An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question About Carmelite Orders For Men

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

Hi all. I wanted to see if any of you knew of any strictly contemplative Carmelite orders for men that I could refer to my friend on Facebook. He is looking at different orders and not finding what he is called to. He got turned away from the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming, and the active orders don't offer him the silence and solitude he is looking for.

He asked me to post if you knew of any orders in the Western US, Midwestern US, or Canada (he lives in Canada) that he could look into. I already referred him to these orders:

Lake Elmo, MN
Christoval, TX

If anyone knows any orders in Canada, that would be the best bet. I only know of the orders for women. :blush:

Thanks in advance!

InHisLove726

I'm having the greatest trouble trying to find a religious order to refer to this young man. I would be greatly obliged if anyone knew of anything and could help me. He's desperate to start contacting orders, but there are so few around these days that are strictly contemplative for men, much less, those in Canada. :(

Does anyone know of anything in the Canadian Province or very close to British Columbia? I know there are some Carmelite nuns in BC but I cannot find any hermits in the area or around it.

God bless!

InHisLove726

[quote name='KevinSymonds' post='1948010' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:15 PM']I'm interested to know why Fr. Daniel Mary shot him down in Wyoming. I know him and his father Gerry.[/quote]

I didn't ask him. I think it was a mutual understanding, though. It wasn't ugly. :)

InHisLove726

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1948058' date='Aug 13 2009, 01:21 PM']Perhaps he could ask the Wyoming Carmelites to recommend him another monastery?[/quote]

I suggested this to him a while back. I'm no longer discussing the matter with him because I personally believe that he needs to consider other orders, and not just because the orders are closer to where he lives. He holds the same fear that I did a while back about being closer to your parents. That's the only basis he is using to consider orders, sadly.

Please keep him in your prayers that he will be open to the other orders. I hate to see him passing them up strictly because of their location. :(

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1948072' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:47 AM']Please keep him in your prayers that he will be open to the other orders. I hate to see him passing them up strictly because of their location. :([/quote]

Well, if he ever does open up his mind there are the Benedictine monks in Mission, B.C. Some of the monks do teach in the Seminary of Christ the King ( the seminary is attached to the monastery.) Some monks, I believe, do not teach and are just contemplative. I have heard really positive things about Father Abbot. There are also the Trappist monks in Oka, Quebec. There are the Petits Freres De La Croix (sorry, I don't know if the young man knows French) are were founded in the 1980's. From their website (which isn't much,) they do have wear a habit. [url="http://catho-charlevoix.org/croix/accueil.htm"]http://catho-charlevoix.org/croix/accueil.htm[/url]
There are some Carmelite Friars in either Quebec or Ontario (Sorry, can't remember which) that run a retreat centre, but sometimes I feel they don't come off as the most in line with the Church.
Sorry I can't come up with much more right now. There are some other comtemplative communities in Canada, particularly Benedicintes and Trappist. I think there is a Cistercian monastery in Quebec, as well. I am rather partial to the Monks from the Abbey in B.C. becuase the priests who come out of their seminary tend to be good priests. Sorry if I rambled on too much, but I do understand there is a lack of male comtemplatives in Canada (one could almost say that about the nuns too)
God Bless

InHisLove726

[quote name='truthfinder' post='1948563' date='Aug 14 2009, 01:19 AM']Well, if he ever does open up his mind there are the Benedictine monks in Mission, B.C. Some of the monks do teach in the Seminary of Christ the King ( the seminary is attached to the monastery.) Some monks, I believe, do not teach and are just contemplative. I have heard really positive things about Father Abbot. There are also the Trappist monks in Oka, Quebec. There are the Petits Freres De La Croix (sorry, I don't know if the young man knows French) are were founded in the 1980's. From their website (which isn't much,) they do have wear a habit. [url="http://catho-charlevoix.org/croix/accueil.htm"]http://catho-charlevoix.org/croix/accueil.htm[/url]
There are some Carmelite Friars in either Quebec or Ontario (Sorry, can't remember which) that run a retreat centre, but sometimes I feel they don't come off as the most in line with the Church.
Sorry I can't come up with much more right now. There are some other comtemplative communities in Canada, particularly Benedicintes and Trappist. I think there is a Cistercian monastery in Quebec, as well. I am rather partial to the Monks from the Abbey in B.C. becuase the priests who come out of their seminary tend to be good priests. Sorry if I rambled on too much, but I do understand there is a lack of male comtemplatives in Canada (one could almost say that about the nuns too)
God Bless[/quote]

He told me that he feels most called to the Carmelites. I don't think he's done a whole lot of discernment, though. He's only visited two orders from what he told me--the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming and the Friars in DC. I think he needs to spread his discernment around to the other orders of Carmelite Hermits that I suggested to him but won't because he thinks his parents won't come and visit him. :(

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1948874' date='Aug 14 2009, 03:17 PM']He told me that he feels most called to the Carmelites. I don't think he's done a whole lot of discernment, though. He's only visited two orders from what he told me--the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming and the Friars in DC. I think he needs to spread his discernment around to the other orders of Carmelite Hermits that I suggested to him but won't because he thinks his parents won't come and visit him. :([/quote]

Did you tell him the thing about putting your hand to the plow and "If any love father or mother more than Me he is not worthy of Me?"

God willing he'll get it though?

Anyhow I read a book about this monastery written in the 50's but it sounds like they're a little less monastic now. They are in that area though. [url="http://www.holyhillshrine.com/Community/Friars.aspx"]http://www.holyhillshrine.com/Community/Friars.aspx[/url]

• 2 months later...

InHisLove,
Peace be with you.

I am also in the process of investigating the more traditional male Carmelite orders (other than Wyoming), and am beginning to inquire with vocation directors of various houses throughout the United States. If I find any information worth posting, I will be sure to detail it here for your friend.

Edited by four_waters