An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lessons From One Year In The Cloister

VeniteAdoremus

VeniteAdoremus

[url="http://subtuum.blogspot.com/2009/08/lessons-from-one-year-in-cloister.html"]http://subtuum.blogspot.com/2009/08/lesson...n-cloister.html[/url]

It reminded me strongly of this quote by St. John of the Cross, which I have on a sticky note in my face all the time:

"Thus you should understand that those who are in the monastery are craftsmen placed there by God to mortify you by working and chiseling at you. Some will chisel with words, telling you what you would rather not hear; others by deed, doing against you what you would rather not endure; others by their temperament, being in their person and in their actions a bother and annoyance to you; and others by their thoughts, neither esteeming nor feeling love for you.

You ought to suffer these mortifications and annoyances with inner patience, being silent for love of God and understanding that you did not enter the religious life for any other reason than for others to work you in this way, and so you become worthy of heaven.

If this was not your reason for entering the religious state, you should not have done so, but should have remained in the world to seek your comfort, honor, reputation, and ease. "

the lords sheep

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1948658' date='Aug 14 2009, 01:33 PM'][url="http://subtuum.blogspot.com/2009/08/lessons-from-one-year-in-cloister.html"]http://subtuum.blogspot.com/2009/08/lesson...n-cloister.html[/url]

It reminded me strongly of this quote by St. John of the Cross, which I have on a sticky note in my face all the time:

"Thus you should understand that those who are in the monastery are craftsmen placed there by God to mortify you by working and chiseling at you. Some will chisel with words, telling you what you would rather not hear; others by deed, doing against you what you would rather not endure; others by their temperament, being in their person and in their actions a bother and annoyance to you; and others by their thoughts, neither esteeming nor feeling love for you.

You ought to suffer these mortifications and annoyances with inner patience, being silent for love of God and understanding that you did not enter the religious life for any other reason than for others to work you in this way, and so you become worthy of heaven.

If this was not your reason for entering the religious state, you should not have done so, but should have remained in the world to seek your comfort, honor, reputation, and ease. "[/quote]

That quote is like... WHOA.

Im taking that with me to the convent.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1948658' date='Aug 14 2009, 08:33 AM'][url="http://subtuum.blogspot.com/2009/08/lessons-from-one-year-in-cloister.html"]http://subtuum.blogspot.com/2009/08/lesson...n-cloister.html[/url]

If this was not your reason for entering the religious state, you should not have done so, but should have remained in the world to seek your comfort, honor, reputation, and ease. "[/quote]

I love that quote! :yes: Early in my novitiate our chaplain preached a homily on that very quote -- it was seriously "Whoooa..."

Article = :twothumbsup:

littlesister

The blog gives one excellent commentary for everyone from discerners to veterans. Widely may it spread!

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1948724' date='Aug 14 2009, 06:19 PM']That quote is like... WHOA.

Im taking that with me to the convent.[/quote]
[quote name='laetitia crucis' post='1948733' date='Aug 14 2009, 06:31 PM']I love that quote! :yes: Early in my novitiate our chaplain preached a homily on that very quote -- it was seriously "Whoooa..."

Article = :twothumbsup:[/quote]

Yes. That quote... my, I just hope I can keep it in mind :) But the problem will probably be that I'll remember it at all times except when it matters :)

Thank you so much for that blog post. It actually touches on a few things I've been thinking about recently. Talk about providential.

As for the quote? LOL Very apropos. I remember, when I was a postulant, waking up and thinking, 'Anyone who thought religious life was all about perfect sisters and flowery life need only spend a week in the cloister to disavow them of any poetic notion.' Don't get me wrong. I absolutely loved my time there. But each sister still is a human, including myself.

Thanks again. I'm still smiling...

InHisLove726

[quote name='HisChild' post='1950288' date='Aug 16 2009, 01:28 AM']Thank you so much for that blog post. It actually touches on a few things I've been thinking about recently. Talk about providential.

As for the quote? LOL Very apropos. I remember, when I was a postulant, waking up and thinking, 'Anyone who thought religious life was all about perfect sisters and flowery life need only spend a week in the cloister to disavow them of any poetic notion.' Don't get me wrong. I absolutely loved my time there. But each sister still is a human, including myself.

Thanks again. I'm still smiling...[/quote]

I can only imagine what St. Therese felt when she had to endure the hardships of the Sisters who did not like that the Martin family were "taking over" the cloister, so to speak. Watching the movie about her life (Lindsay Younce version), even though it's a movie, reminded me how nuns are not saints. They are sinners striving to become saints, and can be very difficult to live with at times. But if the bonds of spiritual sisterhood are strong, they will continue to live as a family, despite their misgivings. ;)

I loved that movie. Wasn't the film quality a little less than optimal? I remember sitting in the theater wondering what sort of cameras they used. Odd thing to think now, but I recall being distracted. :unsure:

Yes, I agree with you... it does seem that some people in our lives, including those in religious life, are placed there for our sanctity. :pray:

And even though our first thought might be indignation over what we may perceive as their lack of holiness, a 'I can't believe they did/said that! How could they be trying to life as a holy woman/man!?' we do not know their inner journey and must always be charitable because each of us are fighting a big spiritual battle.

Took me a long time to realize that. I still fight that thought as I deal with my patients sometimes. (And my patience, heh.)

God bless you.

InHisLove726

[quote name='HisChild' post='1950310' date='Aug 16 2009, 02:09 AM']I loved that movie. Wasn't the film quality a little less than optimal? I remember sitting in the theater wondering what sort of cameras they used. Odd thing to think now, but I recall being distracted. :unsure:[/quote]

Luke Productions was probably just building their camera collection at that time and didn't have the money to buy better cameras. ;) I noticed several things wrong with the movie (a microphone wire sticking out of a costume, production crews in the background, etc), but I love it for it's raw nature. I used to think it was overly cheesy (still do sometimes), but it was through this movie that I learned about the Carmelites, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. :D

[quote]Yes, I agree with you... it does seem that some people in our lives, including those in religious life, are placed there for our sanctity. :pray:

And even though our first thought might be indignation over what we may perceive as their lack of holiness, a 'I can't believe they did/said that! How could they be trying to life as a holy woman/man!?' we do not know their inner journey and must always be charitable because each of us are fighting a big spiritual battle.

Took me a long time to realize that. I still fight that thought as I deal with my patients sometimes. (And my patience, heh.)[/quote]

I struggle with this often. In fact, recently, while in the grocery store, I saw this woman who had treated my mother very nasty about a year ago. Now, my mother didn't notice her, and I could have easily said something, but my conscience spoke up and said, "You don't know that she acts like that anymore. Give everyone another chance, even if they do not deserve it because we are all sinners." I paid attention and I'm so glad that I did. Both my mom and I would have been very judgmental had I not. Everyone should have the chance to change. I am always trying to mature and learn more about my past mistakes, and who knows? God may have forgiven her for what she did. :)

[quote]God bless you.[/quote]

And you.

Edited by InHisLove726

Thomist-in-Training

Whoa. Thanks. A wise young woman when I asked her if she had any advice for me said, "Well, you know, in the cloister there's always someone who will be the coal that rubs against you to turn you into a sparkling diamond." I don't know if that's a bit of a mixed metaphor but it got the idea across!

---
That's really a good article!

*edit: read the article

Edited by Thomist-in-Training