An Old School Catholic Message Board

Profession Rings

Gemma

Indwelling Trinity

OCD Carmelites do not wear rings. Instead they receive a profession crucifix worn under the scapular over the heart. The exception is the Italian OCD nuns who wear the cross pinned on the outside over the scapular and over the heart.

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

As far as I rememebr all religious sisters I have seen in my country wear profession rings. They wear it on right hand, because also wedding rings we wear on right hand!

I'm a Franciscan Sister Minoress and we receive a ring at Final Profession. In fact, I don't know of any Sisters who don't.
Sr Marianne

AccountDeleted

I was very disappointed when I found out that the OCD Carmelites don't wear a ring - they consider the black veil received at Final Profession to be their "wedding ring" - but I would still prefer a ring. When one is a "Bride of Christ" then one should wear a wedding ring (IMHO). :love:

edited for typo

Edited by nunsense

InHisLove726

[quote name='nunsense' date='02 October 2009 - 06:51 AM' timestamp='1254480691' post='1976144']
I was very disappointed when I found out that the OCD Carmelites don't wear a ring - they consider the black veil received at Final Profession to be their "wedding ring" - but I would still prefer a ring. When one is a "Bride of Christ" then one should wear a wedding ring (IMHO). :love:

edited for typo
[/quote]

I agree. I always loved the idea of wearing a wedding ring symbolizing my betrothal to the Divine Spouse. :love:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='02 October 2009 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1254500386' post='1976249']
I agree. I always loved the idea of wearing a wedding ring symbolizing my betrothal to the Divine Spouse. :love:
[/quote]
+1
:clap:

InHisLove726

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='02 October 2009 - 12:22 PM' timestamp='1254500531' post='1976251']
+1
:clap:
[/quote]

:blush: Thank you.

InHisLove726

[quote name='nunsense' date='02 October 2009 - 06:51 AM' timestamp='1254480691' post='1976144']
[/quote]

I actually discovered that the Carmelite Nuns in Terre Haute, IN receive a ring at their solemn profession (I looked at the archive on their website and saw the pictures of the profession ceremonies of various Sisters). I understand that Terre Haute is a follower of the 1991 Constitutions, so it makes me wonder if any other 1991 monasteries practice the same? It would be worth looking into. :saint:

Edited by InHisLove726

moon_child_anne

The Sisters of Notre Dame wear one that is engraved on the inside with the saying "To Jesus Through Mary", it's in another language, I'm not exactly sure which language though. They get that ring when they make final profession.

www.snd1.org
www.sndky.org

Peace,
Anne, PND

Edited by moon_child_anne

InHisLove726

[quote name='moon_child_anne' date='03 October 2009 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1254594201' post='1976765']
The Sisters of Notre Dame wear one that is engraved on the inside with the saying "To Jesus Through Mary", it's in another language, I'm not exactly sure which language though. They get that ring when they make final profession.

www.snd1.org
www.sndky.org

Peace,
Anne, PND
[/quote]

Could it be in German since your order was founded in Coesfeld, Germany? :)

loveletslive

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='03 October 2009 - 06:36 AM' timestamp='1254566183' post='1976658']
I actually discovered that the Carmelite Nuns in Terre Haute, IN receive a ring at their solemn profession (I looked at the archive on their website and saw the pictures of the profession ceremonies of various Sisters). I understand that Terre Haute is a follower of the 1991 Constitutions, so it makes me wonder if any other 1991 monasteries practice the same? It would be worth looking into. :saint:
[/quote]

i've driven past their monastery several times. what is their website?

InHisLove726

[quote name='loveletslive' date='04 October 2009 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1254667520' post='1977309']
i've driven past their monastery several times. what is their website?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.heartsawake.org/"]http://www.heartsawake.org/[/url]

Edited by InHisLove726

moon_child_anne

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='03 October 2009 - 05:55 PM' timestamp='1254606949' post='1976861']
Could it be in German since your order was founded in Coesfeld, Germany? :)
[/quote]

Actually, I just asked one of our professed Sisters and she says that it's written in French in honor of St Julie Billiart, our spiritual foundress.