An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Is A Nuns Husband God Or Jesus?

carmelite15

Ok so i just wanted to know something whos a nuns husband God or Jesus, well me and my friend was talking on facebook today and i she wants to be a carmelite nun to and i askd her and she was like i really dont know that one but she said she was going to ask some of the carmelites next week. So im just asking you guys.

thanks.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='carmelite15' date='22 October 2009 - 03:45 AM' timestamp='1256197503' post='1989572']
Im sorry i mean is a nuns Husband God Or Jesus?
[/quote]
:smokey:

Indwelling Trinity

Isn't it all the same? Jesus is God man united inseparably to the holy Trinity. Three persons one God.

I believe you are espoused the Holy Trinity when you become a nun. The Carmelite DCJ Sisters begin their holy vow formula with:

[quote]I vow to the Holy Triune God...[/quote]

Though of course the imagery of the Marriage Supper of the Lamb suggests that of the three members of the Trinity, Jesus would be filling that role. Saints who have mystical marriages tend to receive their ring from the baby Jesus, in Mary's arms.

I mean, I'm not sure why it matters. A nun is living the beginning of the heavenly intimacy with the Trinity here on earth. Since it's in anticipation of heaven, it's more like a really long engagement ;).

And one of Mary's titles is "Spouse of the Holy Spirit." But Mary is a special case for most things ;). She's the [i]daughter[/i] of God the Father ("Rejoice, O highly-favored daughter..."), the [i]mother[/i] of Jesus, the [i]spouse[/i] of the Holy Spirit...and she's married to St. Joseph. So...yeah.

DominicanPhilosophy

Yeah, I've often wondered how this could be explained. To one discerning, I don't think it's really "analyzed" in the same way that one with no concept of discernment would "analyze" it. That is, to fall in love with God or Jesus or the Holy Spirit is to fall in love with the other two Persons of the Holy Trinity; it's falling in love with Love itself (Himself). But I have heard that religious life can sometimes be seen as strangely exclusive: "How can sisters marry Jesus but not God? Well, so, if they do marry Jesus, and Jesus is God, then they're marrying twice, so...polygamy?"
Divine Mystery. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

+JMJD

[quote name='carmelite15' date='22 October 2009 - 09:43 AM' timestamp='1256197404' post='1989571']
Ok so i just wanted to know something whos a nuns husband God or Jesus, well me and my friend was talking on facebook today and i she wants to be a carmelite nun to and i askd her and she was like i really dont know that one but she said she was going to ask some of the carmelites next week. So im just asking you guys.

thanks.
[/quote]

As a Benedictine nun and Consecrated Virgin myself, I'd probably say "neither" as such although I find the bridal symbolism richer and richer the longer I live monastic life. The Bride of Christ image is used primarily as a type of the Church: it is the [b]whole[/b] Church, including its married and widowed people, which is the one Bride of Christ and therefore indissolubly united with her Crucified and Risen Lord.(You wil find this very clearly expressed in St Augustine, [i]De bono vid.[/i] 10.13 where he explains the spiritual virginity of the Church simply and beautifully.) The nun is a symbol and sign of this reality of the Church, and I personally am very conscious that I live my consecration in and for the Church. But I'm only one among many and others will take a different view. Many find it helpful to think of the concecration of religious life in terms of espousal to Our Lord, and in the Eastern tradition it is applied as freely to monks as to nuns. (I wish I could find a lovely illustration I have somewhere of the Prudent Virgins of the Gospel which shows Orthodox monks surrounding the person of Christ.) Many people have drawn great inspiration and comfort from meditating on the bridal images used throughout the Old and New Testaments and the covenant love God has consistently shown His people. I do myself. In the end, it is the everlasting commitment in love which counts; and that comes first as an invitation from Our Blessed Lord to which we respond by grace. But you knew that anyway! God bless you.

Sister Rose Therese

Our religious vows are made to God.
Sister Catherine has some very good points.

I don't think we can really interpret our relationship with God so narrowly. We can use the image of our earthly relationships to describe elements of our relationship with God, with the persons of the Trinity. With earthly relationships you can't be married to your father, or your brother. You would think it very bad for for than one woman to marry a man. But we can't put these limits on God. Our earthly relationships are meant to tell us something about our relationship with God.
So I view the Lord Jesus as both Father and Spouse, but not exclusively. Just because I view my relationship to Jesus in this way does not necessarily mean I can't view my relationship to the Father or the Holy Spirit in those ways too.

Does this make sense?

Jesus (who is our God Triune) is the Divine Spouse of The Church and therefore of every baptized person who are The Church - religious life is to make a radical commitment to the Divine Spouse in Poverty, Chastity and Obedience in a consecrated way of life in response to an invitation and call or vocation from God. There can also private vows of radical commitment to Jesus which is not a consecrated life but may be lived out just as radically or moreso - and always a wise and prudent, blest, move to have spiritual direction prior to any private vows. Private vows or vow should never to be undertaken lightly. One can also live very radically in commitment to Jesus without any sort of vow or vows other than baptismal vows which have an aspect that is radical and can be lived out quite radically. Our baptism is a call and vocation. God's Will and Divine Providing for our holiness and sanctity is always and forever with us in every moment and in every walk of life without exception - and He calls and invites as He May in Infinite Freedom.

Blessings and regards.........Barb

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Thomist-in-Training

If you are asking about "God" as in "God the Father," it's more usual (as everyone else noted) to refer to nuns as Brides of Christ, the Second Person. But I'd swear that St. Clare says... somewhere I can't find again... that her sisters should be [color="#4169E1"]like Mary, who was daughter of the Father, mother of the Son, and spouse of the Holy Ghost[/color]. But she also uses the Bride of Christ image elsewhere in several places.

*P.S. Formal Church usage makes a distinction between HUSBAND and SPOUSE. The former is used mainly in earthly senses and the latter in spiritual and general senses. So "Sponsa Christi," "Spouse" or "Bride" of Christ, not "Wife" usually; and Christ is the "Sponsus," "Spouse" or "Bridegroom," usually not "Husband." I think sometimes particularly this is made with reference to the marriage of Our Lady and St. Joseph. They were true [i]spouses [/i]to each other but the words "husband and wife" are usually [i]not [/i] used of them in formal Church language.

Edited by Thomist-in-Training