An Old School Catholic Message Board

Profession Rings

Gemma

[quote name='moon_child_anne' date='04 October 2009 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1254671058' post='1977336']
Actually, I just asked one of our professed Sisters and she says that it's written in French in honor of St Julie Billiart, our spiritual foundress.
[/quote]
That is what i wanted to say;-) the snds have two roots,the german 'founder' sisters to which the american provinces seem to relate more and st.julie,to which europe and brazil seem to emphasize more. I loved reading st. Julies letters!

But actually the snds i lived with (some sisters in first vows) got the ring at first profession and used it on the 'engagement' side and at solemn vows the date was engraved and used on the wedding side. But maybe that is a cultural thing as well.

moon_child_anne

[quote name='juchu' date='04 October 2009 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1254675222' post='1977364']
But actually the snds i lived with (some sisters in first vows) got the ring at first profession and used it on the 'engagement' side and at solemn vows the date was engraved and used on the wedding side. But maybe that is a cultural thing as well.
[/quote]

Wow, what province of the SNDs did you live with? I'm just curious because I had wondered how you knew so much about the community.

~Anne, PND

moon_child_anne

[quote name='juchu' date='04 October 2009 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1254675222' post='1977364']
[/quote]

Wow, what province of the SNDs did you live with? I'm just curious because I had wondered how you knew so much about the community.

~Anne, PND

I lived and worked over a year in one of the brazilian provinces. Good times:-) and right now in live in one of their university housings near coesfeld. But right now i am on the train to coesfeld to drop of my broken notebook at the store where i bought it....:@ i know ur fellow brazilian postulants well. I am not discerning with the snds though,but i have learned a lot from them. I will say hello to ur founders roots to u in 10 min when i arrive;-)

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='02 October 2009 - 02:24 AM' timestamp='1254461081' post='1976106']
OCD Carmelites do not wear rings. Instead they receive a profession crucifix worn under the scapular over the heart. The exception is the Italian OCD nuns who wear the cross pinned on the outside over the scapular and over the heart.

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing this; I think it's beautiful. I never heard about it before. It seems to signify a complete giving of yourself to Jesus, and with the Cross being hidden under the Scapular and over the heart; it seems to be a reminder that your heart is given completely only for Him, and that you remain hidden for His eyes alone and are for His Heart alone.

[quote name='organwerke' date='12 October 2009 - 07:26 AM' timestamp='1255346768' post='1983899']
Does a person choose an Order only because the nuns wear rings? It seems quite strange to me! :unsure:
[/quote]

I would hope not. I want to wear one, but I'm actually discerning with an order who doesn't wear them (the Discalced Carmelites). :saint:

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='12 October 2009 - 01:38 PM' timestamp='1255347527' post='1983902']
I would hope not. I want to wear one, but I'm actually discerning with an order who doesn't wear them (the Discalced Carmelites). :saint:
[/quote]
Oh I would hope not too! :rolleyes: Anyway, I must confess I don't like nun's rings very much! But I think it is quite a detail...nuns have many seigns of their belonging to God, especially those who have the habit, and rings or not rings...I don't think this makes a difference! Anyway, I love Carmelites and their spirituality, and I wish you a very good discernment!

Edited by organwerke

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='organwerke' date='12 October 2009 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1255354443' post='1983921']
Oh I would hope not too! :rolleyes: Anyway, I must confess I don't like nun's rings very much! But I think it is quite a detail...nuns have many seigns of their belonging to God, especially those who have the habit, and rings or not rings...I don't think this makes a difference! Anyway, I love Carmelites and their spirituality, and I wish you a very good discernment!
[/quote]

I agree, also with the comments about poverty. There is a lovely bit though towards the end of "Forth and Abroad: Still Merry by Land and Sea" by Mother Mary Francis, Poor Clare. Several Poor Clares were on a plane going to a faraway land to found a new monastery. The stewardess looked at the little gold band Mother Mary Francis was wearing and said, "That looks like a wedding ring." "It is a wedding ring," she answered. She could see that a light bulb went on for the stewardess. It's kind of a neat little story. She mentions also that they had cheap little rings--maybe more people used to have ones that only looked like gold? or maybe they were very narrow? or plated.

But, the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate do have lovely ones. It did surprise me, because of the poverty. But they are very beautiful--somehow they have an M entwined with a crucifix, I could never say how without seeing one again.

If you buy just plain silver wedding bands, they are really inexpensive. I've seen them on the internet for anywhere from $15 on up. The thinner bands, of course, are the cheapest.

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='12 October 2009 - 11:46 PM' timestamp='1255405566' post='1984288']
If you buy just plain silver wedding bands, they are really inexpensive. I've seen them on the internet for anywhere from $15 on up. The thinner bands, of course, are the cheapest.
[/quote]

There is also a big price difference for the quality of the gold. It could be 10, 14 or 18 K gold.

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' date='14 October 2009 - 09:24 AM' timestamp='1255526694' post='1985090']
There is also a big price difference for the quality of the gold. It could be 10, 14 or 18 K gold.
[/quote]

:yes:

I've also seen some gold over sterling silver rings advertised on Walmart.com that look nice too and are about $40. :)