An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pp Update

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

Hi everyone :topsy:

Just thought I'd update you all as to where I am, if I can distract you all for about half a second from cooing over VA's upcoming entrance ;) (btw, I reckon she and I could write a book about being two sisters discerning at more or less the same time, and what this does to the family dynamic. Sure-fire bestseller!)

Earlier in the Summer I did a three-week live-in at [url="http://www.stceciliasabbey.org.uk/"]St. Cecilia's Abbey[/url] on the Isle of Wight in the UK. I kept this top sekret from all but two or three people, but really, folks here could have figured it out had they not been distracted by the omni-irritating Dominicans and Carmelites :P

Since leaving the Abbey I have decided to stop actively discerning a vocation to the religious life.

This has nothing to do with St. Cecilia's, which is quite frankly the most fantabulous (OSB) monastery (well all the really good monasteries are OSB, we know this - it's just that the OPs and OCDs and what not are in denial <_< ) around. I love each and every one of the 30-odd sisters there with a fierce passion only surpassed - maybe - by my devotion to the Congregation of Solesmes ;) and the cause of the Servant of God, Dom Prosper Guéranger :yes:

If anyone's looking for good, solid, really cloistered Benedictine life, then run, do not walk, to their website, and send off an email to the Novice Mistress. She (an American) is an [i]excellent[/i] formator. The current novitiate is a caring, hilarious, nutty hoot of ladies, who know how to really love their life. Community is filled with a range of ladies who, no matter the differences in personality or whatever, take a great deal of (properly detached) interest in the nov and visitors. The life is tough, sacrificial, grace-filled and beautiful.

The Office, though more complicated than the Liturgy of the Hours, is mind-blowing (and I'm not just talking about the surreality of feast day Vigils here either!). DO NOT let the fact that it's all in Latin put you off: you get one-on-one tuition with one of the Community, once a week the nov has a Latin class together, and the assistant Novice Mistress (the Zelatrix if you're up on the terminology) makes sure to give everyone enough attention and preparation, and the sister sitting next to you in choir is always ready with a helpful finger should you get lost (I consider myself more au fait than most with the Office, and more than once I made mistakes and needed my neighbour to help me out!).

St. C's is doing well with vocations! That should be an encouragement to anyone looking for this kind of life. There are a range of ages, skills, nationalities (American, French, Indian, Irish, the list goes on!) and characters. The devotion to Mother Abbess is wonderful to see (she is Christ in the monastery, as per the Rule). It's a place where, for me at least, the Rule of St. Benedict sprang off the pages of the books and became truly alive. There are people who entered in their teens, those who came in their 40s, and everyone inbetween.

So even though I wanted it, but have discerned it's not what God wants of me, I'm determined to up their profile here on Phatmass ;) I could talk for a [i]week[/i] (at least) about St. C's :)) and am very happy to answer any questions folks might have, so long as it's prudent to do so.

And now, back to the studio with more fawning over those entering next month :blink: :cool:

Edited by puellapaschalis

St. Cecilia's has such a beautiful website and the way you describe it makes it sound like stepping into In This House of Brede. Cool.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1949731' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:25 PM']:grouphug:

PP: how was the food? :)

And do they have cool customs?

And did you finish Dom G's autobiography yet? :)[/quote]

How could I forget the food :doh: It's excellent, and there's plenty of it. Especially on feast days when there are treats out ;)

There are loads of cool customs, but I'm kind of hesitant to just throw them online: a bit like this famed "Dominican code", it loses a bit of its meaning and special-ness that way. It's great to go in and meet them "face to face" as it were.

Dad still hasn't sent Dom G's autobiography over yet!! I think I shall have to poke him about this.

It sounds like an awesome monastery!

And you're right... the OP's and the OCD's are in denial. Everyone knows Franciscan monasteries are the best! ;) Franciscans and OSBs are tight though... I mean, after all, they own the Portiuncula. And St. Clare stayed with Benedictines for a while... ^_^

InHisLove726

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1950999' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:56 AM']It sounds like an awesome monastery!

And you're right... the OP's and the OCD's are in denial. Everyone knows Franciscan monasteries are the best! ;) Franciscans and OSBs are tight though... I mean, after all, they own the Portiuncula. And St. Clare stayed with Benedictines for a while... ^_^[/quote]

Heeeeyyyyyyy!!!! Don't knock the Carmelites! :P

puellapaschalis

Actually I didn't mean it in a funny way. I realise that I started it off with some remarks in the original post, but really, there's a lot more in that post than just me trying to get OSBs the coverage they deserve. Hardly anyone has paid attention to this thread, and most of the things covered have simply been ignored. Instead all the attention seems to go to pretty pictures, an overly romantic view of religious life, and Carmelites and Dominicans. The world is more than white and brown. I wonder if the average VS'er just doesn't like reading a text that consists of paragraphs rather than witty one-liners interspersed with pictures of smiling novices.

If this sounds catty, then that's probably due to the reader reading something in. This kind of one-sidedness on VS has happened too many times before to reasonably chalk it up to someone being sensitive about it.

InHisLove726

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1951016' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:30 AM']Actually I didn't mean it in a funny way. I realise that I started it off with some remarks in the original post, but really, there's a lot more in that post than just me trying to get OSBs the coverage they deserve. Hardly anyone has paid attention to this thread, and most of the things covered have simply been ignored. Instead all the attention seems to go to pretty pictures, an overly romantic view of religious life, and Carmelites and Dominicans. The world is more than white and brown. I wonder if the average VS'er just doesn't like reading a text that consists of paragraphs rather than witty one-liners interspersed with pictures of smiling novices.

If this sounds catty, then that's probably due to the reader reading something in. This kind of one-sidedness on VS has happened too many times before to reasonably chalk it up to someone being sensitive about it.[/quote]

I'm not joining an order because of the colors of the habit (and I doubt anyone else is either). I'm joining an order because I am attracted to the life of the Sisters and I feel it's the place where I can best serve God in whatever capacity He is asking of me. If it were ANY order, I'd feel absolutely blessed because I am not worthy to receive the call. It's a great privilege. :)

Edited by InHisLove726

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1951025' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:42 AM']I'm not joining an order because of the colors of the habit (and I doubt anyone else is either). I'm joining an order because I am attracted to the life of the Sisters and I feel it's the place where I can best serve God in whatever capacity He is asking of me. If it were ANY order, I'd feel absolutely blessed because I am not worthy to receive the call. It's a great privilege. :)[/quote]

...okay, I think that was quite entirely not PP's point.

It's true that there is a rather big emphasis on entrances/professions etc. on Vocation Station. It would be rather frustrating to put the time and effort into writing a long post with tons of well-thought-out information...

[i]and personal news coming from a very private person[/i]...

which is then more or less ignored by the VS community in favour of smiling pictures :)

There's nothing wrong with smiling pictures! I like them. But seeing that we consider ourselves a group of discerners first and nun fangirls second (don't we?), I'd find it a missed chance if we don't jump on the chance to support someone else in her discernment. Or lack thereof, as the case might be. (I know we do in general, just that sometimes we miss a chance.)

This is (again) not meant personally at anyone. Just an observation. And/or hint. ;)

InHisLove726

I've not posted the investment/entrance threads except for the one about the 2 Phatmassers who entered the Nashville Dominicans. The only ones I've posted about are my own experiences with communities I've written or applied to. There are times when I've posted threads and didn't have a single response, so I know what you mean. It can be quite frustrating at times, especially when you are asking for help.

Maybe VS should have one continual thread in the stickies to post about entrances/investments/professions. Hugheyforlife used to maintain one, but the attempts to have it updated have been ignored, so I think that's why so many posts have been made about these topics.

...Just my two cents...

Ok, this is my very last post for a while. God bless.

Archaeology cat
:grouphug: And PP, I agree - Benedictines rock. ;) My only experience with them, really, is the fact that I live close to a parish run by Benedictines from Ampleforth Abbey, but they're pretty darn cool.

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Puella, dear!
Just to have had the grace in your life to visit that beautiful community and enter deeply into a dialogue with Christ over the myriad choices that are available to you surely must have been deep and powerful blessing! I have no doubt your life will never be the same! Thank you for sharing such personal details with honesty. May God reward your faithfulness; for witnessing the process of deep discernment and for your honesty. I am sure some of this has been difficult (to say the least!).
God bless you, and thank you again for your honest update. I look forward to more of your reflections being unveiled as time passes and they come to you!!! Hopefully, some of our phatmassers will take advantage of your experience and ask questions!!!
I, for one, would like to know about that gorgeous library!!!
Pax (always!!!!)
TradMom

puellapaschalis

For public notice: VA is a star. She takes time out of her revision/exam/entranceprep schedule to talk to me about things when I get frustrated.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1951031' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:11 PM']:grouphug: And PP, I agree - Benedictines rock. ;) My only experience with them, really, is the fact that I live close to a parish run by Benedictines from Ampleforth Abbey, but they're pretty darn cool.[/quote]

Thanks, AC :) I don't know anyone from Ampleforth (I grew up near Buckfast) but I'll take your word and Abbot Hume's example as proof that they're stellar.

[quote name='TradMom' post='1951032' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:14 PM']+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Puella, dear!
Just to have had the grace in your life to visit that beautiful community and enter deeply into a dialogue with Christ over the myriad choices that are available to you surely must have been deep and powerful blessing! I have no doubt your life will never be the same! Thank you for sharing such personal details with honesty. May God reward your faithfulness; for witnessing the process of deep discernment and for your honesty. I am sure some of this has been difficult (to say the least!).
God bless you, and thank you again for your honest update. I look forward to more of your reflections being unveiled as time passes and they come to you!!! Hopefully, some of our phatmassers will take advantage of your experience and ask questions!!!
I, for one, would like to know about that gorgeous library!!!
Pax (always!!!!)
TradMom[/quote]

Thanks TradMom, for your lovely post.
About the library...oh dear. Once the nov were trooping down to None after rec and passed by the professed library (the nov library is in the nov, logically enough :) ) and I stopped and looked at it. My guardian angel stopped behind me and said, "Yes, I understand. I completely understand."

Because it's the professed library, it's for, well, Community*. And not the nov (although you can see in through windows or peek round a doorway if you really wanted to). And for bibliophiles like my angel and I...this was [i]really[/i] hard!

*PP: Mother Zelatrix, when do we get to go into the professed library?
MZ: When you're professed.
PP: When you're a junior then?
MZ: Nope ;)
PP: Rats.
[it's not quite as simple as all that, but mainly so]

Joking aside, I regret nothing of the time I spent at St. C's (or Colwich, for that matter), nor the large number of years I have spent exploring the possibility of a religious vocation. Perhaps it's a cliché, but it's a true one: one learns an enormous amount about oneself, but also about religious life as a whole (and maybe one or two forms in particular). This learning helps the individual in his life in Christ, whether that's religious or not. I know that my experiences I've gained from these years will stand me in good stead as a wife and mother.

Edited by puellapaschalis