An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions On Vows (Obedience, Chastity, Poverty)

Jennifer G.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' date='20 October 2009 - 03:18 AM' timestamp='1256019480' post='1988320']
They are 1990. They are a very recent foundation made by the Carmel of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph in Valparaiso, Nebraska (which is also 1990). They have eleven sisters.

They resemble Valparaiso a lot. Like Valparaiso they also use the Carmelite Rite and have the Extraordinary Form of the Mass daily. They have a FSSP chaplain.
[/quote]

What's FSSP? I've heard of it, but I don't know much about it.

[quote name='Jennifer G.' date='20 October 2009 - 06:27 AM' timestamp='1256034421' post='1988400']
What's FSSP? I've heard of it, but I don't know much about it.
[/quote]

It's the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter. :)

http://www.fssp.org/en/index.htm

In addition to the distinction between 1990 vs 1991 for the OCD, there is also the OCarms. The Discalced Carmelites are the reform of St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross, while the O. Carm's are the original order.

FSSP priests will say the Traditional Latin Mass.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 October 2009 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1255989483' post='1987973']
I know this is a tad off-topic, but :whistle: as we're talking about Carmels, could someone explain why a Carmelite monastery is called "Carmel"?

[/quote]

"Carmel" means garden, and is of course a reference to Mt. Carmel. This was the site of Elijah's showdown with the prophets of Baal, and it is also mentioned in the Song of Songs. By calling the house a carmel, they are invoking the heritage of hermits living on Mt. Carmel. That's it in a nutshell, though certainly more could be said on the topic!

Women's Carmelite houses are called Monasteries, in addition to being called Carmels. I imagine the same is true of the men's houses.