An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Discernment With The Carmelite Nuns In Buffalo, Ny

InHisLove726

I've managed to overcome my fear of talking to nuns on the phone. I spoke, at length, with a nun in Zephyr, Ontario this week, and I was the most calm, cool and collected person that I've ever been. I still remember how nervous I was talking to Sr. Immaculata of the Carmelites DCJ at first, and that I was jittery talking to Sr. Corinne of San Antonio's Carmel, but I really think I've worked past it enough to make the first move and call the Discalced Carmelite Nuns of Buffalo, NY this weekend. It was one of the ones that I wrote when I was sending letters to the 5 monasteries I was interested in, and one of two that I am continuing to write (the other is Denmark, WI, but it's only out of interest, not because I want to discern there right now). I sent the nuns a letter about 2 weeks ago as a follow up to my previous correspondence, but I have not heard anything from them. Experience has taught me that talking on the phone is not only easier and cheaper, but better because it gives both parties the chance to ask questions without a long wait. :)

So, please pray for me because I am planning on calling them tomorrow (Saturday) during their recreation time. Thanks! :saint:

Edited by InHisLove726

I looked at the book that the nuns sent and the evening recreation is around 7pm. Please pray for me! I'm so excited to talk to them! :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='13 September 2009 - 05:57 AM' timestamp='1252789037' post='1965397']
I looked at the book that the nuns sent and the evening recreation is around 7pm. Please pray for me! I'm so excited to talk to them! :)
[/quote]

I'll be going to Mass at 7pm -- I'll definitely be praying for you!

:sign: :saint: :D

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='12 September 2009 - 05:16 PM' timestamp='1252790175' post='1965414']
I'll be going to Mass at 7pm -- I'll definitely be praying for you!

:sign: :saint: :D
[/quote]

Thank you, laetitia. I called the nuns but got the answering machine. I left them a detailed message and asked them to call me back on my cell phone. I can't wait. :) I wasn't even nervous. Now I'm trying to write some questions down so I have something to ask when she calls me back, LOL.

Gah! I missed Mother Miriam's call! :ohno: She tried to leave me a different phone number to call her back then the two she gave me earlier, but my voicemail cut her off because she paused. I had to call back the original number and leave a message again. :annoyed: I hope to talk to her soon! She sounds lovely and very nice.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='14 September 2009 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1252953070' post='1966331']
Glad she sounds nice and hope you get to speak with her!
[/quote]

Actually, I just got off the phone with her! :)) She is so loving and a wonderful lady. My feelings about them are so strong and were strong already, and I pray that if God wants me here, that I am able to enter. Mother asked me when I would like to enter, and since I have debt, I gave a time frame of 6 months to a year since it is small. She was very open to that idea, and I believe that God is forming me for a life in Carmel. I didn't even feel like I was talking to a stranger. I felt like she was a friend I had known my entire life because of our conversation. Of course, I was very polite and respectful, but I honestly had no jitters about this at all like I did with my former community. Everything seems to be falling into place. She asked me what I would like to do after our phone conversation and I told her that I desire to keep in touch with her by phone since letters take a while to write and respond to, and she agreed. So, please pray for me to find a job because I honestly believe, with all my heart, that this is the place God is calling me. Mother reiterated several times that she believed my enthusiastic desire for Carmel and my willingness to learn the life meant that I was called to contemplative life in Carmel. It's true that my whole being just craves that life lived for Him alone. It was endearing to hear someone agree with me. :)) Any reservations I had before have melted away. This couldn't have come on a more fit day! The Exaltation of the Cross. :)) If Jesus is asking me to pick up my cross and follow Him here, I will do so with a joyful heart, ready to embrace the life of a Carmelite.

Of course, I don't want to do anything apart from the will of God, so I pray that my own desires do not distract me from His call should it be different than I expect. Let me never do anything apart from your will, O Lord. May everything I say and do this day and all the days of my life give You the glory You fully deserve. All praise and honor to You, Almighty God!

Edited by InHisLove726

Have you visited these nuns yet? Have you spent time in the monastery? Do they do live-ins? Have you ever spent a week in a monastery, any monastery? I think you are moving way too fast. Please do not feel that I am in any way critisizing you or judging you. To even think of entering a place you have not visited/spent time with is a really bad idea. You need to cut the emotion from this. Certainly this prioress said all the right things to you, and I am sure you wanted to hear that they would accept you sight unseen. Regardless of where you are called, you need to get your financial situation cleaned up. You need to find a job so that you can visit places. Trust me when I tell you, the reality may be far different from phone calls and emails.
Is there a vocation director for the diocese in which you live? I know that most places have a vocation office...they dont represent a specific order, but help people discern. They may help you.
I really encourage you to slow down a bit. One doesnt run into a vocation, it takes time and maturity to develop. Allow yourself the time to develop your self and your talents.
Alicemary

+JMJT+

Thank you for your insight, alicemary, however I disagree. I can't explain it in words, but I am confident that I am doing the right thing. It will be 6 months to a year [b]after[/b] I get a job before I can even think about entering because of debt. I see no reason to put off discernment until then just because I cannot make a personal visit at this time. This particular monastery does not allow live-ins, so I have to rely on phone calls and letters to discern. It may seem a little crazy to some (perhaps more than a little), but I am trying to follow my heart in this. Last time, yes, I did move too fast, but I discovered that before I entered, not after. I am taking things one step at a time, making sure I have the advice of my spiritual director, my mother (who is critical of what I do in my spiritual life, so she brings me down from the clouds), and making trips to Mass and the Blessed Sacrament. I don't wish to do anything apart from the will of God. :)

Edited by InHisLove726

Ok, why in the world did someone give me a -1? It seems people are acting rather haphazardly in their ratings...

Edited by InHisLove726

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='14 September 2009 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1252967095' post='1966493']
Ok, why in the world did someone give me a -1? It seems people are acting rather haphazardly in their ratings...
[/quote]

I've seen those ratings and I neither understand them nor how to rate someone. I remember a 4 on I think the right (I'm doing this from my phone so I don't have access right now). Anyone informed about ratings?

[quote name='HisChild' date='14 September 2009 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1252969526' post='1966532']
I've seen those ratings and I neither understand them nor how to rate someone. I remember a 4 on I think the right (I'm doing this from my phone so I don't have access right now). Anyone informed about ratings?
[/quote]

From what I understand, they were meant for ratings on Church issues to see who was better suited to receive a church militant flag, but since they are open to everyone and not just the moderators, it's become a popularity contest.

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='14 September 2009 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1252956308' post='1966368']
Actually, I just got off the phone with her! :)) She is so loving and a wonderful lady. My feelings about them are so strong and were strong already, and I pray that if God wants me here, that I am able to enter. Mother asked me when I would like to enter, and since I have debt, I gave a time frame of 6 months to a year since it is small. She was very open to that idea, and I believe that God is forming me for a life in Carmel. I didn't even feel like I was talking to a stranger. I felt like she was a friend I had known my entire life because of our conversation. Of course, I was very polite and respectful, but I honestly had no jitters about this at all like I did with my former community. Everything seems to be falling into place. She asked me what I would like to do after our phone conversation and I told her that I desire to keep in touch with her by phone since letters take a while to write and respond to, and she agreed. So, please pray for me to find a job because I honestly believe, with all my heart, that this is the place God is calling me. Mother reiterated several times that she believed my enthusiastic desire for Carmel and my willingness to learn the life meant that I was called to contemplative life in Carmel. It's true that my whole being just craves that life lived for Him alone. It was endearing to hear someone agree with me. :)) Any reservations I had before have melted away. This couldn't have come on a more fit day! The Exaltation of the Cross. :)) If Jesus is asking me to pick up my cross and follow Him here, I will do so with a joyful heart, ready to embrace the life of a Carmelite.

Of course, I don't want to do anything apart from the will of God, so I pray that my own desires do not distract me from His call should it be different than I expect. Let me never do anything apart from your will, O Lord. May everything I say and do this day and all the days of my life give You the glory You fully deserve. All praise and honor to You, Almighty God!
[/quote]

Prayers for you :)

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='14 September 2009 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1252970071' post='1966537']
From what I understand, they were meant for ratings on Church issues to see who was better suited to receive a church militant flag, but since they are open to everyone and not just the moderators, it's become a popularity contest.
[/quote]

Unfortunately. :mellow:

Cool to hear this vocational call sounds promising. Will pray for you.

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='14 September 2009 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1252970071' post='1966537']
[/quote]

So sorry, I know this is :offtopic: but I was looking at my own status thing at the bottom of my name and it says something like < 0 ( 0 ) 4 >

What does the 4 mean? Was I bad and didn't know it? How come no one told me I was bad? :club: