An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obama: Canadian Health Care Model Won't Work In U.s

Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor

[url="http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/08/10/obama-canadian-health-care-model-wont-work-in-u-s/"]http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/...nt-work-in-u-s/[/url]

GUADALAJRA, Mexico (CNN) — President Barack Obama said Monday that Canada's government-run health care model won't work in the United States.

"We've got to develop a uniquely American approach to this problem," Obama said at the final news conference of his North American summit with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Mexican President Felipe Calderon.

Opponents of health-care legislation in the U.S. House and Senate say it will lead to a single-payer system like the government-run program in Canada, with some warning the Canadian system means restrictions on treatments and long delays.

Obama noted the U.S. system is based on employers providing health insurance for most Americans. Throwing that out would be too radical an overhaul, he said.

"The Canadian model won't work in the United States," he said. However, he said he expects opponents of health-care legislation to continue to make what he called the misleading comparison between proposed U.S. legislation and Canada's system.

"I suspect that you Canadians are going to continue to get dragged into the debate," he said.

eagle_eye222001

Still hasn't figured out he's going to pay for it.

edit:

I'm sorry. The previous sentence should have read....

[i]Still hasn't figured out he's going to have us pay for it.[/i]

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/hans+zimmer+%26+james+newton+howard/track/aggressive+expansion+(album+version)"]Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - Aggressive Expansion (Album Version)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Edited by eagle_eye222001

Nihil Obstat

Americans tend to think that the Canadian system is a lot worse than it actually is. True, there are wait times, but it's not some across-the-board monster. A large majority of people will never have a significant problem with the system itself.
Of course some will, but that's a fact of life no matter what you do.
We do pay a lot more taxes than you do though. That, I do concede.

Socialized healthcare is something even a large portion of Canadian small-c conservatives are on board with. Maybe it's just because we're afraid of changing it, but it does honestly work out pretty well in general, and I say that hesitatingly because I'm about as right wing as they come in my age bracket.

At least poor people here can get on a waiting list. In the US, I was flat turned down for needed treatment because I didn't have insurance or the money to pay out of pocket.

Fidei Defensor

Funny. Where are all wild and outrageous comments from the peanut gallery, now? Nothing constructive to say to this?

That's what I was thinking, Fidei. Probably speachless or something... *gasp* I guess you're not going to be like us commie Canucks after all!! :shock:

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1946473' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:28 PM']That's what I was thinking, Fidei. Probably speachless or something... *gasp* I guess you're not going to be like us commie Canucks after all!! :shock:[/quote]
But... but... I love Canada :sadder:

They're just mad that they can't demonize the Canadian system anymore (hence the ridiculous claims about death panels... :rolleyes:)

Ash Wednesday

Well, he's right. (wow, I just agreed with Obama.) Universal health care has its advantages and disadvantages -- places like Canada and the UK are less populated and deal with an overall smaller population, so that makes that sort of thing possible, despite the flaws. But I can't see such a large country like the U.S. being able to pull that off.

In my experience, my health care was probably best when I had private care under a U.S. employer. I also have the universal health care here in the UK...I find it isn't as good, but for the most part, it's worked despite some annoying things. That has been my second best scenario I'd say.

The worst scenario for me was being self-employed in the U.S. The self-employed get completely screwed under the American system as it is.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

I find it silly to compare the US and Canada in most senses because of the vastly different economies of scale.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1946493' date='Aug 11 2009, 06:57 PM']I find it silly to compare the US and Canada in most senses because of the vastly different economies of scale.[/quote]

Exactly.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1946492' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:57 PM']Well, he's right. (wow, I just agreed with Obama.) Universal health care has its advantages and disadvantages -- places like Canada and the UK are less populated and deal with an overall smaller population, so that makes that sort of thing possible, despite the flaws. But I can't see such a large country like the U.S. being able to pull that off.

In my experience, my health care was probably best when I had private care under a U.S. employer. I also have the universal health care here in the UK...I find it isn't as good, but for the most part, it's worked despite some annoying things. That has been my second best scenario I'd say.

The worst scenario for me was being self-employed in the U.S. The self-employed get completely screwed under the American system as it is.[/quote]

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1946493' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:57 PM']I find it silly to compare the US and Canada in most senses because of the vastly different economies of scale.[/quote]
I agree with you both.

The unreasonable claim that's being made, however, and the reason why Canada was being demonized, is that people in the U.S. will somehow lose their private insurance. That simply isn't true. There will be a public option for those without private insurance, but everyone else gets to keep their private insurance.

What kills me is the jumps in logic. "Well, if there is a public option, private insurance will be killed off and it'll become a single-payer system." Why? Because you say so? There are specific provisions in the bill to prevent that and support private businesses so they can continue to afford private insurance.

This bill is to support the poor or disadvantaged, not to take away any coverage from anyone.

KnightofChrist

Which Obama are we to believe? The Obama that is a proponent of a single payer plan like Canada's or this most resent Obama?

“I happen to be a proponent of a single payer universal health care program. I see no reason why the United States of America, the wealthiest country in the history of the world, spending 14 percent of its Gross National Product on health care cannot provide basic health insurance to everybody. And that’s what Jim is talking about when he says everybody in, nobody out. A single payer health care plan, a universal health care plan. And that’s what I’d like to see. But as all of you know, we may not get there immediately. Because first we have to take back the White House, we have to take back the Senate, and we have to take back the House.”

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1946504' date='Aug 11 2009, 08:05 PM']The unreasonable claim that's being made, however, and the reason why Canada was being demonized, is that people in the U.S. will somehow lose their private insurance. That simply isn't true. There will be a public option for those without private insurance, but everyone else gets to keep their private insurance.[/quote]

The reason is the government will put many of these private companies out of business. It is nearly impossible to compete with the Government. But yes in a way Americans can keep their current plan but with strings attached. HR3200, page 16, Line 11-16, states that a "Grandfathered" private insurance company can not take in new clients after the bill becomes law. So no the bill would not make private insurance 'illegal' in only slowly chokes the industry by denying it new clients and destroying competition in the market place by establishing a government run monopoly.

Are you all saying we are suppose to trust Obama? Please, this man said no person should be burdened with a child they didn't want. So kill him/her. And the American people still elected him. Our mistake. Then he admitted his girls would not be under the plan. Why not? Not good enough? Would you trust him? Apparently. I don't.

Town Hall meetings? That is a joke!They just want people to come and tell them how good they are. Then they are angry because people are speaking out. We are not lame. We like the open mic.

I am glad if you like the health care in Canada. I don't want ObamaCare. I would rather have no insurance than to have insurance to pay for more abortions. When are we going to stand up for the unborn and aged? Are we so lame as to deny Christ in these people?

[quote name='Angel*Star' post='1946854' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:03 AM']Are you all saying we are suppose to trust Obama? Please, this man said no person should be burdened with a child they didn't want. So kill him/her. And the American people still elected him. Our mistake. Then he admitted his girls would not be under the plan. Why not? Not good enough? Would you trust him? Apparently. I don't.

Town Hall meetings? That is a joke!They just want people to come and tell them how good they are. Then they are angry because people are speaking out. We are not lame. We like the open mic.

I am glad if you like the health care in Canada. I don't want ObamaCare. I would rather have no insurance than to have insurance to pay for more abortions. When are we going to stand up for the unborn and aged? Are we so lame as to deny Christ in these people?[/quote]

Where doe the bill say abortions wll be paid for?