An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ugly Churches

Veridicus

Here is a picture of the Orthodox Church I visit from time to time:

[img]http://www.orthodoxhawaii.org/images/IveronIcon/DSC02151.JPG[/img]

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 October 2009 - 08:22 PM' timestamp='1255656173' post='1986218']

[/quote]

That is a beautiful iconostasis. I want more iconography in Latin Churches.

[IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/CorpusChristiChurch.jpg[/IMG]

I attend Corpus Christi now. The bricks inspire me.

My brother used to have a Jesus picture on his wall that the eyes would follow you around the room. It creeped me out. A holographic one would have put me into a anxiety attack.

little_miss_late

Veridicus, let me know when you're in downstate NY. I will point you to some lovely 20th century Catholic churches. I can't find photos to post that don't have my friends in them (and I don't really think it's cool to post pictures of other people on an internet forum).

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 October 2009 - 08:22 PM' timestamp='1255656173' post='1986218']

[/quote]

What a gorgeous temple. The house of God, where the saints repose.

Although my personal taste in church architecture is the same as yours it should be noted that physical beauty is a completely subjective concept.

[quote name='OraProMe' date='16 October 2009 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1255669715' post='1986327']
Although my personal taste in church architecture is the same as yours it should be noted that physical beauty is a completely subjective concept.
[/quote]

While my personal attraction or revulsion to a form of architecture may be a subjective experience, I still tend to follow Ratzinger's view that some architectural forms are more concordant with the Latin Church's liturgical tradition. And he specifically cited the iconoclastic crisis in his "Spirit of the Liturgy" as an example of the church's architectural/furnishing decline in recent decades.

Edited by Veridicus

[quote name='Veridicus' date='16 October 2009 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1255670427' post='1986334']
some architectural forms are more concordant with the Latin Church's liturgical tradition.
[/quote]
Yeah, that's a better way of expressing it.

[quote]
And he specifically cited the iconoclastic crisis in his "Spirit of the Liturgy" as an example of the church's architectural/furnishing decline in recent decades.
[/quote]

How many icons furnished the room which hosted the last supper?

[quote name='OraProMe' date='15 October 2009 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1255670671' post='1986337']
How many icons furnished the room which hosted the last supper?
[/quote]
The upper room contained the Icon of icons, Jesus Christ, the image of the invisible Father and the source of all iconography.

I understand what you mean about ugly Churches. My old parish was knocked down around 1997 and rebuilt. I've never liked the way the new Church looks. It has an ugly green metal roof and sticks out like a sore thumb. The interior is a whole different story. It's brick, brick, brick and is bland, bland, bland. The only stained glass window are by the entrance to the Church, behind the altar, and in the chapel. Everywhere else is just plain glass.

I moved to a new Church with my family in 2007, and I think it's prettier. It's got culture, too. I remember reading about the inside of the Church in my diocesan newsletter and it talked about how the Church had everything inspired from different cultures like Moroccan, Byzantine, Spanish, etc. The architecture is nice, but I still very much appreciate the older Churches. The one thing I don't like about my current Church is the fact that the Tabernacle is in the Chapel behind the altar. You can still see it if you look through the window behind the altar, but I prefer it to be within the Sanctuary. :)

There are two Churches in my hometown that still offer the Latin Mass (also the Novus Ordo) and I've been to both of them. Both of them, especially the larger of the two, have beautiful detail on the inside and make me yearn for more Churches like them. What I especially like about older Churches is the steeple and cross that you can see several miles away.

The larger Church has ornate stained glass windows, a main altar dedicated to the Sacred Heart with the Tabernacle below it, a regular OF altar, angels on the rafters (almost like they are a part of the Mass), and incredible Stations of the Cross. There are several side altars, including the Pieta, St. Therese (my personal favorite), and St. Anthony. Everything about that Church draws me in because it has so much history and beauty. :))

I'm discerning with the Carmelite Monastery in Buffalo, NY and I can't wait to go there for the first time. I've seen pictures of the Chapel there and people tell me it is MUCH more beautiful in person than in pictures. They have amazing stained glass windows too. ;)

This is just the outside:

[img]http://www.carmelitenunsstjoseph.org/images/BuffaloMon.jpg[/img]

[quote name='OraProMe' date='16 October 2009 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1255669715' post='1986327']
[/quote]

I disagree.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

One thing I really dislike is baptismal fountains that continually run. It's kinda distracting to have to listen to the not-so-much a trickle of water all through Mass. For some I imagine it is calming/relaxing, but I'm not at Mass to reflect beside a pond or creek. Besides, you can only hear it if they aren't playing any music during Communion, and that seems to be an absurd concept for my parish (the choir never seems to stop all through Communion time).

This is when the Church was in the basement of the school building in 1957:
[img]http://saintmargaretmary.org/jpgs/history/Interior-of-church-2.jpg[/img]

There is a new church that was built in the 80s though and the church in the basement was removed. It's pretty big, but it is all wood and bricks. It looks very warm because of the colors of the bricks & such, but feels kinda empty at the same time. They have a 'cathedral style' layout because there is a separate chapel where the Tabernacle resides which can easily either be part of the main church or apart be rolling up or down one of two walls. I don't understand the need for a 'cathedral style' layout for a parish church. It's not like we have people constantly going through our church to take pictures or anything like that. There is no Tabernacle in the larger church. I like the chapel a lot more than the church. They chapel also has a garden in it (because St. Margaret Mary received her visions in the garden) and it actually has a Crucifix that looks like a Crucifix, instead of an artist's interpretation of what the Crucifixion and the Resurrection would look like together (fyi, it looks like the Resurrected Christ with a cross behind Him-I don't see the any signs of Crucifixion). But, on the other hand, our parish could be a lot worse... [url="http://www.holyfamilyparish.org/left/cross.htm"]Holy Family, Inverness[/url]. I am very glad that we have some very dedicated people who put together adoration every Wednesday, Monday evenings, and 1st Fridays. It is a blessing that the faith is alive here.

Going through my parish website, I think it is kinda interesting that there are no real pictures of the inside of our church. I at one time started making plans for a huge mural for the large white stone wall in the sanctuary.

There is [url="http://www.stmaryhuntley.org/tour.html"]a parish[/url] near here that was built in 2001 that is very traditional, but still modern. It's quite lovely actually, but it is just so big that Daily Mass feels kind of distant because of the hugeness.

Edited by FutureNunJMJ

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='16 October 2009 - 07:19 AM' timestamp='1255695590' post='1986389']
I disagree.
[/quote]

What is your favourite colour? Whatever it is, I hate it.
You get my point.

Edited by OraProMe