An Old School Catholic Message Board

International Vocations And Immigration Rules

jumpfrog

Immigration rules, in any country, can change at any time- and more than once. In some countries, a resident alien who enters (or who is in an international community, in active ministry in a country where she is not a citizen) can have permission to work only in houses of her congregation. Now that religious communities have much lower membership, and may be carrying out their ministries in institutions their congregations do not own, it can be tricky.

I'm sure the situation in the UK is uncertain with Brexit, so I would not imagine UK congregations would be open to foreign candidates at the moment - at least until they can see what the new rules may be. 

Even in cases where one is not a religious, regulations suddenly can change. I knew someone who was a teacher in Italy - she wasn't an Italian citizen, but intended to remain there. I can't recall the exact circumstances, but suddenly, and unexpectedly, there was some change where citizens had to be given preference.

I'll admit that I can't blame communities for not wanting to take on all sorts of complicated applications (and related expenses), the more when there is no way of knowing if a candidate will remain. Missionary Orders always had many members working in countries where they were not citizens, but there was a time when they may have been in territories of their home country. I've noticed that some communities have established houses in other countries, but that those entering are from that country.

Sorry that I know nothing that is helpful,but many rules about immigration or being a resident alien have changed constantly in recent years.