An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lost: The Final Season-- Discussion And ***spoilers***

hope4thenew

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='18 February 2010 - 07:52 PM' timestamp='1266540764' post='2059053']
In the original timeline:
Couldn't Ben have been evacuated with the other children and women and returned to the Island at a later time prior to the Purge? We pretty much have only seen him as his 12 year old self and then right before the kidnapping of Alex ('88). We don't really know what he was doing or how long he might have been gone. Therefore, in the original timeline, Ben is evacuated but comes back after the Incident but before the kidnapping ('88) and Purge ('92). I assume that Ethan was another of the DHARMA members to defect to the Others prior to the Purge (Ben said he was not alone).

In alternate timeline:
Ben is evacuated, Juliet blows up the Island, Ben never returns. He develops a love for European history and sweater vests (a match made in heaven) and becomes a middle school teacher.
[/quote]

But he was just shot! He just got out of the temple and hadn't been returned to his workman loser dad yet. He couldn't have gotten off on the sub.

So this is the theory folks are bandying about. in 1977 the bomb goes off. Since it kills Faraday's mom while she's pregnant with him, he's never born. Since he's never born, he can't go back to 1955 and tell Richard to bury the bomb. So the bomb blows up earlier than 1977 before Ben and his dad get on the island

laetitia crucis

[quote name='hot stuff' date='19 February 2010 - 12:43 AM' timestamp='1266554583' post='2059283']
But he was just shot! He just got out of the temple and hadn't been returned to his workman loser dad yet. He couldn't have gotten off on the sub.

So this is the theory folks are bandying about. in 1977 the bomb goes off. Since it kills Faraday's mom while she's pregnant with him, he's never born. Since he's never born, he can't go back to 1955 and tell Richard to bury the bomb. So the bomb blows up earlier than 1977 before Ben and his dad get on the island
[/quote]

:bigshock:

You know, I think it's beginning to make [i]much[/i] more sense now, especially if the bomb blew up earlier than 1977. :idea:

Thanks, ja[i][/i]ime!

homeschoolmom

My head hurts. How can it blow up before '77 unless someone somewhere does some more time traveling... Aaaaaahahahahahahahahaha....

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='19 February 2010 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1266614470' post='2059648']
My head hurts. How can it blow up before '77 unless someone somewhere does some more time traveling... Aaaaaahahahahahahahahaha....
[/quote]

Is your nose bleeding yet?

Daniel Faraday would be the constant in this theory. The bomb goes off killing Faraday's mom while she's pregnant. Which means Daniel Faraday (who is already dead) causes himself not to be born. Now in the alternate timeline, there is no Daniel Faraday so no one warns Richard in 1955 that the bomb has to be buried or it might explode. So since no one warns anyone, the bomb goes off prior to 1977.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='18 February 2010 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1266527547' post='2058938']
I was wondering the exact same thing.

Hmm... :think:

So... just so I can get this straight... the alternate timeline is 2004, and the post-bomb island is in 2007, right? Maybe in alternate 2004 there was a mass exodus from the island and Ben went with them? Maybe the bomb had bigger repercussions in affecting the entire life of the island - it's origin, and it's past, present, and future?

Ehhh.. :unsure:

With the whole '77 time change in the mix, I find myself seriously lost on a lot of things.

I mean, for example, with Bernard and Rose. If they did indeed die in '77 (after the bomb went off) and their skeletons were found in the cave 30 years later by the Flight 815 people (including 2004 ROSE)... well, how does "What Happened, Happened" and "dead is dead" even apply there? If she ended up dying in '77, then how could she even exist in the Flight 815 reality? Ahhhhh!! :wacko:

I just don't get a lot of the time-travel implications. :blink: It makes me a little crazy, though I do find some pleasure in pondering them. Hah!
[/quote]
Yeah, my husband and I were trying to puzzle all this out. It does seem like other things changed, too, but I don't know.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='19 February 2010 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1266619822' post='2059698']
Is your nose bleeding yet?

Daniel Faraday would be the constant in this theory. The bomb goes off killing Faraday's mom while she's pregnant. Which means Daniel Faraday (who is already dead) causes himself not to be born. Now in the alternate timeline, there is no Daniel Faraday so no one warns Richard in 1955 that the bomb has to be buried or it might explode. So since no one warns anyone, the bomb goes off prior to 1977.
[/quote]
Interesting.

homeschoolmom

Okay... so, exploring the bomb going off in '54 theory...

So then none of these people are effected by they Island in any way:
Ben, Ethan or any of the DHARMA people... Pierre Chang, Horace, none of 'em.
Juliet
Desmond
Danielle and the French team
and of course the Flight 815 LOSTies...

But...
If Eloise and Charles Widmore are killed in '54, then (as was mentioned) Daniel is never born... and neither is Penny! Of course, this is not distressing for Desmond as he doesn't know any different... and may explain why he's on flight 815 in the Flash Sideways 2004. So, it would be the end of the Others, Richard, etc. Hmmmmm....

And....
If the bomb detonates in '54 instead of '77, why did the underwater Island show DHARMAville? I think it had to go off closer to '77, but not '77... sometime after DHARMA was built.... but when? The DHARMA Initiative began in '70.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='20 February 2010 - 08:56 AM' timestamp='1266674198' post='2059906']
Okay... so, exploring the bomb going off in '54 theory...

So then none of these people are effected by they Island in any way:
Ben, Ethan or any of the DHARMA people... Pierre Chang, Horace, none of 'em.
Juliet
Desmond
Danielle and the French team
and of course the Flight 815 LOSTies...

But...
If Eloise and Charles Widmore are killed in '54, then (as was mentioned) Daniel is never born... and neither is Penny! Of course, this is not distressing for Desmond as he doesn't know any different... and may explain why he's on flight 815 in the Flash Sideways 2004. So, it would be the end of the Others, Richard, etc. Hmmmmm....

And....
If the bomb detonates in '54 instead of '77, why did the underwater Island show DHARMAville? I think it had to go off closer to '77, but not '77... sometime after DHARMA was built.... but when? The DHARMA Initiative began in '70.
[/quote]

yeah that's what makes sense. Although I gotta say if this is what is actually happening, I'm gonna be cranky.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='hot stuff' date='20 February 2010 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1266674950' post='2059908']
yeah that's what makes sense. Although I gotta say if this is what is actually happening, I'm gonna be cranky.
[/quote]
Pfft... you're always cranky. There is no way they are going to end it to your satisfaction. What if they set up a scene where they are just about to show when the bomb goes off and... they cut to black ala The Sopranos? :smokey: The End.

What if... bomb doesn't go off in the 50s, but Eloise and Charles are concerned about it and leave the Island. Then Daniel is born. Penny is born. Bomb goes off after DHARMAville is build in '70, but before the Linuses arrive (and way before Ethan is born on the Island).

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='20 February 2010 - 09:26 AM' timestamp='1266675966' post='2059910']
Pfft... you're always cranky. There is no way they are going to end it to your satisfaction. What if they set up a scene where they are just about to show when the bomb goes off and... they cut to black ala The Sopranos? :smokey: The End.

What if... bomb doesn't go off in the 50s, but Eloise and Charles are concerned about it and leave the Island. Then Daniel is born. Penny is born. Bomb goes off after DHARMAville is build in '70, but before the Linuses arrive (and way before Ethan is born on the Island).
[/quote]

I am always cranky... :sadder:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='hope4thenew' date='20 February 2010 - 06:08 PM' timestamp='1266707323' post='2060088']
[img]http://www.sl-lost.com/images/jacobwantsyou.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
:lol: :rolling:

Ephrem Augustine

[url="http://www.theonion.com/content/video/final_season_of_lost_promises_to"]The Onion: New Season of Lost promises to make fans more annoying than ever.[/url]

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='21 February 2010 - 12:44 PM' timestamp='1266770694' post='2060482']
[url="http://www.theonion.com/content/video/final_season_of_lost_promises_to"]The Onion: New Season of Lost promises to make fans more annoying than ever.[/url]
[/quote]

I am guilty as charged. :sadder: :P

One of my friends that also watches [i]Lost [/i]doesn't really like talking about possible theories or even questioning the show all that much. No one else I know watches it, so... I'm sure my annoyance level skyrockets around her. :rolling:

She says, "I just want to be surprised." (Bor-ing. :rolleyes: )

I think that takes all of the fun out of theorizing and trying to put the puzzle pieces together, even when I'm wrong. :whistle:

Ephrem Augustine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='21 February 2010 - 08:47 PM' timestamp='1266803278' post='2060791']
I am guilty as charged. :sadder: :P

One of my friends that also watches [i]Lost [/i]doesn't really like talking about possible theories or even questioning the show all that much. No one else I know watches it, so... I'm sure my annoyance level skyrockets around her. :rolling:

She says, "I just want to be surprised." (Bor-ing. :rolleyes: )

I think that takes all of the fun out of theorizing and trying to put the puzzle pieces together, even when I'm wrong. :whistle:
[/quote]

Me too.

One of the brothers used to watch it with me two years ago. He came in on the season premiere this year, and as I was explaining what was happening, he was getting more and more annoyed. He has not joined me since.

And there I am with my lap top on lostpedia analysing and cross referencing everything that is happening.