An Old School Catholic Message Board

Profession Rings

Gemma

A discerner contacted me saying she felt attraction to orders who wear profession rings, like a wedding band for a secular.

The ones that readily came to mind were the Dominicans, Nuns of Perpetual Adoration, and the Poor Clare Colettines.

Any others?

Blessings,
Gemma

InHisLove726

Sisters of Life, Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal, and Carmelite Sisters of the Aged and Infirm are the 3 that I can think of off the top of my head. :)

InHisLove726

Here are some others I found by Google-ing "profession ring, Sisters."

[url="http://www.franciscansisterspeoria.org/final%20profession.htm"]Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis[/url]

[url="http://www.ssfpa.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=198"]Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration[/url]

[url="http://www.altonfranciscans.org/formationpages/feastday2009.htm"]Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George[/url]

[url="http://www.dljc.org/english/index.cfm?load=page&page=255"]Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ[/url]

[url="http://www.cksisters.org/vocation.htm"]School Sisters of Christ the King[/url]

Sisters of St. Thomas Aquinas - [mod]these sisters are not in communion with the universal Church - Lil Red[/mod] (I didn't even know about these Sisters!)

[url="http://www.benedictinesisters.org/vocation/questions.php"]Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration[/url]

Edited by Lil Red
disabled link

I think the Sisters of St. Thomas you mention are "iffy." They don't take people who attend ordinary form Masses.

[quote name='Gemma' date='01 October 2009 - 01:03 PM' timestamp='1254413013' post='1975584']
A discerner contacted me saying she felt attraction to orders who wear profession rings, like a wedding band for a secular.

The ones that readily came to mind were the Dominicans, Nuns of Perpetual Adoration, and the Poor Clare Colettines.

Any others?

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

I believe all Benedictines wear a ring...but "all" is maybe a stretch. I know for sure that Petersham, Regina Laudis and Our Lady of The Rock all wear a profession ring.

Servants of Mary, Mother of Sorrows

so-called "servita". :)

They wear a golden ring with a golden corpus on is (looks like a cross). (Woooonderfuuul) :rolleyes: :))

Edited by Noemi

InHisLove726

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='01 October 2009 - 12:44 PM' timestamp='1254415477' post='1975609']
I think the Sisters of St. Thomas you mention are "iffy." They don't take people who attend ordinary form Masses.
[/quote]

Oops! I didn't even see that. Sorry! :blush:

Indwelling Trinity

The Hermits of Saint Mary of Carmel wear a profession ring on which is written in Hebrew, " I am my Beloved's and my Beloved is mine".

They gave me one to on my profession day. Everyday i kiss it and pray that I may never be separated from my Beloved. :turban:

Tenderly

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='01 October 2009 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1254432077' post='1975817']
The Hermits of Saint Mary of Carmel wear a profession ring on which is written in Hebrew, " I am my Beloved's and my Beloved is mine".

[/quote]

:love: It reminds me of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CUGTIWCFyo

[quote name='tinytherese' date='01 October 2009 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1254435263' post='1975857']
:love: It reminds me of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CUGTIWCFyo
[/quote]

The sisters I was a postulant with (Discipulas de Jesus de San Juan Bautista) had a ring, they were given their ring at final profession.

srmarymichael

[quote name='Gemma' date='01 October 2009 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1254413013' post='1975584']

Any others?

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

To my knowledge, most Religious Communities (especially in the CMSWR) wear a ring after final vows, usually on their left hand signifying marriage. In our Community, and in the IHM's in Wichita, we wear ours on our right hand because we were founded in Europe where the wedding ring is worn on the right hand.

Isn't it awesome?!

smm

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='01 October 2009 - 08:55 PM' timestamp='1254444958' post='1975972']
To my knowledge, most Religious Communities (especially in the CMSWR) wear a ring after final vows, usually on their left hand signifying marriage. In our Community, and in the IHM's in Wichita, we wear ours on our right hand because we were founded in Europe where the wedding ring is worn on the right hand.

Isn't it awesome?!

smm
[/quote]

I was under the impression that the nashville dominicans did not use profession rings?

InHisLove726

The Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus do not receive profession rings either. Bl. Mother Maria Teresa of St. Joseph used to wear crosses as jewelry as a little girl, and the necklace would always break and fall to the ground. After several tries of wearing a cross and it breaking, she believed Jesus was telling her He did not like the symbol of His passion to be used as jewelry. Mother was very against jewelry, from what I hear. :)

The professed Sisters of the DCJ order receive the black veil and a profession crucifix (like all Carmelites) that they wear under their scapular, above their heart. My friend, Elizabeth, had a picture of a Sister leaning over to view city of St. Louis from the Arch, and you could see her profession crucifix clearly. :))

Sr. M. Faustina

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='01 October 2009 - 08:55 PM' timestamp='1254444958' post='1975972']

Isn't it awesome?!

smm
[/quote]

Yes, it is awesome! Greetings in the Heart of Christ! We (the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of the Church) also wear a profession ring. We receive our ring at our first profession. At that time it is placed on the left hand. When we profess our final vows, it is placed on the right hand. We were also originally founded in Europe. Blessings to you all. Have a peaceful night.
In His peace and merciful Love,
Sister Faustina, SCMC

[quote name='Gemma' date='01 October 2009 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1254413013' post='1975584']

Any others?

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

Benedictines usually wear a ring. With us it is given at the Consecratio Virginum (Consecration to a Life of Virginity) although it is an "option" (horrible word) for anyone making final vows without the Consecratio. Our have the name JESUS followed by a cross and our own religious name inscribed inside. It is worn on the right hand because wedding rings in England are worn on the left. In most of continental Europe it is worn on the left because wedding rings are worn on the right.