An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wearing Veils In Mass.

DiscerningSoul

I love that this topic was brought up because I'm facing the same fear.

I want to wear one so badly, but NO ONE in my parish wears one and we are not the most traditional diocese in the US. The Latin Mass is only offered at the Cathedral of my diocese which is not close to me.

Is it wrong to wear one at a Mass that isn't NO or TLM? I don't have a veil yet, but I have deeply considered buying one.

And yes, what do you say when someone asks, "Why are you wearing that?"

Prayers!

Allie

[quote name='SstrAli' date='21 January 2010 - 05:22 PM' timestamp='1264112546' post='2041836']
I love that this topic was brought up because I'm facing the same fear.

I want to wear one so badly, but NO ONE in my parish wears one and we are not the most traditional diocese in the US. The Latin Mass is only offered at the Cathedral of my diocese which is not close to me.

Is it wrong to wear one at a Mass that isn't NO or TLM? I don't have a veil yet, but I have deeply considered buying one.

And yes, what do you say when someone asks, "Why are you wearing that?"

Prayers!

Allie
[/quote]

JMJ
It is never wrong to wear a veil. I cover my head before Christ in the Tabernacle, and to honor His Presence, not because I am in a church. It is because of His Presence that I wear one, if that makes any sense? I go to daily Mass on the Fort periodically, and NO ONE wears a veil, or even a skirt, or even pants that cover them up, and I do feel as if people are staring at me. But I am there for God, not for them. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cans.gif[/img] When people ask me why I am wearing a "doily, hajib, dresser scarf, tablecloth....etc" on my head I tell them that just as so many Catholc Monarchs wouldn't wear their crowns in Church, because of God, who is Perfect and almight; I too cover up my crownig glory. And since the monarchs owed their royal titles to God, I too owe my "crowning glory" to God. And, if you don't mind me asking, if you aren't English or Tridentine Rite, what are you? Maybe I am missing something?

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='21 January 2010 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1264116566' post='2041881']
JMJ
It is never wrong to wear a veil. I cover my head before Christ in the Tabernacle, and to honor His Presence, not because I am in a church. It is because of His Presence that I wear one, if that makes any sense? I go to daily Mass on the Fort periodically, and NO ONE wears a veil, or even a skirt, or even pants that cover them up, and I do feel as if people are staring at me. But I am there for God, not for them. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cans.gif[/img] When people ask me why I am wearing a "doily, hajib, dresser scarf, tablecloth....etc" on my head I tell them that just as so many Catholc Monarchs wouldn't wear their crowns in Church, because of God, who is Perfect and almight; I too cover up my crownig glory. And since the monarchs owed their royal titles to God, I too owe my "crowning glory" to God. And, if you don't mind me asking, if you aren't English or Tridentine Rite, what are you? Maybe I am missing something?
[/quote]

Tridenteen,

I wish I could gain the courage to veil. Like I said I don't have one right now, but I could get one. I feel as though I would be a distraction, as NO ONE wears skirts, veils, or hats in my parish and as I stated before we are not a very traditional diocese. I'd feel like people would just be staring at me.

Maybe I'm confusing myself. . . but I'm learning what the proper terms are for all of the Masses and I have yet to get it down.

The Mass that is said at my parish is everything is in English and the priest faces the people, not the tabernacle. Maybe you can help me out in determining what Mass that is? Thanks so much.

What is NO, what is English Rite, what is Tridentine Rite? I believe I have been to the TLM before (Latin, priest facing the tabernacle, symphony orchestra). . . .

God Bless,

Allie

[quote name='SstrAli' date='21 January 2010 - 05:05 PM' timestamp='1264118710' post='2041890']
Tridenteen,

I wish I could gain the courage to veil. Like I said I don't have one right now, but I could get one. I feel as though I would be a distraction, as NO ONE wears skirts, veils, or hats in my parish and as I stated before we are not a very traditional diocese. I'd feel like people would just be staring at me.

Maybe I'm confusing myself. . . but I'm learning what the proper terms are for all of the Masses and I have yet to get it down.

The Mass that is said at my parish is everything is in English and the priest faces the people, not the tabernacle. Maybe you can help me out in determining what Mass that is? Thanks so much.

What is NO, what is English Rite, what is Tridentine Rite? I believe I have been to the TLM before (Latin, priest facing the tabernacle, symphony orchestra). . . .

God Bless,

Allie
[/quote]
+JMJ+
a woman veils in her heart before she veils on her head.

NO = Novus Ordo. It is the Mass you describe, in the vernacular (in your case, English), with the priest facing the people.

a woman doesn't have to wear a skirt with her veil. i don't always.

you may be a witness to someone who needs it.

i'm not in the most traditional diocese either. in fact, i'm in probably the most liberal parish in the whole diocese. i still veil. i cannot help what other people think. i know why i am doing it, to be pleasing to God, and to emulate Mary, our Mother. if people want to judge me, then i must be humble and accept that, but to not veil (for me) would be displeasing to God.

God bless, Lil Red

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Lil Red' date='22 January 2010 - 04:49 AM' timestamp='1264135760' post='2042056']
+JMJ+

NO = Novus Ordo. It is the Mass you describe, in the vernacular (in your case, English), with the priest facing the people.

i'm not in the most traditional diocese either. in fact, i'm in probably the most liberal parish in the whole diocese. i still veil. i cannot help what other people think. i know why i am doing it, to be pleasing to God, and to emulate Mary, our Mother. if people want to judge me, then i must be humble and accept that, but to not veil (for me) would be displeasing to God.

God bless, Lil Red
[/quote]
Very well said, Red. I'd been thinking about doing it for quite a bit before I started veiling - no one at my parish veiled, but then a friend came with me and she veiled, regardless of what others did, and that was the last push for me. I was still nervous about it at first, so I started with a headscarf. The only time I got a comment about it was when I wore the scarf more like a hijab instead of wrapping it around my bun. And on that occasion my husband quickly spoke up that veiling is a longstanding tradition in the Church. :) I do wear a mantilla a lot now, but sometimes wear a headscarf instead. Just depends on what I have with me.

laetitia crucis

Ahem... :rap: .... *taptaptap*

First, I would like to thank our Oh-So-Amazingly-Good God and our Blessed Mother.

Second, I would like to thank one of my dearest friends, St. Anthony of Padua.

Third, I would like to thank everyone here for their prayers and support regarding veiling at Mass. :grouphug:

Why?

I FINALLY FOUND A [b]BLACK[/b] VEIL!

:woot: :woot: :woot:

And... I WORE it for the first time yesterday morning for Mass. Woohoo!

Granted, it took a 15+ hrs. bus ride to Washington, D.C., but wow.. so worth it. (And of course, the March for Life and Vigil Mass were my first priority being in D.C., but I really feel like finding that veil was the "cherry on top", you know?) :D

Okay, so my main problem was the veil sliding off of my head multiple times. (I have really straight hair and suppose this could be the culprit. :detective: ) However, a bit earlier I saw a post from Tridenteen linking pictures of a comb sewn into a veil. I am considering either that option, or sewing black strings to the veil so I can tie it in back. (This is how we kept our habit-veils tied in my former community.)

Anyhoo - just wanted to send a big "THANK YOU!!!" to everyone and also some encouragement to those that are still considering wearing one.

Oh, and when I wore mine, it was at a Mass that I didn't know anyone there prior to the March for Life this year -- just our state "Right to Life" group that I'd never met. I think that made my first time experience a bit easier. However, I am definitely going to veil at my local parish now. Having the color blend in with my hair is a HUGE help.

Bring on the veils!!!

DiscerningSoul

I just bought a new white one, my other one was abit off color and needs to be whitened.

Prayers for all those who our going to TRY to viel this Sunday, my heart will be with you!

a little tip: Go early, goto the front of the church(yes the front so you don't see the people but the alter, isn't that why your there anyway?) put your viel on and pray! Trust me you'll feel your heart throbbing but by the gospel you'll feel so much better, and the more your wear the better. :)

We are at the point where a traditional liturgical accoutrement such as a chapel veil is so rare that it is sensational. This is a great opportunity to be a witness to Eucharistic Devotion and to remind others of the realities occurring at the Mass.

P.S. My wife started wearing one after we got married. I'd been inquiring to her why she didn't wear one...the irony of it all hit her when she was standing before me at our Nuptial Mass wearing a white veil 'for tradition's sake' but she was too embarrassed to wear one on Sunday's for Christ's sake.

God Bless,

Todd

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='Veridicus' date='23 January 2010 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1264288014' post='2043062']
We are at the point where a traditional liturgical accoutrement such as a chapel veil is so rare that it is sensational. This is a great opportunity to be a witness to Eucharistic Devotion and to remind others of the realities occurring at the Mass.

[/quote]

One stick can be easly broken - but many sticks are hard to break, a drop of water can send a pail overflowing, many snowflakes may cause a blizzard.

Lets each be a beacon of hope and light in this age of darkness!

[quote name='Lil Red' date='21 January 2010 - 11:49 PM' timestamp='1264135760' post='2042056']
+JMJ+

God bless, Lil Red
[/quote]

Lil Red,

Thanks for posting this for me. . . all confusion has been cleared up. I look at getting a veil soon.

Peace,

Allie

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='SstrAli' date='23 January 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1264290883' post='2043105']
Lil Red,

Thanks for posting this for me. . . all confusion has been cleared up. I look at getting a veil soon.

Peace,

Allie
[/quote]
Until then you can wear a scarf or a bandanna. I have a pink one with a yellow chick on it and it says "Church chick" on it! I wore it once at Mass, because dum dum me forget to bring my veil.

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' date='23 January 2010 - 07:00 PM' timestamp='1264291243' post='2043109']
Until then you can wear a scarf or a bandanna. I have a pink one with a yellow chick on it and it says "Church chick" on it! I wore it once at Mass, because dum dum me forget to bring my veil.
[/quote]

I would if I had one! Thanks! I went to Mass tonight and was just thinking how beautiful it would be to veil. . .

laetitia crucis

So, I went to my first veiled Sunday Mass this morning and what did my eyes behold?

In the front pew, there was not one, but THREE ladies (that I know without a doubt I've never seen before) wearing white chapel veils!

(Or perhaps they've been there all this time and just decided to bust out their veils by the promptings of the Holy Spirit? :detective: )

I'm sure you can imagine my shock and, yes, awe in the goodness of our God. What a most surprising and unexpected consolation! :love:

Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

:kitten:

God never ceases to amaze me in His love.

brightsadness

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='24 January 2010 - 09:32 AM' timestamp='1264350737' post='2043424']
So, I went to my first veiled Sunday Mass this morning and what did my eyes behold?

In the front pew, there was not one, but THREE ladies (that I know without a doubt I've never seen before) wearing white chapel veils!

(Or perhaps they've been there all this time and just decided to bust out their veils by the promptings of the Holy Spirit? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/detective.gif[/img] )

I'm sure you can imagine my shock and, yes, awe in the goodness of our God. What a most surprising and unexpected consolation! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img]

Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/kitten.gif[/img]

God never ceases to amaze me in His love.
[/quote]

I thought of you this morning at Divine Liturgy. Happy to know it went well. The feeling of shared intimacy with other women who cover is something. We are linked to a deep tradition of modesty and faithfulness.

Edited by brightsadness

brightsadness

[url="http://www.benedictinenuns.org.uk/pages/partyphotos_files/page7-1015-full.html"]
[/url]

I could not resist.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/caption_cool.gif[/img]

[url="http://www.benedictinenuns.org.uk/pages/partyphotos_files/page7-1015-full.html"][img]http://www.benedictinenuns.org.uk/pages/partyphotos_files/page7-1015-thumb.jpg[/img][/url]