himself.

In His Sacred Heart,

HisChild

Indwelling Trinity

Dear His Child:

...And so you are! I am happy you did not close out of Phatmass. I will try to answer your questions.

Technically we can recieve vocations now but these first few will be founding members. You can't start a community of one! Laughing... can you imagine going to the Bishop and saying her is our community...me, myself and I ? we are thhree right now but i do not know if one willpersevere as she wishes an already founded community which is fine. Not everyone is made to make a foundation. We could add one more right now but they must be able to share in the poverty that we do not yet have hermitages. These things must develop one step at a time.

We do have a TV in the house but never watch it. I had gotten things for the house when my mother was staying with me for a bit a while back. I need to send the things up to her but am waiting to see what our financial needs may be before spending the money for moving men to move what needs to go back to my mom who lives up north.

We have a nurse who wishes to come once her contract is over but she will need to go out to work for a bit to pay off all of her schooling. However seit seems she wishes to be an extern sister so she may find some inexpensive housing nearby and share in her free time community with us.

As for the men, they wish to be brothers for the most part so as to be able to live the same enclosure but we are praying about that. We have started learning work that can be profitable for the community while allowing us to work in the hermitage. We are doing distance learning but i do not wish to go into particulars on line as all of this is a very delicate topic.

What i have already written to you is for vocations to know that there may be options for Carmel and a Carmelite Laura for those who for whatever reason cannot be accepted to a traditional one monastic building Carmel. Also to let others know who wish to have more solitude than a traditional Carmel may offer while still retaining a healthy communal aspect but not as intense. Te stress would be more towards the eremetical aspects of Carmel. Neverhteless the virtue does not grow in a vacuum and so community helps not only in retaining a healthy Physical and psychological balance but also helps us to practice the virtues that we have culled in the silence of the hermitage.

Laughing... i do not worry to much about detractors this seems to be the status quo for newly founding communities. Not everyone will understand and that is OK. If it is God's work it will succeed despite those who are against it.

Yes this is a time for contemplatives. If you look back on the history of the church, whenever there have been great needs for change or renewal in the church you will seee many contemplative communities or persons pop up. I think that out of the contemplative life the church renews itself and from there you then see many apostolic works then begin to grow.

Even the resurgence of religious life now, you will notice a marked increase to more traditional communities. I believe part of it is backlash over the secularization of religious life but also it is a renewal of the Charisms of the holy spirit. There were many vocations who never ended up anywhere after the exodus of religious after the second Vatican Council. In addition to that young people called to religious life almost inherently desire to belong to a community that they feel is calling them to complete giving of oneself to Christ and His church. They want challenge and authenticity and in this era many want to belong to a tree with deeply rooted in spirituality and so God gives them great generosity of soul to belong only to Him. So in short yes i agree with you God is raising up many who wish to withdraw into silence and solitude to pray for a world who has forgotten to pray for itself and has lost the Presence of God.

I think slowly the church is experiencing a new spring after a long and protracted winter of the spirit. It is a wonderful thing to behold! I hope you do keep in touch His child. If you have any questions you would like to address privately please feel free to email me.

I ask God to bless you and lead you to your hearts desire and to give you every grace in responding to you calling to Carmel.

Tenderly in our Mother of Carmel,

Indwelling Trinity

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

:shock: Oh my. God is the great Comedian isn't He?

I feel foolish, or tired, or slow, or a combination of all three.

Because they are doing some upgrades on the Phatmass Phorum, we aren't able to access personal profiles. I know because I tried accessing yours when I read your first posts to me. I even started a topic over in open mic asking what was going on!

Something you wrote at first made me pause and I thought, 'wow, look another Carmelite laura!' I was so excited to see another group of souls on fire for the love of the Lord in this wonderful Carmelite charism. I just didn't connect the dots. But now that you've written this post... I'm stunned and quite sure you are one and the same sister I've been writing to.

I um... I think I'm that nurse you spoke of. Although, perhaps I'm not. I'm sure I'll feel silly if it's just coincidence. Although as a former Spiritual Director liked to say, There is no such thing as coincidence, only God-incidence.

I have been in contact with a sister who's starting a Carmelite laura. I asked to perhaps start out as an extern as I had debt to pay off first, but my heart is 100% for the cloister.

Could it be?

Oh how funny! I'm well. I've thought of little else since our last email.

I'm so excited to see you here and hope you find much support here for your laura. I for one am unbelievably ecstatic, as I'd been writing in my journal about just that very concept when I 'met' you on that other group. It was as if I prayed to our Lord that there be a more eremitic Carmelite community... and then you write!

God bless you.

HisChild