An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Human Nature Basically Good, Bad Or Neutral?

Chestertonian

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Chestertonian

So how about it? Are people born good, bad or neutral?

Edited by Chestertonian

As a Protestant, I believed that man was totally depraved, evil to the core, could do no good, that even his will was tainted. His sins were merely "covered over" but remained like a snow-covered dunghill. As a Catholic, I believe that man is good, wounded by Original Sin, but is only a little lower than the angels. God who made us "very good" (Genesis 1:31) remakes us in the image of Jesus Christ and joins us to the very life of God. Christ changes us at the core of our being, enabling us to participate in His own Divine Life.

goldenchild17

[quote name='Chestertonian' post='1948789' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:52 AM']So how about it? Are people born good, bad or neutral?[/quote]

Tough question for me. I think one of my theology manuals addresses it but can't look it up right now. I think that God created us in His likeness and found it good. I think that by baptism we become essentially good, but I think based on your question, we may be BORN essentially with a depraved and bad human nature, thanks to Adam's sin.

FYI, born bad with a depraved nature is Protestant. We are born wounded by Original Sin, but essentially good. God said everything He created is good. The "depraved" POV originated only in the 16th century. Aren't 'cha glad to be Catholic?! Yes siree! Catholicism is optimistic. Protestantism is pessimistic. Peace, y'all.

Thomist-in-Training

Wait. Human nature is basically good. Right now though, the human condition--each child born--is blighted by original sin (and still by concupiscence after baptism, though not so badly). So you're asking 2 different questions it seems to me. But all natures are good, trees, rocks, flies, and angels... I think (a real Thomist may correct me) even the demons had good natures but their characters, as it were, have been perverted.

[quote name='Hassan' date='17 August 2009 - 09:56 PM' timestamp='1250557015' post='1951529']
What is "human nature"?
[/quote]

If they say why...why...tell em that it's human nature, oh why, why...

:D

[quote]
Wait. Human nature is basically good. Right now though, the human condition--each child born--is blighted by original sin (and still by concupiscence after baptism, though not so badly). [/quote]

May I ask a question? I don't want to go too off topic, but I have always been confused about something.

I understand that Adam and Eve sinned, and that they were punished. But why would we have the same curse of "sin" on us when we never disobeyed God in the garden? Of course we are responsible for our own actions, but why would we be held responsible for Adam and Eve's sin?

Does that make sense? I'll elaborate if it doesn't :unsure:

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Selah' date='18 August 2009 - 07:30 AM' timestamp='1250595023' post='1951809']
If they say why...why...tell em that it's human nature, oh why, why...

:D

May I ask a question? I don't want to go too off topic, but I have always been confused about something.

I understand that Adam and Eve sinned, and that they were punished. But why would we have the same curse of "sin" on us when we never disobeyed God in the garden? Of course we are responsible for our own actions, but why would we be held responsible for Adam and Eve's sin?

Does that make sense? I'll elaborate if it doesn't :unsure:
[/quote]

That makes sense and it's certainly relevant. I am not sure what the answer is and I think I have wondered about it but it goes in circles when I try to figure it out. I think though that for [i]me[/i], I am less confused if I always remember "O happy fault of Adam, which won for us so great a Redeemer!" That is from the Exsultet sung at the Easter Vigil. If you think of "Adam + Eve = Original Sin on us too = Unfair", then you [i]will [/i]get confused. But if you remember "[b]Original S[/b][b]in[/b], Just How it Is Now for the Human Condition--But Can be defeated by Baptism and Grace, Thanks to the [b]Passion of Our Lord Incarnate[/b]" it makes more sense.

That is, This may not help since I don't know why our fate is tied so closely to Adam and Eve any more than you do. But it helps to never think of Original Sin without the Passion + Redemption for us all. Remember, at the same time as Adam and Eve were punished, a Redeemer was promised : "I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and [b]her seed[/b]: she [Vulgate; he in some transl] shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel."

While I've been typing this, someone has probably typed a clearer, more theological answer, which won't offend me at all.

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='18 August 2009 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1250641586' post='1952284']
That makes sense and it's certainly relevant. I am not sure what the answer is and I think I have wondered about it but it goes in circles when I try to figure it out. I think though that for [i]me[/i], I am less confused if I always remember "O happy fault of Adam, which won for us so great a Redeemer!" That is from the Exsultet sung at the Easter Vigil. If you think of "Adam + Eve = Original Sin on us too = Unfair", then you [i]will [/i]get confused. But if you remember "[b]Original S[/b][b]in[/b], Just How it Is Now for the Human Condition--But Can be defeated by Baptism and Grace, Thanks to the [b]Passion of Our Lord Incarnate[/b]" it makes more sense.

That is, This may not help since I don't know why our fate is tied so closely to Adam and Eve any more than you do. But it helps to never think of Original Sin without the Passion + Redemption for us all. Remember, at the same time as Adam and Eve were punished, a Redeemer was promised : "I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and [b]her seed[/b]: she [Vulgate; he in some transl] shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel."

While I've been typing this, someone has probably typed a clearer, more theological answer, which won't offend me at all.
[/quote]

I genuinely thought this was a thoughtful and even beautiful response.

However for me it seems that ultimately this is ultimately saying that the doctrine is justified because God eventually corrected something which never made sense in the first place.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Hassan' date='18 August 2009 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1250646705' post='1952329']
I genuinely thought this was a thoughtful and even beautiful response.

However for me it seems that ultimately this is ultimately saying that the doctrine is justified because God eventually corrected something which never made sense in the first place.
[/quote]

Whoa whoa whoa. I appreciate your appreciation of my response, Hassan. But what I said was that it didn't make sense to me, [Firstname R. Lastname]. That doesn't mean there isn't a real answer that makes a lot of sense. There are a lot of things that I didn't understand once that I do now. Likewise, there are other things that will never make sense to me but are still true (calculus, the function of the aorist in Greek, etc).