An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sometimes I Wish Marriage Discernment

Aloysius

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Aloysius' date='20 September 2009 - 01:42 AM' timestamp='1253425322' post='1969535']
sacramental graces help your love ;)

and the institution helps your love as well, I would say.

It's not a bad thing to say that the institution can hold it up, the word "institution" often gets a bad rap but the institution of marriage is important, and I suspect in all marriages there are times when it is a strong pillar of support, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that in most marriages there have been points at which it was the principal or only thing holding it together, for a short period of time of course. you might chalk up all your reasoning for always working things out to "love", but your love is materialized in something--the institution of marriage. that's the concrete manifestation of your love, and it's intricately connected to the reason she can never make you so mad that you'd storm off into the sunset and never look back.
[/quote]

Yeah!

GK Chesterton "One flesh--even when one might wish the other at the bottom of the sea!"

Fanfiction writer: "It's not the love that keeps the marriage going; it's the marriage that keeps the love going." An excellent use of chiasmus, I think.