An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do Nuns Wear Veils?

uruviel

Sister Rose Therese pretty much covered it. Over the years, colors began to have more significance than they did earlier when religious life was first being organized. There are some accounts of St. Hildegard urging her nuns to dress in pretty colors...but the general rule regarding black indicating "dead to the world" is correct - though that is a stark statement. (Yes, widows used black veils to indicate mourning, which is different than a nun using a black veil to indicate her removal from the world.) The RSCJ's (Religious of the Sacred Heart, founded in France) dressed as widows during the French Revolution (for obvious reasons)and their dress stuck as a habit (until VatII) - they were even referred to as "Madame Smith" (as opposed to "Sister Mary Smith". There are many resources available on the dress of women religious and the use of the veil. If anybody is really interested in this topic (as opposed to just a cursory interest) please contact me and I will send you some links.

Not all sisters wear the habit today like they did before Vatican II, but some still wear the full habit. But I think that has to do with Vatican II.

[quote name='Macies' date='26 August 2009 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1251307868' post='1956346']
Sister Rose Therese pretty much covered it. Over the years, colors began to have more significance than they did earlier when religious life was first being organized. There are some accounts of St. Hildegard urging her nuns to dress in pretty colors...but the general rule regarding black indicating "dead to the world" is correct - though that is a stark statement. (Yes, widows used black veils to indicate mourning, which is different than a nun using a black veil to indicate her removal from the world.) The RSCJ's (Religious of the Sacred Heart, founded in France) dressed as widows during the French Revolution (for obvious reasons)and their dress stuck as a habit (until VatII) - they were even referred to as "Madame Smith" (as opposed to "Sister Mary Smith". There are many resources available on the dress of women religious and the use of the veil. If anybody is really interested in this topic (as opposed to just a cursory interest) please contact me and I will send you some links.
[/quote]

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Sister,
You make some great points. I have long been interested in the RSCJ's and was aware that they hid during the Revolution by pretending to be widows living in common (if one looks at their original habit, it is hard to imagine THAT was the common dress of the day!). If I may add one remark which someone else touched upon...a woman covering her hair for their husband came from the Jewish tradition. Orthodox women still practice that today as do other religions for the same reason. As for Vatican II, religious orders were asked to return to their original charism/roots and many communities felt that when they were founded, the foundress (or founder) designed the "habit" merely as a simple, common dress. Over the years it became a sign of sacred dress/sanctity, etc. There was once a time when all women did cover their heads (Judeo/Christian - speaking) and since that had ceased by Vatican II, the communities let go of that, in keeping with the original intent of their foundress/founder and returned to common dress (lay). The "suggestions" made by Vatican II are still under discussion and I am sure this current Apostolic Visitation will touch on the subject.
Pax,
TradMom

[quote name='elizabeth09' date='01 September 2009 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1251848296' post='1959605']
TradMom, thanks for touch on my subject. I do not mind that.
[/quote]

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

What a dear! You made my very harried day better!!!

Pax,
TradMom

In the morning I thought about this topic-title. I think wearing veil is USEFUL. The weather was stormy yesterday evening and this morning it was really windy and rainy. My ears soon became cool and my umbrella doesn't really protected me... The veil is warm in the cold days and protect your hair.

Of course, it is beautiful as well... :)

AccountDeleted

I think the practical uses of the veil are wonderful. Living in a community where there are no mirrors, one doesn't have to worry about what the hair looks like! There are no "bad hair days" either! :rolleyes:

[quote name='nunsense' date='05 September 2009 - 07:59 AM' timestamp='1252159155' post='1961279']
I think the practical uses of the veil are wonderful. Living in a community where there are no mirrors, one doesn't have to worry about what the hair looks like! There are no "bad hair days" either! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

There can be bad veil days, though. When I was a postulant I had trouble keeping my hair tucked in so it often looked like I had a tumor on the back of my head. :mellow: not good. especially for an extern, lol.

Then when you get the habit there are the days when the white headband around your forehead won't stop going crooked. Or when all of yours are kind of dirty (those things can get sweaty. It can get nasty :covereyes:) and you haven't had time to wash them. Well... I guess most orders don't have a headband like that. But I imagine the ones with any kind of white guimpe get dirty quick. :shock:

Edited by zunshynn