An Old School Catholic Message Board

Aspartame Toxicity

InHisLove726

I replied to an old topic on this earlier, but didn't realize it was in the "Debate Table" forum. ;)

I believe I have too much aspartame in my system and it's causing problems. <_< I drink a lot of diet cokes and on Sunday, I realized that there might be something wrong. I've looked at everything--from an allergic reaction to tea, to Vitamin D deficiency, to B12 deficiency--but then something else cropped up last night--a non-itchy rash by my collarbone. I looked up "aspartame side effects" and I have several of them:

-decreased tears
-severe intolerance of noise
-dizziness
-memory loss (and I'm only 26)
-parathesia (this started on Sunday as nervous "pins and needles" on my back and down my arms)
-irritability
-palpitations (this started off and on today; but was mild)

...to name a few. Needless to say, I am cutting out the sodas completely. I honestly thought my "pins and needles" thing was going away, but I noticed it got worse immediately after drinking a diet soda. It makes sense.

I hope the reactions don't last too long after I come off it. I'll have to talk to my doctor about aspartame allergies.

For everyone else, here is the list of reactions. You may want to consider seriously limiting consumption, especially if you have several of the symptoms like I do:

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

This is a possibility. Since your case seems to be continuing and not getting better, I would make an appointment to see your doctor and speak with him/her about it.

takebacktonight

Aspartame has to be the most studied food additive out there. The vast majority of credible studies have found no evidence of aspartame causing ill effects with normal consumption. I'm lazy, so I will point you here.. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy"]aspartame controversy[/url] Maybe later I'll log on to the university account and find some specific stuff.

Allergic reactions are immune-mediated responses, so if you were allergic to the tea, aspartame would not be playing a role.

Soda itself is not the healthiest drink though. It can inhibit calcium uptake and aggrevate reflux...caffeine could theoretically cause palpitations and increase cravings for sweet foods.

[quote name='StColette' date='22 September 2009 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1253664898' post='1971236']
This is a possibility. Since your case seems to be continuing and not getting better, I would make an appointment to see your doctor and speak with him/her about it.
[/quote]

Well, since I just found out tonight that it might be the aspartame, I'm going to wait a few days and see what happens when I stop drinking it daily. :) If it still persists, I will definitely talk to the doctor.

[quote name='takebacktonight' date='22 September 2009 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1253664920' post='1971238']
Aspartame has to be the most studied food additive out there. The vast majority of credible studies have found no evidence of aspartame causing ill effects with normal consumption. I'm lazy, so I will point you here.. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy"]aspartame controversy[/url] Maybe later I'll log on to the university account and find some specific stuff.

Allergic reactions are immune-mediated responses, so if you were allergic to the tea, aspartame would not be playing a role.

Soda itself is not the healthiest drink though. It can inhibit calcium uptake and aggrevate reflux...caffeine could theoretically cause palpitations and increase cravings for sweet foods.
[/quote]

My philosophy is:

Better safe than sorry.

If there is no conclusive evidence either way, I would rather do without. It is possible to live without soda. ;)

[quote name='takebacktonight' date='22 September 2009 - 06:15 PM' timestamp='1253664920' post='1971238']

[/quote]

No offence, but I don't take anything from Wikipedia as credible. It even says, "the neutrality of this article is disputed..."

Here is actually a really good article (but kinda long) on Aspartame, what it's made of, how it works, side effects, etc. [url="http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm"]aspartame dangers[/url]

There seems to be an awful lot of evidence on both ends of this issue; that artificial sweeteners are either harmful or safe.

yeah I don't know either way whether its safe or not, but I hate the stuff. I drink a lot of soda, but never diet and any time that I do accidentally the nasty stuff is very noticeable

takebacktonight

[quote name='Christie_M' date='22 September 2009 - 09:03 PM' timestamp='1253667782' post='1971257']
No offence, but I don't take anything from Wikipedia as credible. It even says, "the neutrality of this article is disputed..."

Here is actually a really good article (but kinda long) on Aspartame, what it's made of, how it works, side effects, etc. [url="http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm"]aspartame dangers[/url]

There seems to be an awful lot of evidence on both ends of this issue; that artificial sweeteners are either harmful or safe.
[/quote]

Yeah, wikipedia isn't always trustworthy...so I always check out the sources. When you click on the 'dispute' link you will see that the majority of current concern is surrounding the political aspects of aspartame. Both wiki articles on aspartame and aspartame controversy cite more research from peer-reviewed, scientific journals than your link. The research is also more current. I believe the most current of the sources that they bothered to date was 1994.

The only way to know you are reading good science is to read peer-reviewed research or articles with very strong peer-reviewed sources.

I was told aspartame turns your blood to sugar. It really isn't that great of stuff. It wouldn't kill you to get addicted to another sort of beverage :mellow:

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='22 September 2009 - 09:53 PM' timestamp='1253678002' post='1971322']
I was told aspartame turns your blood to sugar. It really isn't that great of stuff. It wouldn't kill you to get addicted to another sort of beverage :mellow:
[/quote]

:yes: H2O is awesome.

[quote name='zunshynn' date='22 September 2009 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1253678231' post='1971324']
:yes: H2O is awesome.
[/quote]

I started drinking a lot of it to get rid of all the aspartame. :)

I also drank a mug of decaf tea with a little honey and Splenda (Bigelow's Orange and Spice--YUM!)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='22 September 2009 - 11:45 PM' timestamp='1253677547' post='1971319']
Even if aspartame itself is generally safe, you could have developed an allergy to it.
[/quote]

:yes:

I think I did.

I just thought back to when I was living with the Sisters for 3 days. The Superior gave me a cola and I asked if she had any diet. She said they didn't because it was bad for you. I didn't really think much of it. I should have looked into it sooner. :)

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='22 September 2009 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1253681606' post='1971342']
:yes:

I think I did.

I just thought back to when I was living with the Sisters for 3 days. The Superior gave me a cola and I asked if she had any diet. She said they didn't because it was bad for you. I didn't really think much of it. I should have looked into it sooner. :)
[/quote]
Adult onset allergies are weird. Just a couple months ago my dad spontaneously developed an allergy to shellfish. No reason for it. It just happened.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='22 September 2009 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1253678002' post='1971322']
I was told aspartame turns your blood to sugar.
[/quote]
:no:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='23 September 2009 - 01:23 AM' timestamp='1253683410' post='1971358']
Adult onset allergies are weird. Just a couple months ago my dad spontaneously developed an allergy to shellfish. No reason for it. It just happened.
[/quote]

My uncle developed an allergy to peanuts. He used to eat them in handfuls every day and peanut butter right out of the jar. Now, when he eats them, he gets hives.

My aunt developed an allergy to cashews after she had a bout of poison ivy. She ate cashews a lot, and never had a problem before the poison ivy. A doctor told her that cashews are in the same family as poison ivy, oak, and sumac. Whenever she eats them, her tongue swells up and she gets a very itchy rash.

:mellow: