An Old School Catholic Message Board

New? Beautiful Benedictine Order Of Nuns In Al

Laudem Gloriae

Laudem Gloriae

These nuns were new to me anyway. They are connected with the Monks of Christ the King Abbey and these monks are their confessors, etc. and seem to help with vocations to the nuns order too.

[mod]we don't allow these kind of links. please be more careful in the future.[/mod]

Edited by Lil Red

Unfortunately, zunshynn is right. This is a quote from their website:

[quote]The Abbey of Christ the King is a monastery of contemplative Benedictine monks established in order to preserve the traditional practices of the monastic life under the Holy Rule of St. Benedict and to maintain inviolate the traditional Catholic Faith, as taught and observed prior to Vatican Council II. The Abbey stands in resistance and opposition to the wave of Modernism that has invaded the Catholic Church, yet it is forever loyal to the traditional and orthodox teachings of that Roman and Apostolic Church.[/quote]

As an extern, I shopped at the same grocery store that they do, and ran into them once or twice... they do seem nice. I hope that someday they are reconciled with the Church.

You never know, with Bishop Baker being so supportive of the TLM, they may eventually come around.

Maybe someone should start a thread where we could keep a list of religious communities that are not in communion with the the Church, and perhaps it could be pinned, and when anyone runs across one, they could add it? Simply to give those discerning a warning, because most of them are not usually explicit about not being in communion on their websites or in their literature. It would also be nice to remind everyone to pray for those communities.

:sign:

[quote name='OraProMe' date='19 October 2009 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1255999599' post='1988050']
Why are links to sedevacantists not allowed? That seems a bit excessive. I doubt a mod would edit a link to protestants.
[/quote]

I think both should be censored.

I'm a big fan of censorship.

That said, the forum belongs to neither of us, so we do not make the rules.

[quote name='OraProMe' date='19 October 2009 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1255999599' post='1988050']
Why are links to sedevacantists not allowed? That seems a bit excessive. I doubt a mod would edit a link to protestants.
[/quote]

The potential to cause scandal is different. Protestants are not pretending to be Catholic. Sedevecantists and others in schism because of Vatican II usually do make it sound as if they are orthodox Catholics.

If you go to a protestant website, you are going to know that it is Protestant. If you go to one run by a sedevacantist or or other schismatic group, you probably would not know that until you looked very closely.

I only knew that this group was not because of personal experience with them... when I looked at their website I never would have known.

Edited by zunshynn

oh! What was your personal experience with them? The bishop who helped establish them, Bp. Robert Mckenna, confirmed the little sister of this girl I'm friendly with. I think it was that one....

[quote name='OraProMe' date='19 October 2009 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1256005043' post='1988091']
oh! What was your personal experience with them? The bishop who helped establish them, Bp. Robert Mckenna, confirmed the little sister of this girl I'm friendly with. I think it was that one....
[/quote]

Just that they were in the same diocese as I was when I was at OLAM. I mean... you know what I mean... They weren't associated with the diocese, of course, but they were in the physical vicinity of it. I never discerned with them or went to their monastery or anything... I just, like I said, ran into them occasionally while doing errands in Cullman, where they are locate. Plus, because most of the people in Cullman don't know the difference between the different religious in the area, and because we both had dark habits, often people would ask us about them and if we were from the same place.

It was kind of funny... We usually do our grocery shopping in the afternoon, and sometimes we would go in and they employees would be like, weren't you just here this morning? (Because I guess they had done theirs the same morning.) :lol:

Edited by zunshynn

[quote name='OraProMe' date='19 October 2009 - 08:49 PM' timestamp='1256006945' post='1988115']
HAHA that's great. Is OLAM where EWTN is?
[/quote]

EWTN is located where the old monastery used to be, in Birmingham. But the sisters moved to a new location, in Hanceville, in 1999. (The monastery is connected to the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament). It's about an hour north of Birmingham. Still the same diocese though.

Laudem Gloriae

Perhaps the moderators should be sure before they delete links and scold - especially when the poster did NOT know at the time BUT I have since found out, after emailing the bishop's office in the Diocese that these Benedictine nuns in Cullman, AL are in that the nuns are NOT schismatic and separated from the churc. Maybe the monks are, as I didn't ask about them I don't know their status.

Here is the email to me from a priest at the bishop's office:

"Dear Ms. XXXX:

The Benedictine's of St. Joseph's Monastery at Cullman is Catholic and is in NOT schismatic. I am not sure who told you that it was but it is not true.

Thank you for your inquiry. I pray your discernment goes well.

Fr. VXXX"

The diocesan office is wrong. If these nuns are connected to the Benedictines of Christ the King Abbey (which is what the thread states) then they are not in good standing with the Church. The monks are under the guidance of Bp. Robert Mckenna (a sedevacantist) and I know for a fact that he and his ilk don't give communion to those inside the "Novus Ordo Church". Also the monks couldn't be their confessors (as the OP states) because as sedevacantist priests without a bishop they lack the faculties needed (jurisdiction) to absolve sins.

Edited by OraProMe

It may be possible that the diocesan office is confusing the Christ the King nuns with another Benedictine order in Cullman, AL.

The monastery has a different name (Sacred Heart rather than St. Joseph's), but they are in full communion with Rome.

http://www.shmon.org/