An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hermits

cmaD2006

On 9/18/2009 at 8:19 PM, Orans said:

... the Church recognizes the eremitic or anchoritic life by which the Christian faithful devote their life to the praise of God and the salvation of the world through a stricter withdrawal from the world, the silence of solitude, and assiduous prayer and penance. CCC #603 .1

This is what the Code of Canon Law defines as eremitic life.

And this is my understanding/experience of it,

- a life fully dedicated to God: this is a call, a Vocation to leave everything behind and dedicate oneself to God

- stricter separation from the world: stricter than Religious life, which is what the context is about and also the words at the beginning of the sentence.

- the silence of solitude: this is an expression originated from the Carthusians and is very rich in meaning. It's not just about living alone but about a silence which allows for the deep listening to the Spirit, which speaks in silence -as John of the Cross has it.

- assiduous prayer: there is no way of living a healthy live of solitude and penance without a passion for prayer.

- penance: not just simple life but a life embracing self sacrifice.

You need a passion for God and a passion for prayer to live the eremitic life. Everything else is secondary, including the recognition or not by your bishop, a habit or not, etc. etc.

With these in your heart you have only to find your corner and start living it out. Totally for God and with God. You need to live the life to know what it is about. And it is not about setting a schedule and sticking to it for the rest of your days. It is much more about the humble surrender of yourself and your life to God in the here and now, and the faithful docility to the Spirit who will lead you to where you would not choose to go on your own ... it is about growing into the vocation, always challenging, always new.

As for how do you support yourself, the very first thing is that you start simplifying your life, but truly !! In our comsumeristic society we hardly know how to live simple. Look at people who are really poor and you will see. I think the hermit is called to show that simplicity in action, and also the joy of living with no other asset than God. Once you start walking in this direction it seems that God is bound to do God's part of this partnership. It works! wink.gif

There is a very good Guidebook for the Vocation to the Eremitic Life written a few years ago by
Sister Marlene Weisenbeck, FSPA, when Vicar for Religious of the Diocese of La Crosse, Wisconsin. This book was available for years in the diocesan website -I've heard it is in the process of up-date now. When I started the steps into the eremitic vocation the Vicar for Religious of my archdiocese at the time gave me this book to help with the discernment. If you are interested you can contact me and will try to help you get hold of it.

Peace!

Orans, Appreciative for your informative post on the eremitical term definitions, several hermits and lauras throughout the country, as the Guidebook by Sr. Marlene Weisenbeck, FSPA, which I just purchased the revised version.  

Most especially my heartfelt resonated on the phrase that a hermit vocation requires "a passion for God and a passion for prayer," everything else is secondary -- Such as a rule of life, recognition or not by a bishop, wearing a habit, etc., etc.  

Once again, don't know if the eremitical vocation is for me in that I enjoy people as playing board games, going to the movies, concerts, eating together, though cherish my "alonetime" zealously and keep a sabbath day weekly as much as possible.

May God keep you and bless you, Grateful