An Old School Catholic Message Board

Married Priests

Guest cathkidlookingforanswers

theculturewarrior

I have been to two different AU Churches. Apart from the strain it puts on the knees, it is simply the most beautiful liturgical experience I have had. (And I have been to Latin mass).

ilovechrist

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Apr 10 2004, 06:02 PM'] iloveChrist, what JPII teaches [i]by virtue of his ministry as successor to St. Peter[/i] is infallible. everything else is trustworthy and will not lead us into blatant heresy, but it's not all infallible.

anyway, the Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church have always allowed married men to be ordained, Jesus Christ ordained married men, Paul is the first to mention a discipline of not marrying for the sake of devoting all your energy to God, and very early on (4th century, if i'm not mistaken) the Latin Rite made it the norm for the priesthood, that all priests devote all their energy to the work of God not distracted by a spouse. It is a very good discipline which has helped the Latin Rite to thrive through the years. while it is possible it could be loosed, that would be a horrid mistake. This discipline is to thank for saintly priests through the ages, this discipline has helped us to spread to all nations because we have people willing to give up earthly pleasures for the sake of the kingdom. [/quote]
thanks for specifying that Alo--now i can quote that when i get back to my Apologetics class next week :D i'm trying to learn more and more so i can be a little more helpful in the Debate room, for those guys are a tad more advanced in their knowledge than i am :cool:

• 1 year later...

Thy Kingdom Come!
Tuesday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time

I recently studied this this in a reference book at school, and there was an experiement of 90 anglican and episcopalian converts who were priests and married. The experiement failed quite miserably as they could not balance the sacraments and family.

Proves to show priests will never be married.

[i]Yours in Christ, [/i]

Eddie Lee