An Old School Catholic Message Board

Class On Homosexuality

cmotherofpirl

Here's what I think is interesting about this article.

It's not the particulars of the course: gay culture is eminently studyable, as this discussion has shown, and there is no reason to believe anyone has ever 'become gay' by taking a college course. Some people think homosexuality is genetic, others think that it's caused by your being brought up by dominant mothers/fathers and having certain series of childhood experiences. These theories don't strike me as very interesting, except to note that neither camp of 'scientists' can make anything but an absurdity of the idea that you are somehow transformed into a homosexual person by listening to a college professor talk about gay culture.

What is interesting, is that there is a whole movement of seemingly respectable people who are willing to use mendacious rhetoric to prevent gay culture from being studied. Of course, hate-filled homophobia is not exactly a new phenomenon, but this example seems strikingly obvious.*

It's even more obvious, because while AFA claims to be fighting for a scripture based morality, they seem to only want to censor one thing from university curricula. As they put it: "AFA does not support 'censorship.' Censorship, by definition is government imposed." They're only "demanding that the governor, our legislators, and the university's president and board of regents step in to cancel this class."

If they really were concerned about public morality, rather than just about hating homosexuals, wouldn't they want other non-Christian issues censored as well? These people don't, and that is why it looks to me like a the faith being claimed is just a cover-up for bigotry and hatred that runs directly contrary to what Christianity is.

If I ever found myself agreeing with this group, I would want to take a long hard look at my faith.

* Of course, the AFA doesn't hate homosexuals. As they themselves put it:

Does AFA Hate Homosexuals?

Absolutely Not! The same Holy Bible that calls us to reject sin, calls us to love our neighbor. It is that love that motivates us to expose the misrepresentation of the radical homosexual agenda and stop its spread though our culture. AFA has sponsored several events reaching out to homosexuals and letting them know there is love and healing at the Cross of Christ.

So even if this love of Christ and fellow man isn't sufficient to stop the AFA from using lies to further its agenda, it's clearly present if they say so.

Edited by _bc