An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Movies With A Vocation Message

the_rev

melporcristo

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' date='02 January 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1262476099' post='2028764']
DEFINITELY just got a Netflix free 2-week trial so I can watch all these movies! Tonight will be "Going My Way" with Bing Crosby via streaming Netflix online.

This is so legit!

:popcorn:
[/quote]

I think I have that one on cue - is it a musical?

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

I think it's technically considered a musical, although it wasn't like all song-and-dance ish. Just the occasional song by Fr. O'Malley, but it's always because he's teaching the choir or is behind a piano, not just like random breaking into song. :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' date='02 January 2010 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1262476099' post='2028764']
DEFINITELY just got a Netflix free 2-week trial so I can watch all these movies! Tonight will be "Going My Way" with Bing Crosby via streaming Netflix online.

This is so legit!

:popcorn:
[/quote]

I love "Going My Way"!!! I saw it last year, I think. :popcorn: Definitely a movie I'd call "convent friendly". :lol:

Actually, I did watch it in the convent. Haha!

At the end I needed some tissues. Ahhh.... love it!

Now I'm seriously considering that free two week trial... :evil:

Sister Rose Therese

This story is a bit "Hollywood"ized but is a good story about a woman who went to great lengths to follow her vocation.
The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
There is also one on Blessed Andre Bessette (Just called Andre Bessette I think) He just had a miracle declared by the Congregation for the Causes of Saints.
Oops, no it is called [url="http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/BROTHER+ANDRE+-+DVD/shop.axd/ProductDetails?keywords=andre+&edp_no=14147"]Brother Andre[/url]

Edited by Sister Rose Therese

While not a specifically religious movie, "Field of Dreams" always seemed to me about following your call no matter the cost. There were a lot of spiritual themes in the movie related to forgiveness and redemption as well.

melporcristo

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' date='05 January 2010 - 03:07 PM' timestamp='1262729264' post='2030386']
This story is a bit "Hollywood"ized but is a good story about a woman who went to great lengths to follow her vocation.
The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
There is also one on Blessed Andre Bessette (Just called Andre Bessette I think) He just had a miracle declared by the Congregation for the Causes of Saints.
Oops, no it is called [url="http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/BROTHER+ANDRE+-+DVD/shop.axd/ProductDetails?keywords=andre+&edp_no=14147"]Brother Andre[/url]
[/quote]

I really liked the Inn of the Sixth Happiness!! It was VERY good - it reminded me of my missionary year :)

Thank you Sister!!

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='Hilde' date='08 January 2010 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1262927558' post='2032289']
I ended up ordering the "beloved" DVD, by the way. It's on its way
[/quote]

You will NOT regret it!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='melporcristo' date='01 January 2010 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1262402669' post='2028320']
You might be able to find it through [url="http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=3646&SKU=STAN-M&ReturnURL=search.aspx%3f%3fSID%3d1%26SearchCriteria%3dst.+teresa+of+the+andes"]Ignatius Press[/url]. They recently re-released the movie from their productions.
The original version is in 6 segments and in VHS.
[/quote]

Dear melporcristo,
I want to thank you for posting the link to buy the movie "Saint Teresa of the Andes". I wasn't sure about spending $32 on a movie at first. It seemed a little excessive. But I have wanted this movie for a while, and I am most thankful that I bought it. It is perhaps one of the greatest films I have seen, not in the quality of the production, but in its truly authentic picture of the life of a saint inflamed with the love of God. The producers of this film undoubtedly did their homework, as everything about the life within a traditional Carmelite convent of that time confirms what I have read. This movie has also opened my eyes to a beautiful saint that I never really knew about before. When I read her writings, I am struck silent that a soul could have such a burning love for Our Lord and for souls as to suffer such continual desolation in silence, with such equanimity and grace, amidst the common repetition of the community life.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post the link.

[b]From the writings of Saint Teresa of the Andes[/b];
“Jesus alone is beautiful; He is my only joy. I call for Him,
I cry after Him, I search for Him within my heart. I long for
Jesus to grind me interiorly so that I may become a pure
host where He can find His rest. I want to be athirst with
love so that other souls may possess this love. I would die
to creatures and to myself, so that He may live in me......
He is my unending wealth, my bliss, my heaven.”

Edited by four_waters

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' date='10 November 2009 - 02:27 AM' timestamp='1257834447' post='1999394']
The same people who did that movie also did one on Fr. (St.) Alberto Hurtado. Really good too and better for a guy who is discerning the priesthood/religious life. Fr. Hurtado was a Jesuit priest and Chile's second saint.
[/quote]

Dear TotusTuusMaria,
Would you happen to know where this movie can be obtained?

Blessings,

Davide

Has anyone seen the movie about Fr. Damien of Molokai? I had the privilege of seeing it on a movie channel last week (I only saw the last half of it, though) and it was wonderful. David Wenham plays St. Damien. I highly recommend it. It emphasizes his mission even when others told him he would fail and it was no use because the lepers were dying anyway. He pressed on and showed true commitment to the Gospel of Christ.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Molokai-Father-Damien-David-Wenham/dp/B00011Y1PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264242205&sr=1-1"]Molokai: The Story of Father Damian[/url]

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='23 January 2010 - 06:24 AM' timestamp='1264242256' post='2042778']
Has anyone seen the movie about Fr. Damien of Molokai? I had the privilege of seeing it on a movie channel last week (I only saw the last half of it, though) and it was wonderful. David Wenham plays St. Damien. I highly recommend it. It emphasizes his mission even when others told him he would fail and it was no use because the lepers were dying anyway. He pressed on and showed true commitment to the Gospel of Christ.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Molokai-Father-Damien-David-Wenham/dp/B00011Y1PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264242205&sr=1-1"]Molokai: The Story of Father Damian[/url]
[/quote]

I saw that movie a few years ago while in the convent and absolutely loved it. :) I had never heard about the movie or Fr. (St.) Damien before that.

I think one of my favorite scenes was when Fr. Damien gave his confession. What an amazing missionary saint!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where I can find this movie with English subtitles?

http://gloria.tv/?media=4072

It appears to be the "[b]Dialogues des Carmelites[/b]" (Dialogues of the Carmelites), original screenplay written by Georges Bernanos, but I am not entirely sure about that.

Edited by Rising_Suns