An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do You Want To Become A Priest!

IrishG8s

OK all you out their who are being called and those who have been called and are reaping fruit. Why Do you want to become a Priest or a Nun. It's not an easy question but I thought I'd ask anyway.
-IG-

I think it would be really neat to be able to serve others all of the time. I also feel that I would like to have the ability to pray and study the Bible every single day w/out distraction.

Guest thomasaquinas3

Well, there are many reasons, the first is that I want to do what God is calling me to, and I think that is in His service as a Priest. The sacraments are also a very big part of that...especially the Mass and Reconciliation...but also bringing others into the family of Christ through Baptism and Confirmation. Thirdly, just to bring others closer to Christ, and to allow for them to continue on their journey towards Heaven. That is just the first three reasons that came into my head, I am sure that with reflection I could come up with more. God bless!

cantstopdancin9

I think I would enjoy spending all my time with christ and having time to study and learn the faith. Pretty much the same reasons as cathgirl said.

FaustinaVianney

That is a great question and I have been asked before and I can never truly say why, but I am as positive as one can be that I do belong with the Nashville Dominicans. Ultimately, I have always wanted to help others period. I thought to be able to do that I had to be a doctor or something in the medical field, but as I have grown in my faith I realize that the greatest way to 'help' someone is to do that spiritually. The things I do for others they may never know, but God knows and is healing them because of my prayers and other sacrifices. To me that is amazing. I have always wanted to help others, but at the same time be 'unnoticed' which is difficult if you are helping others physically, but spiritually, ah! They may never know of your prayers and those prayers can be immense in their healing. Why do I want to become a sister...because I cannot think of a better way to fulfill what God needs/wants me to do, help others while being unnoticed, and it is the only way I can become espoused to my Beloved.

well i first wanted to look into religious life b/c i wanted to find out what occupation i wanted to go into....then i found out that Dominicans Rock, then i realized that the whole Church Rocks, now I love priests and want to support them ne way i can. some women want to be priests i just wanna hold them up through my prayers and sacrifices. I'm more myself when i can sacrifice in some way for my priests, seminarians, and the Holy Father.
and another great reason to be a religious and a Dominican religious, to convert 'catholics' back to the Church. my town is mostly Catholic in name and it drives me crazy!

i agree with all...and i think the basic reason why I want to be a friar and a priest is that God loves me, and God chose me to be his and only HIS, he is a loving God...and that he chose me as selfish and unworthy as I am...

in Christ and Mary,
fr. Matt

p.s. I also think i loook oretty good in a black habit with cord and rosary!

I want to serve God with everything I have and everything I am, and if He wants me to do that be being a sister, then that is what I will do.

A friar is not a distinction opposed to 'priest'. If you're thinking of male religious orders, you have (traditionally) monks and friars. Monks are supposed to stay in the same monastery all their lives, and their main work (if they're Benedictines or related orders) is to pray. Friars is from the Latin word 'frater' or French 'frere', meaning 'brother'. Friars, like me, are not stuck in one monastery for life, but we live in priories (if you're Dominican like me) or friaries (if you're Franciscan). We live an apostolic AND contemplative life, so we have lots of prayer in common (Mass and Divine Office), and still to go around and meet people and work with them.

Friars or monks can be ordained or not. So you could have a friar who is a priest, or a deacon, or a bishop, and some friars choose never to get ordained. You address all of them as 'friar' or 'Brother'. Usually the priest-friars also get called 'Father'.

The same thing applies with monks. Traditionally very few monks get ordained, as compared to the friars, but things have changed for them.

The equivalent of a monk for women is a 'nun', and the equivalent for a friar for women is a 'sister'. Both get addressed as 'sister', and everyone confuses the 'sisters' for nuns anyway because there's little distinction in terms of habits. Basically, if you see a nun, it's more likely you've seen a sister, because nuns are enclosed in a monastery like monks and are less likely to be seen in public.

• 3 weeks later...
follow_the_pelican

[quote]OK all you out their who are being called and those who have been called and are reaping fruit. Why Do you want to become a Priest or a Nun. It's not an easy question but I thought I'd ask anyway.
-IG- [/quote]

I know this is an old question, but I thought I would bring new life to the topic.
For me, I realized how much I love the sacrafice of the mass. Note, "the sacrafice"
through the sacrafice of calvery, Jesus gave us the mass, his body and blood, and life everlasting. Through the sacrafice of the celibate priest, we are again granted the honor and blessing of the mass...and the Eucharist. It is through the sacrafice of calvery and the sacrafice of the priest that we have been given life everlasting. I realized that no mass is free! and that unless there are young men who are willing to sacrafice, to be become eunichs for the kingdom, we dont have a chance.
it is through these sacrafices we are able to recieve...and with out them we would be lost. Since I was blessed with that thought, I realized that "the buck stops here".
If I did not pick up this cross, who will? I began to feel a lot of pressure from all sides, I emmedielty desmissed it as the devils attempt to side track me;it was not till later I realized that I was hearing the voices of the faithfull crying for vocations.
Only then was I attacked on a spiritual level...any doubts I had on entering the seminary where put to rest! If this was not Gods will for me, why would the scumbag be after me like this?

in conclusion, I dont know if the priesthood is my vocation, but I am trying to live my current vocation, which is the call to holiness. This has led me to the doors of the seminary, I dont know where it will go from there.
well, thats my reason in a nut shell!!!

Spiritual_Arsonist

I keep on asking that question. Ask God. When he tells you, let me know.